.410 Shot placement and Loads for SD?

This is a discussion on .410 Shot placement and Loads for SD? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's say that for whatever reason, a .410 pump shotgun is the Defense weapon available to you for the house. No search and destroy happening, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .410 Shot placement and Loads for SD?

Let's say that for whatever reason, a .410 pump shotgun is the Defense weapon available to you for the house. No search and destroy happening, just holed up in a room waiting for the BG to come to you. You've got 4 rounds to work with.

Q1? With what do you load the gun and why? Slug, #4, #6, 00buck, other?

Q2? It's certainly not a 12G for stopping power. Do you still aim Center of mass, upper thorax, neck (to hopefully rip through big blood vessels), or face (to hopefully blind).

I think I might load the first with #6 and go for a face shot. After that I'm not sure. Some #4 in there for better penetration. I don't think I'd bother with a slug, maybe 00 Buck if there is any appreciable spread at 10-15ft (three-.32 cal pellets, I understand).
    Maybe go in this order:

3. #4 or 00buck

Your turn.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    #4 at 10-15 ft it will be nasty

I wouldn't put birdshot in it unless you were expecting point-blank combat.

I'd use .000 buck if possible. I think the .410 000 bucks shells are three, .32 cal pellets. That wouldn't be much fun to get hit with.
    Slugs would be my next choice.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I wouldn't put birdshot in it unless you were expecting point-blank combat.

I'd use .000 buck if possible. I think the .410 000 bucks shells are three, .32 cal pellets. That wouldn't be much fun to get hit with.
    Slugs would be my next choice.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    I agree. I'd also avoid the head shot, unless the perp is standing still for you. You want to win, and you can't miss fast enough to win. Aim for center mass, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Lead Moderator
    Personally , I load 00 Buck followed by slugs.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Slugs only. Aim COM. On the off chance that somebody pipes up with the proverbial "what if the BG has body armor?", then I invite you to be a test subject to see if you can still stand up and continue the attack when you take a slug to the chest.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I'm a huge 00 buck fan in my 12 gauge, but in a .410, I'd stick with the slugs. Three 000 pellets just have too many options to deflect and miss the critical areas. In the house, you're going to be at point blank range, and I see no benefit in birdshot with the poor penetration. Pain...yes!

I've got 000 buck for my .410. Would shoot for COM.

00 buck for 12 Ga.
    000 buck for .410

No bird shot for me for self defense!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

VIP Member
    If you got the Mossy I have, put slugs in it. The wad won't even drop across a typical bedroom out of the 24 or 26" barrel you probably have. So since shot is not going to spread, you may as well use a solid projectile for maximum energy.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My HD long gun is a Mossberg .410 due to my girl preferring it to the 20 or 12. I have the three pellet load in it, but the last round is a slug. I tested some Wolf or Silver Bear or some such imported slug in wet newspaper yesterday and it was good, but not great. It was a 96 grain slug. Not sure what the Remington slug I have in it weighs, but 3 OOO buck should weigh 210 grains together. In my current set up, it only has to cover from my room to the baby's room, about 8 yards.

I see. I kinda thought there might be some spreading at 15-20ish or so feet. There was some out of my scout at 5 yards, but its been a long time since I tried that and that has a very short barrel (16"). Thanks for the input, all.

VIP Member
    Well I figure bedroom distance from the muzzle. My biggest bedroom still put muzzle to possible target at 14 feet. Try it. Get in the opposite corner from the door. Assume a firing position and measure from muzzle to where the target may be. I was down behind the bed when I did it.

By the time you put yourself behind the gun, add the length of the gun it shortens up a room pretty quick. My current bedroom is about 8 feet to the door from the muzzle. No spread on any shot at that distance. You can always try some different loads out. Measure where the shot cup (wad) is relative to where you fired from. Where the shot cup drops is where you will begin to get pellet spread. Anyway you slice you have to aim a shotgun versus point it.

The good news it a pump gun speaks the universal language. Also a miss from any gun is still better than no gun, as the folks on the receiving end should still want to leave the area where they received incoming fire. I'm sure there are some crackheads that won't but when they get closer hits should be possible.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Bird shot is for birds. I'd load 000 Buck or slugs. JMO

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Slugs only. Aim COM. On the off chance that somebody pipes up with the proverbial "what if the BG has body armor?", then I invite you to be a test subject to see if you can still stand up and continue the attack when you take a slug to the chest.

oh and who the hell uses 410 for anything other than learning to shoot a shotgun (unless it's the taurus revolver!)

Quote Originally Posted by something View Post

oh and who the hell uses 410 for anything other than learning to shoot a shotgun (unless it's the taurus revolver!)
    The .410 has been called an "Experts' gun", rather than a "beginners gun," because of the greater precision required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links