Sharps rifle

This is a discussion on Sharps rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife commented that she wanted to get a Sharps rifle. We've got lots of guns and enjoy shooting our Marlin 1895 45/70 and can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharps rifle

Sharps rifle

My wife commented that she wanted to get a Sharps rifle. We've got lots of guns and enjoy shooting our Marlin 1895 45/70 and can get the loads up pretty fast incase we want to hunt with it. Can the Sharps handle anything more then the old Trap Door Springfield could? I know they made them in 45/70/90/110 and several 50 and 54 calibers but don't know much about using smokeless powder in them. When loading for our Marlin I always used loads for it/Ruger #1 and the Simese Mauser. Who makes the best Sharps reproduction gun?
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

2. Remove Ads

If my wife said she wanted to get the worst turdgun in the world I would buy it as fast as I could... without any hesitation.

Other than that, I am no help to ya!

The new Sharps is pretty sturdy. It depends on the maker. Kinda like the RUGER thing +p usually means shoot in a RUGER only. As an ole SASS shooter I shot against the Sharps and Springfield guys alot, and they do well, they just cant put them down range as fast as my Browning 1885. Of which I am selling I might add. Its my second one and it has never been shot. Check the gun listings below if you are interested. In addition I might add the Trapdoors seemed to have the weakest action of all the distance cowboy long distance guns. IMO.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

With my wife buying guns has never been a problem. 30 years ago when we got married she already owned 6 guns and we've only gone up from there. Most of the time when I've thought about trading off a gun to fund the purchase of another she just said why don't you just buy it out right. That my friends is why we've been married for 30 years. Any way to get the gun she wants I'm sure going to have to kill a lot of bugs.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    Who makes the best Sharps reproduction gun?
    Without question, it's these folks:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

My son has been drooling over a "Quigly Sharps" for quite some time now, great target gun but a real boat anchor have you checked on how much those things weigh?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

There's lots of info over on handloads.com in their BPCR section. I'm sure they know all about smokeless too!

Austin

I'd really consider if you're going to a Sharps, then reload with black powder and not smokeless. Black is what those big cases were designed for. No, you can't get pressures up like you can in a Marlin, the old single shots weren't intended to be used as substitute 458 Win Mags.
    Black powder reloading is really easy, just fill the case up - no air space between the powder and the bullet - and go shoot it. Forget how many grains of what, it doesn't really matter.
    I shoot 40-65, 45-90 and 45-110 out of three different makers of guns. Shiloh is the best, no question, but you sure pay $$$ for them. Yes, they are heavy and mine's not even a Quigley model.
    Rather than magnum velocities, the big Sharps cartridges throw a huge chunk of lead at relatively low speed, so you can end up with big trajectory curves. But, it is amazing what that lead will go through when it hits. The only thing that I've personally seen approximate it is a 416 Rem Mag.
    Another advantage to black powder shooting is it makes the shooting itself enjoyable. The Sharps with black powder doesn't really kick, it kind of pushes. Everybody always likes to shoot mine.

I called the closest good gun shop (90 miles away) and they have 1 Quigley 45/70 with the 34" barrel. Said it was 15 lbs with a round in the chamber. They had 4 before Christmas but they only have 1 left. I'll have to check it out. He said it was from Italy and that most of them are but I can't remember just which brand it is. I assume the C. Sharps from Montana is all American made but has a 3 or 4 year waiting period. He did say it could handle modern higher power loads like my 1895 Marlin. I'm not so sure about that. My wife kind of wanted the Boss from the C. Sharps in Montana but they are asking around $4595 to $6700 for the Boss on their web site. They sure make some good looking Sharps but man that's a bunch for a smoke pole. I've got a custom Grizel action 257 Roberts that I had built 20 years ago so I guess I shouldn't gripe. I was just lucky in that while I spent a lot on the action and wood the guy that did the stock didn't charge me a thing.
    Last edited by ridurall; January 9th, 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: wrong price

If there is a Cabelas close by they carry them too.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sure hope you get a Sharps rifle and write about it here. A Nice Sharps rifle would be a really fun addition to a collection.

A good friend of mine is going to let me take his C. Sharps 45/70 home tomorrow while he thinks of how much he wants for it. It's got $400 worth of sights on it, lots of ammo, 34" octogon barrel and lots of other goodies that my wife wanted. Won't even have to wait 2 years or ship it. I sold my Weatherby 22-250 on gunamerica.com to the first guy that contacted me for $1500. That should cover about 1/2 what my friend will ask for his rifle. When I called him I just wanted to know what he know about the difference between the Italian and American Sharps. I guess I'll have to put up of shut up. If I get this one I'll be sure and give a write up about it along with a few pictures. We've had some family trouble lately and perhaps this will help my wife wind down a bit and put her in a better mood.

Sharps, Sharps replicas, and don`t forget the Winchester/Browning 1885 Highwall.
    Keep your powder dry

It's a Shiloh Sharps with a 30 inch octagon barrel and $500 worth of sights, double set triggers a couple of great pieces of walnut. He also has several bullet molds and a few hundred rounds of loaded ammo plus sized bullets. I brought it home for her to inspect tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    30 years ago when we got married she already owned 6 guns and we've only gone up from there. Most of the time when I've thought about trading off a gun to fund the purchase of another she just said why don't you just buy it out right. That my friends is why we've been married for 30 years.
    You got a real special one there, fella! Hold on to her tight! And get that Sharps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links