Sharps rifle

This is a discussion on Sharps rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ridurall It's a Shiloh Sharps with a 30 inch octagon barrel and $500 worth of sights, double set triggers a couple of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharps rifle

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    It's a Shiloh Sharps with a 30 inch octagon barrel and $500 worth of sights, double set triggers a couple of great pieces of walnut. He also has several bullet molds and a few hundred rounds of loaded ammo plus sized bullets. I brought it home for her to inspect tonight.
    You're special now I bet! What a man! if she wants it..........

Pictures! Yea!

2. Remove Ads

Below are some pictures of my Shiloh Sharps 45/70. I purchased it used/unfired from a friend who had waited over 5 years for delivery and then put it in his safe and never fired it. I thought that was sacrilegious and talked him into selling it to me. Prior to this one, I had a Cimarron/Pedersoli Quigley Sharps. It was a great shooter, but I always wanted to upgrade to a Shiloh, just didn't want to wait 5+ years for delivery. I hear their current delivery times are much less and they may have some in inventory for immediate delivery. Regardless of the rifle, expect to spend an additional 400-600 on a good set of long range sights for it. As someone else already said, to really enjoy the gun you need to load it with black powder. It's what the gun was made to shoot and while the Sharps design is much stronger than the Trapdoors, it is not in the same league as a Ruger #1 and should not be loaded with high pressure loads. Have fun.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Nice Sharps, it looks much like the one I just picked up today. Well I've got the Sharps and here are the pictures. The rear sight is made by a guy in OKC and adjusts for windage and elevation. The front sight has a bunch of inserts depending on the type of target you are shooting at. My wife and I are looking forward to putting it through it's paces. I'm going to build me a steel swinger to set out at 300 yards from my front door for something to gong when I feel like it.

Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

My dad always called me Hoss because without my mustach everyone says I look like him. I shaved it off twice in the past 35 years and both times people laughed at me for looking like him. This winter I've grown a full beard. No more Hoss comments for me.

Great looking Sharps you have there Hoss. It looks pretty much like ours now. One the barrel it's labeled "Old Reliable" and is probably 10 or more years old. We are getting lots of great stuff with it and I'm looking forward to getting back into casting bullets. I've probably got 100 lbs of #2 alloy in 1 lb ingots setting around here that I made up 27 years ago.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

One more shot of the cheek piece and left side.

I'm having a ball figuring out how to adjust the Baldwin Long Range Soule Vernier tang site. Whew, try to say that 3 times fast. I've got a piece of steel set out at 250 yards and a target at 100 yards. I'm dead on at 100 yards but have been driving myself crazy trying to translate bullet drop for the 300 gr JHP moving at 1800 FPS. I've only got drop measurements for up to 300 yards but trying to figure out just how much 1 MOA is on the vernier tang sight has been a challenge. Part of my problem was I was expecting to have to move the sight a lot more and was multiplying instead of dividing the drop and MOA. This is what I finally came up with that translates to the markings on the side of the sight. Any of you all understand this stuff? I've got a good range but the only problem is I need to know how high I'm shooting to make sure I at least keep the bullet on my property.

Distance Between Front and Rear Sight
    34" ............. 0.010 sight movement = 1 MOA

300 Gr HP @1800 FPS 45/70
    Ballistic Coef .17 Sectional density 204

One MOA in Inches ....Drop in " MOA@ range Vernier #
    100 Yds ....... 1.04....... 0 = 0 17
    150 Yds ........1.56....../ 5.4 = 3.46 20.46
    200 Yds ....... 2.09....../ 16.2 = 7.75 24.75
    250 Yds ....... 2.61....../ 33.2 = 12.7 29.7
    300 Yds ....... 3.14....../ 57.7 = 18.37 35.37

I've been shooting BPCRs for about 10 years and have competed in both Silhouette and long range with them.

Here's a pretty good site for how to adjust the sights:

Vernier Sight

I think you'll find that the 30" barrel on a 74 makes a "point" a little more than 1 MOA, for a 74 a 32"barrel is closer to 1PT = 1MOA. Really it's pretty moot and all are "close enough". Most spotters talk in "points", and once you've worked with a guy regularily he'll know your rifles corrections.

The Baldwin is an excellent sight, lots of guys compete with them.

I own a Shiloh #1 in .45-100 with a 32" barrel that I used for 800, 900, and 1000 yard matches and also a bunch of buffalo/gong shoots. I switched over from 74s to a couple Cody Ballard made High-Walls one in .45-90 and the other in .40-70 when I started shooting more silhouette. The 1885 has a faster lock time and is over all a faster action which counts when your on the clock.

That C-Sharps should have a badger barrel with a 1-18" twist, to really see it shine you should try some BP with a 500+ grain bullet. You're going to have to start a range log and record your sight settings. Once dialed in, you be pretty close next time depending on your conditions.

IF you want to load BP, drop me a PM with an Email address. I wrote an Article on loading for BPCRs that was published in the "Single Shot Exchange" a few years back, and your welcome to it.

Good luck, they're great rifles.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links