Smith & Wesson Model 29

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Model 29 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a 30 year absence, a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum once again occupies a spot in my gun safe. This one is a Model ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson Model 29

1943 - 2009

Smith & Wesson Model 29

After a 30 year absence, a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum once again occupies a spot in my gun safe. This one is a Model 29-2, 6.5 inch, P&R, manufactured in 1971, in 95% condition, with the original box and papers, including the warranty registration card.

The nickel finish is perfect, no flaking or peeling, with a very faint turn line on the cylinder. The action is smooth and the lock-up is tight.

I'll post a range report later. Right now the snow hereabouts is belly deep to a tall moose.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Several years ago I convinced myself that my Model 29 served no practical purpose. Since I didn't hunt with it I wasn't far wrong. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Most likely I'll come across a deal on one and buy it someday. Congratulations. Yours looks good in the pics.

whats it like compared to shooting the 686 357mag?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Looks very similar to the one I sold in the mid 80’s. Great gun for the range… Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    whats it like compared to shooting the 686 357mag?
    44 mag can be rather punishing and after firing you really have to pull it back on target for a second shot. I'd guess that most used 44mags won't have had thousands of rounds fired through them. The 29 is a fine revolver. I'm also admiring the Redhawk. Don't ask me why I want these guns.

I have a 29-2 (P&R) also, but mine is blue. Love that gun... and I shoot it. Lots. That nickel sure is pretty, but I've always preferred blue guns.

If you're a reloader, .44mag is a _very_ flexible round. Loaded down to much lower than normal pressures, mine is still very accurate at short range. I've been using trail boss under a 240g swc with good results. These are gentle enough that my 15 year old 105lb daughter can handle them. Loaded up to magnum pressure with 2400 and a 180g lrn I've been buying from Midwest Bullets, it's accurate way past any distance I can shoot with a 6" barrel and iron sights.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I've got one with a 4" barrel. It is a great gun. I carry it when grouse hunting up north as I am in bear country too. I wouldn't part with that gun for anything. You have a nice looking purchase there.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Very nice. The model 29 is on my short list.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    Hey give me a faint cylinder turn line on a fine S&W revolver any old day.
    Dang nice wheelie Capn.
    Shoot it in good health.
    A beautiful addition to any collection.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

very nice revolver Harry !....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Talking Big ol Gooden/Good ol Biggen

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    After a 30 year absence, a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum once again occupies a spot in my gun safe. This one is a Model 29-2, 6.5 inch, P&R, manufactured in 1971, in 95% condition, with the original box and papers, including the warranty registration card.

The nickel finish is perfect, no flaking or peeling, with a very faint turn line on the cylinder. The action is smooth and the lock-up is tight.

I'll post a range report later. Right now the snow hereabouts is belly deep to a tall moose.
    You need to watch a few Clint Eastwood movies before you go to the range.Nice Revolver.
    U.S. Army Veteran

That is a nice Mdl 29 Captain, I traded mine several years ago for a truck and regrett it everyday, when I get back Stateside I plan on finding another.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

VIP Member
    Congratulations. I bought one (pre-lock, blued, 6" bbl) this past summer, other than the cylinder scratch it would pretty much pass for new. I suppose most of them haven't been shot too much.

During the recent holidays we did a little informal target shooting with a variety of handguns. My wife and FIL had never been around a Mod. 29 (I saved it for last ) I loaded it up for them using .44 Specials and let them shoot it, and them thinking it was mags. Afterwards I asked them what they thought and they said "it wasn't as bad as we thought". So I explained the difference in the two cartridges, then I fired it with a full mag load. Geeeez, their eyes were as big as saucers , especially with the reverberation of the shot in the woods. My son shot an old one-quart can of juice and that was impressive, it seemed to disappear. Afterwards they both declined to shoot the full loads.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    +1 on my short list . I just missed one for $300.00 , it had only been shoot 20 times .

Is the nickel version still a model 29? I know my stainless modesl are 629's just curious. I love both of my 44's. I have one with a 8 3/8" barrel with a Leupold scope ( deer gun) and a 4" version that I actually carry now and then.
    Very nice 44 mag, congrats!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links