Defensive Carry banner

.22 Pistol

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
I am wanting to get a .22 pistol so I can practice a lot more. It is getting to expensive to shoot my .40 S&W M&P as much as I would like. I'm not looking for one to practice any tactical scenarios, just sight picture, trigger release, breathing, etc. and I don't want to spent over $300. With that being said, most people I have talked to recommend the Ruger Mark II or Ruger Mark III. Are these good choices? Or are there better ones? I read the Mark II is harder to clean, but in a lot of the reviews online the people didn't like the Mark III as much as the Mark II. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#4 ·
I sorta prefer a Buckmark but the Ruger is a nice pistol as well. I picked up a barely used 6" Buckmark for less than your budgeted amount.

#5 ·
I'll support the Ruger. Great pistol, but as was said before it's a pain to disassemble.

#7 ·
+ 1......on both counts. Not so much of a PITA to disassemble to offset the quality of the weapon though.

#21 ·
I also love my P22, it's a great gun. I have shot about a 1,000 rounds through mine and it works great. My wife also loves to shoot it. I agree, get an new or older version. There was an issue with the earlier models, the gun was very picky on ammo or something like that.

#11 ·
Also if you want to "toy" around with a Ruger there are tons of after market parts for it. First recommendation would be to remove the mag disconnect.

Here's mine:

#13 ·
I have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII, and I love it. I'm sure I would be happy with a Buckmark too.

I prefer the grip angle on the 22/45 over a standard MKII/MKIII, but I also like the feel of the Buckmark. I dislike the way the Beretta and Smith feel in my hand, and I'm not a fan of the smaller pistols like the Mosquito or P22.

As was stated previously, removing the magazine safety makes the gun much more user-friendly, and is the only modification I've done on my 22/45 up to this point.

#14 ·
I prefer the Buckmark myself. I alternate between that and whatever other gun I am shooting to spread out my time at the range and lower my overall cost. It is fun to shoot and I can drive tacks with it. Cabela's and Gander have a sale on these from time to time at about $229.00. I don't know if that is at every store across the country.

#15 ·
I have a Ruger Mark III Target... stainless with the bull barrel and I love it. I bought it for something to practice with as well. It's great for trigger control practice. Mine has been perfect. I have a S&W 22A Target as well but have had some issues with it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger. You can tell when you handle one that they are built right.

#16 ·
Here's another vote for the Ruger Mark 2/3 pistols.

My favorite .22 is a Hi-Standard Supermatic, but they're really hard to find these days. My dad has a Ruger Mark 2, great target gun (I can only outshoot it with my hi-standard on a really good day). You can find them for good prices, too.

If you have any 1911s, I've seen .22 conversion kits for those... I'd love to have one of those, too.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#17 ·
I have a MarkII Bull Barrel, love it, until time to clean. I have been considering purchasing a MarkIII 22/45, something with the feel of a 1911, but without the abuse to the hand and wrist.

#18 ·
Ruger or Walther

Either the 22/45 or the Walther P22 feel like a "real" gun and make for better training IMHO. For durability get the Ruger. We've had some durability problems, like a blown up gun, with the range rental P22. For occasional and economical practice it would be OK. I own both, BTW.

#19 ·
Having the same motivation (cost saving to permit more practice), I went with a standard Browning Buckmark. The grip and grip angle are very consistent with my HK, at least closer than the Ruger.

It's very easy to optimize the trigger pull to less than 3 lbs but that would be much lighter than the lightened trigger of my HK. Since I want it as similar as possible, I've only changed the sites to Firesites, less than $30.

I suggest going to http://www.rimfirecentral.com and check out feedback from the Ruger and Browning fans.

Just use some non-bulk packed ammo to minimize jamming. Bent bullets in bulk packs are far too common.

#22 ·
Even though I don't have a Ruger or a Buckmark I've handled and shot them and I'd choose the Buckmark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.