Cleaning frame

Cleaning frame

This is a discussion on Cleaning frame within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this has been discussed already but I could not find anything specific on it. I field strip my gun after each range use ...

Thread: Cleaning frame

Cleaning frame

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I could not find anything specific on it.
    I field strip my gun after each range use and clean it and spray on some Remoil. There is small crevices and nooks and crannies inside the frame. What I was wondering is how does one go about getting the frame clean without dis assembling it? Is there some kind of spray I can use? If spray is used does it need to be blown out with air? How about spraying some Remoil inside the frame afterwards?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Breakfree makes a spray cleaner in a can. If it isn't in a critical area the buildup won't hurt anything and I don't worry about it. Polymer requires different chemicals than steel or alloy sometimes so be careful. Breakree is always a good bet though.

If you use a Q-tip you can get most of the stuff that matters. I'm pretty compulsive about cleaning my guns, and with a little extra time you can get pretty much all excess grime. The more you clean and learn your gun the faster and more thorough your cleaning becomes as well. I also use paper towels instead of gun patches(except in the bore). I find I can twist them into shapes and soak up more dirt than I could with the latter. I would recommend break-free too. I have used Rem-oil and feel that break-free is a superior product.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Administrator
    May I suggest a product called Poly Dunk-Kit.
    It's available from Cylinder & Slide Shop CLICK HERE

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't know what weapon you carry, but my 1911's are a piece of cake to totally disassemble. I find it relaxing. My favorite gunsmith recommends spray brake cleaner. It will clean everything, but I worry about lubrication afterwards. It totally removes all dirt and grease, leaving a totally dry gun. I can detail strip my 1911's in less than five minutes. Cleaning and lubing adds another 10, and reassembly is five minutes more. Add a function check, and I've spent a total of less than a half hour on something I totally put my life on. Cheap insurance, but there are still idiots out there that don't even check the oil in their cars!

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=30223

By the way--I just stumbled on this site. It's a very nice site!
    http://personalsecurityzone.com/index.html

I use Q-tips - the kind on a wooden stick. They do pretty well. If the cotton part is too big, rip some off so its smaller. I've got a bunch of them I stockpiled when I could get them for free. Maybe brake cleaner and re-lubing will be my answer when I'm out of these. That sounds reasonable.

Austin

I just use Hopkins #9 and clean white patches to clean my Glock’s, and Kel-Tek like I do on all the rest of my guns. Then a little Remington oil to treat all the moving parts

Q-tip with Hoppes #9 on the hard to reach places. I let it soak then spray with a gunscrubber solvent to blow and clean out the crud. I then wipe down with a old t-shirt and let air dry. I then reoil as required.

What ever you use make sure it is safe to use on the gun before.

Some good tips, thanks. The dunk kit sounds interesting, but after viewing a youtube video on detail striping a Glock,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BKwYNwox7Q, I took mine apart and noticed areas that had oil, like the firing pin spring. The dunk kit may remove this and I would need to replace the oil the same as with the brake cleaner (Thats some nasty stuff, as a contractor we carry about 4 cans of it ) As with AZ Huskers response, I too can now dis assemble the Glock, clean, re lube and assemble in about the same time. The Q-Tip and breakfree sounds like the best combo.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I use cheap non-chlorinated brake cleaner from the auto parts store. It's virtually identical in composition to Gun Scrubber, but a hell of a lot cheaper. Just make sure to re-oil everything afterwards since it take ALL of the lubrication off.

VIP Member
    +1 for Q tip with Hopes #9.

Sponsored Links