.22 Pistol

.22 Pistol

This is a discussion on .22 Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wanting to get a .22 pistol so I can practice a lot more. It is getting to expensive to shoot my .40 S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Pistol

.22 Pistol

I am wanting to get a .22 pistol so I can practice a lot more. It is getting to expensive to shoot my .40 S&W M&P as much as I would like. I'm not looking for one to practice any tactical scenarios, just sight picture, trigger release, breathing, etc. and I don't want to spent over $300. With that being said, most people I have talked to recommend the Ruger Mark II or Ruger Mark III. Are these good choices? Or are there better ones? I read the Mark II is harder to clean, but in a lot of the reviews online the people didn't like the Mark III as much as the Mark II. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

I've got a smith 22A. Some folks don't like'em, but I like mine. Cheap too, I think new about $200. That said, what I really want is a .22 kit for my carry gun, but haven't seen one for an XD yet.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I can speak for the Ruger MarkII. Nice pistol and very reliable. PIA to reassemble after cleaning.

I sorta prefer a Buckmark but the Ruger is a nice pistol as well. I picked up a barely used 6" Buckmark for less than your budgeted amount.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I'll support the Ruger. Great pistol, but as was said before it's a pain to disassemble.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I love my P22, although do some reasearch and get one of the later models, as mine is. I've heard bad things of the earlier models but I have over 600 rounds thorugh mine and its rode hard and still works great.

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    I'll support the Ruger. Great pistol, but as was said before it's a pain to disassemble.
    + 1......on both counts. Not so much of a PITA to disassemble to offset the quality of the weapon though.

Lead Moderator
    Browning Buckmark.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I got my advice on a .22 pistol here on this forum and a Ruger was recommended. I bought one and it is an excellent shooter. I haven't cleaned it yet so I don't know about the difficulty.....we'll see soon.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Buckmark, I had a sw 22a..to many issues with it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Also if you want to "toy" around with a Ruger there are tons of after market parts for it. First recommendation would be to remove the mag disconnect.

Here's mine:

There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I shoot silhouette with a Browning Buckmark, and it hasn't failed me in 20+ years. It is accurate, and easy to clean. My .02c.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII, and I love it. I'm sure I would be happy with a Buckmark too.

I prefer the grip angle on the 22/45 over a standard MKII/MKIII, but I also like the feel of the Buckmark. I dislike the way the Beretta and Smith feel in my hand, and I'm not a fan of the smaller pistols like the Mosquito or P22.

As was stated previously, removing the magazine safety makes the gun much more user-friendly, and is the only modification I've done on my 22/45 up to this point.

I prefer the Buckmark myself. I alternate between that and whatever other gun I am shooting to spread out my time at the range and lower my overall cost. It is fun to shoot and I can drive tacks with it. Cabela's and Gander have a sale on these from time to time at about $229.00. I don't know if that is at every store across the country.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I have a Ruger Mark III Target... stainless with the bull barrel and I love it. I bought it for something to practice with as well. It's great for trigger control practice. Mine has been perfect. I have a S&W 22A Target as well but have had some issues with it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger. You can tell when you handle one that they are built right.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links