S&W1911DK Question....

S&W1911DK Question....

This is a discussion on S&W1911DK Question.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had the chance to look at and hold one of these Doug Koenig models and it was really nice. My question for those who ...

S&W1911DK Question....

I had the chance to look at and hold one of these Doug Koenig models and it was really nice. My question for those who either own one or have had the chance to actually fire one, is it worth the extra money or would a standard 1911sc or 1911PD be good for target shooting and local competitions?
    Thanks for your help.

Which one?

There are two.
    On in .38 Super and another in 45 ACP.
    I've spent extended time reviewing both and they are equally awesome guns, IMHO.
    If I had to choose on or the other though I'd go with the .38 Super version...assuming of course I'm spending someone elses money and not my own.
    BTW I very much like their squared trigger.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This was the .45 they didn't have the .38 super version. With that said I've never heard of that .38 model, could you tell me a little bit about it please?
    1. Is it more expensive than the .45?
    2. Is it single stack?
    3. Is it more powerfull?
    4. Does it have a tougher recoil/kickback?
    5. I also liked the Doug Koenig model, how does this one compare?
    6. Is this a Smith &Wesson Brand?
    Thank you for your advice I appreciate it.

I can do you one better.
    Here it is...
    Model SW1911 DK Pistol

Price: $2,417.00 MSRP
    * Oversize External Extractor
    * Full Length Guide Rod
    * Competition Magazine Well Extension
    * Crisp 3.5 - 4 lbs. Trigger Pull
    * 30 LPI Frontstrap Checkering
    * .38 Super
    * Designed in Collaboration with Doug Koenig
    * Performance Center Styled Slide with Two-Tone Finish
    * Doug Koenig Competition Speed Hammer
    * Competition Vertical Speed Trigger
    * Logo Micarta Grips
    * Hand Lapped Frame and Slide
    * Hand Fit Barrel and Bushing
    * A True Competition Ready Gun
    * "Doug Koenig Competition" (DKC) Serial Number Run

For the ultimate competitive shooting pistol, Smith & Wesson is introducing the Doug Koenig Professional Series Model SW1911, designed in collaboration with Doug Koenig, the world's most accurate pistol shooter. These models feature Doug Koenig's Speed Hammer, Flat Competition Speed Trigger with Overtravel Stop and a variety of other special features that deliver superior accuracy and performance.

SKU: 170257
    Model: SW1911 DK
    Caliber: .38 Super
    Capacity: 10+1 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 5"
    Front Sight: Black Post Sight
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Grip: Smooth Black Polished Micarta
    Trigger: Competition Match with Overtravel Stop
    Hammer: Competition Speed Configuration
    External Safety: Grip and Frame Mounted Ambidextrous
    Frame: Large
    Finish: Polished with Matte Accents
    Overall Length: 8 3/4"
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Weight Empty: 41.5 oz.
    Source - http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...t_category_rn=
    Answers to your question
    1) It is much more expensive than the .45 ACP 1911 DK. Over a grand more.

This is the DK .45 ACP

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

2) It is a single stack traditional 1911 highly accurized out of the S&W Custom Shop.
    3) It is definitely not more powerful than .45 ACP as it's .38 Super.
    4) This gun being all steel and heavy it shoots like a .22 in felt recoil but is ridiculously accurate. I mean that in a literal sense, there is no hyperbole there. Trust me on this, it is a sweet gun. Just like the .45 ACP DK gun only sweeter because recoil is extremely light.
    5) Again there are two Doug Koenig models, one in .45 ACP and a second in .38 Super. IMHO the .38 Super DK 1911 is the better of the two, and most accurate off hand. I don't know how they shoot bench rested as I don't train that way and didn't have equipment available to me to do so when reviewing either of them.
    6) They both definitely are Smith & Wesson product.

I train at the S&W Sports Training Center and have been for three years now. I've had opportunity to run through both of these guns a total of four times two per gun. They in fact were suggested to me by staff and the .45 ACP DK was most recently loaned to me by a manager toward a training course I was taking there when one my own 1911, a Springfield, was down with a broken extractor. Again the gun runs sweet, like a Singer sewing machine.
    Neither of these though is in any way inexpensive so try before you buy, twice or thrice. As well figure out what your intent for either is because these are not CCW guns, they are competition product. As well at their price point options are wide and deep. Even with the DK .45 ACP options from others are just as functional, accurate, and sweet. For example my Sig GSR in my hand and most others is just as accurate. It can be had for a lot less than the DK at that if you do just a cursory amount of shopping around.
    One last thing, the two I've had in hand had the Doug Koenig flat trigger as indicated in the product descriptions. Why the picture has a conventional trigger I do not know. But I definitely liked the flat trigger as opposed to conventional.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq...I'm speechless !!! First off, what an unbelievable explaination on the 1911 models...can't describe how well it was written. Second, thank you for actually taking the time to put in all down for us to read.
    The second 1911 you showed (cheaper DK) was the one I saw today and it was about $1200.00 as the other one (38 super) would have to be a special order piece. So with your help and advice I'm going for the DK .45 ACP !!!! I'm psyched to shoot this bad boy.

Links