Practicing shows evidence of progress!

This is a discussion on Practicing shows evidence of progress! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a full day of shooting on Friday. It was warm enough to head out to the back part of the family farm and ...

Thread: Practicing shows evidence of progress!

Practicing shows evidence of progress!

I had a full day of shooting on Friday. It was warm enough to head out to the back part of the family farm and get busy with a variety of guns.

I took my three favorite handguns, the Sig P229 SAS, the new Kimber Ultra and my favorite 1911. Additionally, I took both AR rifles, the .223 bench shooter and the .308.

You know how some days just go your way? Man, I was ON. I've never had a day like this.

To start, I decided to practice with the Kimber. It is a tiny guy for such a big round, but I am amazed at how well this thing shoots. I practiced from 7 yards, 15 and 25 and was rewarded with some very nice groups (incidentally, my Galco holster is great...not a custom job, but it is a very nice piece of leather).

Next, I went for the full-frame 1911, practicing at the same distance. I've never been a bad shot, but it is really nice to see that my draws are getting much more relaxed, metered and the groups were the best I've ever managed. I should have taken pics, but suffice it to say that I put more than a few rounds through the same hole and also a clover leaf. I love that gun every time I return to shooting it!

Finally, I shot the Sig (.40). This is where my practice is really showing. I have finally learned proper trigger technique for this sometimes complicated action. My dry firing and drawing practice has made it much simpler to use this Sig, and I'm thrilled with where this is taking my confidence in carrying a concealed gun.

Sometimes, when you're practicing every other day, you don't step back to assess where you skills have improved or where you need to work harder. It makes it easier for me to do this when I'm shooting on the farm instead of at the range. I guess I just relax a little more and take my time with everything.

I'll never be Cirillo, but it is very rewarding to see that I'm progressing. I'm studying lots of new practice drills that I'll be eager to share with you all after I try 'em out. I'm sure most won't be new to anyone, but who knows?!

Happy New Year to everyone, and GO BUCKEYES!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Now, let me throw some flashbangs around, get your hear rate elevated, your adrenaline flowing, throw some more flash bangs, and a moving target.

Transition from your long gun to your sidearm with multiple targets and limited engagement time, Oh and for some more confusion, throw out a couple of smokers and a couple of more flashbangs and add in the use of a barricade, strong side and then weak side, repeat with a transition to your secondary weapon, then reload the primary long gun, on the run, with some more smoke and a few more flashbangs.

How do ya think ya'd do ?????

I can hit bullseyes all day long on a static range on the back of my farm, but throw in the most realistic battle conditions possible and it's a different mind set. Throw in shooting from a moving vehicle at static and moving targets and it's much different story.

If you wanna join the Olympic team, a static shooting practice is fine.

Just given ya some things to think about.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Practice does make perfection, well close anyway!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

feels good doesnt it. keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Now, let me throw some flashbangs around, get your hear rate elevated, your adrenaline flowing, throw some more flash bangs, and a moving target.

Transition from your long gun to your sidearm with multiple targets and limited engagement time, Oh and for some more confusion, throw out a couple of smokers and a couple of more flashbangs and add in the use of a barricade, strong side and then weak side, repeat with a transition to your secondary weapon, then reload the primary long gun, on the run, with some more smoke and a few more flashbangs.

I can hit bullseyes all day long on a static range on the back of my farm, but throw in the most realistic battle conditions possible and it's a different mind set. Throw in shooting from a moving vehicle at static and moving targets and it's much different story.

All well and good, if you've got the facility. Don't haze me for improvement...obviously I'm not as skilled as you are and have a long way to go before I worry about anything besides putting the lead on target when I can think. When you're shooting alone on a farm, it seems a little ridiculous to throw flashbangs at yourself in the middle of a field of tobacco stumps...and last time I checked, "realistic battle conditions" imply more that one person on hand...otherwise, there's no fight. Am I right?

I know you meant well, but geez...I'm working on it!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

One other option in addition to flash bangs is to start shooting IDPA and 3 gun matches.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A person first has to shoot well under target conditions BEFORE they can shoot well under duress. Don't feel bad about practicing and getting better, more people should. Congratulations!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    All well and good, if you've got the facility. Don't haze me for improvement...obviously I'm not as skilled as you are and have a long way to go before I worry about anything besides putting the lead on target when I can think. When you're shooting alone on a farm, it seems a little ridiculous to throw flashbangs at yourself in the middle of a field of tobacco stumps...and last time I checked, "realistic battle conditions" imply more that one person on hand...otherwise, there's no fight. Am I right?

I know you meant well, but geez...I'm working on it!
    Yup, ya got to get the basics down first before you start doing all the crazy goofy stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    One other option in addition to flash bangs is to start shooting IDPA and 3 gun matches.
    THAT is interesting, and I guess I'd never even considered competition as a means to improving your practical daily skills. Of course, after you mentioned it, it seems obvious. I read recently (COP or SWAT magazine?) that Jim Cirillo did LOTS of competitive shooting before he ever became a police officer (please, if I'm wrong, don't hang me...educate me!).

So. Do I look up 'IDPA instructor' in the phone book?

Administrator

I dont know that there is such a thing. The best thing to do is to go to a local club on the night the have IDPA shoots. Go and watch, ask questions. Most everybody is friendly, and get a kick out of helping a new guy learn what its all about. That only makes their sport stronger.
    Then, sign up for a shoot, just make sure you sign for the right class.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds like a fun day.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Nah... Just go to the International Defensive Pistol Association website and find a club near you. (On the menu, choose "Club Information -> Club Listing".) It's still not going to be 'battle' conditions, but the adrenaline of competition, worrying about screwing up in front of either people, and shooting against the clock is definitely good practice. It's also a lot of fun and a great way to meet other shooters in your neck of the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post

Man just walk into a covey of quail.. that will raise your blood pressure.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Man just walk into a covey of quail.. that will raise your blood pressure.
    I'll second that.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links