ATN nightvision scope

This is a discussion on ATN nightvision scope within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My girlfriend picked up a used 6600 NV scope. Lots of fun to play with. Gen II with BDC built in . She let me ...

Thread: ATN nightvision scope

Lead Moderator

ATN nightvision scope

My girlfriend picked up a used 6600 NV scope. Lots of fun to play with. Gen II with BDC built in . She let me mount it on my AR, wow sure makes the Carbon alot heavier. Anyway, we had fun looking around the house , trying it out. Sure is fun to have a woman who like the same stuff as me.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up Doggonit!

Your girlfriend actually buys Night Vision Scopes?
    You lucky dog you!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    My wife is a diamond but - no NV gear yet!

I sure would like one but usually costs are prohibitive. If I had one tho it'd go on my FAL.

I did buy a coupla years ago, a Russian NV monocular thingie - trouble is it runs on only a PP3 battery and if you use the integral IR emitter it sucks it dry a bit quick.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    yep. she is a keeper. Next, she is looking to get a tactical 870. She already has an XD, a USP compact and a .44 mag taurus as well as a .300 WSSM Browning A bolt. And she hunts and likes to fish.

Lucky Dog

Lead Moderator
    yep, and I tell her I am lucky to have her all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I sure would like one but usually costs are prohibitive. If I had one tho it'd go on my FAL.
    Some are reasonably inexpensive. The venerable PVS-2 with all the upgrades runs around $400 clams on an elcan mount. I own one, have ordered a second. It zeros instantly on an AR, but it's doable on the FAL. The negative on the FAL is the weight - about 18 pounds on a STG with bipod. Shoot from fixed positions is recommended, but let me tell you, it makes a hell of a weight trainer for the regular FAL. I'm no longer phased at all by the weight. ;)

On the AR, it's a much more pleasant and compact system. It's easy to do shoot and move or look and move on the AR platform, which is why I built this unit (RRA CAR Elite 16" upper, Armalite lower). I don't love the round, but I do love the package.

Compared to the PVS-4 (at $1500ish), it's heavy, bulky, and mean, but survives impact pretty well and runs on a conversion pack that takes 4 AAs. My battery life in winter is in excess of 80 hours typically. For durability examples, I had mine refurbed last year. It shipped from Texas to Idaho with the switch in the *on* position via UPS ground. It arrived a week later still humming, a radioactive package humming its way through the system. Those batteries are still in it and still running strong. ;0

Best of all, it's totally passive. For indoor use, it may not be ideal, but outdoors no coyote or man-sized target is safe within identification distances, typically about 200m under extremely poor lighting conditions when that same person vanishes within 50m without trying into the dark.

I've had *very* bad luck with the Russian NVD units I've handled when it comes to bloom and burn issues. Maybe the newer ATNs on the weapon scopes are better, but the last ATN goggles we tried were ok for an indoor run, but worthless the minute the room got bigger than the illuminator.

Regardless, I tell you this much, after seeing what night looks like with one versus without one, I hate to think what it would be like to not have one and need it at night against someone who did, no matter how crappy or old their unit may have been. At night, those with night vision will stomp those who don't, no matter what the mall ninjas say. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Robert - thanks for posting that - awesome package. Well I'd accept the weight probably to gain the function. May do some thinking on this tho I have in truth reached a near shut-off with buying - just spent too darned much if truth be known, tho well satisfied with what have.

Maybe some judicious herd thinning is in order - ''rationalization'' as they like to call it!! Trouble is - every time I consider a victim I tend to think - ''hmmm maybe - but not just yet''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah, it's a good setup in the scheme of things.

The one thing I neglected to mention was that the *only* FAL scope mount I've found that actually works well with it is the DSA one. Everything else isn't actual 1913-spec rails except for an ancient (and a little floppy) first generation Tapco one.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Links