Tried An XD Last Night

This is a discussion on Tried An XD Last Night within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had a good night at the range last night. - Gotta luv-it after XMAS. Mostly regulars like myself & afew "newbie's" with new guns to ...

Thread: Tried An XD Last Night

Tried An XD Last Night

Had a good night at the range last night. - Gotta luv-it after XMAS.

Mostly regulars like myself & afew "newbie's" with new guns to try out - one couple had (XD-9/ 2 RUGER MKIII's), another guy (BERETTA 96 .40cal & SIG232) who hadn't shot in years, & a couple of AF MP's in their early 20's dropped by to try out a new toy. An XD-45 w/gear

I'm not to familliar with the XD's, just looked a few in the past few months pondering, but one of these guys had the whole gear pkg. Gun/Holster/Mag holder/Extra mag/Case etc. - I was impressed.
    After shooting & sharing some normal banter/shooting tips w/them they offered me a chance to shoot in exchange to try my Beretta 92FS. It was an offer I couldn't pass up. So we swapped - loaded up some mags, and threw rounds downrange to targets at about 10yrds. - NICE!!!

Bragging rights here - I actually shot tighter groupings with the XD than my 92 last night, even after I discovered that it was shooting a wee bit high - DOUGH!

Everything was going good - I liked it alot - they liked mine..yadda.. yadaa.. when he decided to load up some Hydrashock Defense ammo he'd brought with only to discover it was .45GAP JHP rounds! Not ACP.

Ummm....I'm no expert by any means.......but did anybody notice the SHORTER casing?

He claimed the dealer he'd bought the XD from assured him that this WAS the right ammo. I know the XD offers a .45GAP version, but this gun wasn't that model.

Not to tempt fate.... I called over the local "pro/instructor" who was shooting that night - cause again - not an expert - and he offered his serious doubts about them firing properly cause of the obvious designation on the casing and showed us the cartridge comparisons.

.45ACP 1.5" - .45GAP 1" in length (I'm not getting into how may thousandths difference here)

And he was right. When chambered .45GAP seated too far forward of the feed ramp down into the barrel and the firing pin barely touched the primer on the round. Well the "kid" tried it anyways - YEP MISSFIRE - X 5 outta 10 - so much for that.

So just an observation. I don't shoot .45 cal and if .45ACP is the "norm", why would .45GAP (thought it was only a GLOCK designation) be offered as a defensive round for the XD? IS this a common error or are the models supposed to be "interswapable" w/ rounds? Or did the dealer screw-up? ( I find that surprising cause use him exclusively for my shooting gear & he has yet to disapoint)

I'm re-pondering getting an XD in the near future, and I really like the gun itself, but I don't want any screw-ups when picking ammo.

Later
    Last edited by cupsz71; January 8th, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: wrong gun
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cupsz71 View Post
    another guy had a BERETTA 92FS .40cal & SIG232
    Isn't a fullsize Beretta in .40 called a 96FS?

I'd bet you money the dealer that gave him GAP cartridges screwed up. I've never heard of anyone trying to interchange them, nor am I sure why one would want to. As far as I can tell, it has no advantages over 45ACP and is more expensive.
    http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/gar0506/

Interesting that you shot better groups with the XD than your Beretta - personally, I would have though that, shooter skill aside, the Beretta is probably more accurate. It'd be fun to benchclamp both guns.
    Maybe you liked the XD because it has the same grip angle as a 1911?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

DOUGH!! yer right I'll fix that

I couldn't believe the grouping either, since my Beretta is an accurate gun in its own rights.

I was just "blasting" for fun too.
    Last edited by cupsz71; January 8th, 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: saves on multiple postings
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I would have though that, shooter skill aside, the Beretta is probably more accurate.
    No, he just got lucky!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

A couple of months after I bought my G19, I rented a 5 inch XD 45, just for kicks and giggles, Right out of the rental case I shot nice tight groups immediately. I loved it so much, I went out and bought a 4 inch XD 45. I got a free box of Win FMJ with the purchase and it had 4 feeding issues with it. The same day I had these issues, I grabbed a box of Blazer Brass my normal practice round, and had 0 issues. I've had 800 rounds through it so far.

Get your hands on a Glock-36...I think you'll like this also...single stack and much thinner than all the other Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    [So just an observation. I don't shoot .45 cal and if .45ACP is the "norm", why would .45GAP (thought it was only a GLOCK designation) be offered as a defensive round for the XD? IS this a common error or are the models supposed to be "interswapable" w/ rounds? Or did the dealer screw-up? ( I find that surprising cause use him exclusively for my shooting gear & he has yet to disapoint)

Buy the XD with confidence. the dealer messed up on this one. The GAP is smaller to allow the manufacturer to get ACP ballistics in a smaller frame. I had a Glock 37 which used the same frame size as the Glock 22 and 17. It just had a slightly larger slide. A sweet pistol by the way just too hard to get ammo in my area.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

BAC
    The .45 GAP is supposed to have the same ballistics as a .45 ACP; whether it does or doesn't is beyond me, and I don't have the equipment to test this. The idea was to make a shorter round that did the same thing (something about saving space, making the grip smaller, etc.). The two rounds are not any more interchangeable than are the .40 S&W and 10mm Auto.

Anyway, yes, Para Ordinance and Springfield both make weapons chambered in .45 Glock Automatic Pistol. Why? 'Cause they can, that's why. Same reason you see H&K's chambered in .357 SIG and everything chambered in .40 S&W.

-B

Links