NICS Check

NICS Check

This is a discussion on NICS Check within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to purchase my Pistol tomorrow (G23) and wanted to know whats the chances of them telling me i have to wait 5 days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NICS Check

NICS Check

I'm going to purchase my Pistol tomorrow (G23) and wanted to know whats the chances of them telling me i have to wait 5 days for the FBI clearance. Every time my dad goes to buy a pistol they make him wait 5 days before he can pick it up. the guy at the gun store told me that 9 times out of 10 there wont be a wait. If it matters i live in Michigan

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    From what I have experienced working in the Gun Shop here, is that common names usually get delayed no matter what they do. and from what I have also experienced is that USUALLY, but not always, once you get delayed the first time you usually are delayed for life...
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

so since my last name is Jenkins i will more than likely get delayed?

I've heard it actually depends on how many people have the same name as you. I've usually been instantly approved, and one dealer even said---"geez--you must have been a real good boy all your life"! After receiving a confirmation on my behalf. After getting my CCW permit---they don't even finish filling out my yellow sheets until after hours. The permit is basically a green light for me to carry it out of the store then and there. I don't know if being former military plays any role concerning the background check. I've never had a problem before my CCW permit either.

I had a problem once, and never after that. I bought an SKS. The people at the gunstore told me that there was an arrest on my record. I told them no way. They called me a couple of days later. Told me it was someone with my lasy name. After checking the SS# it was cleared up.

The main reason im asking is because when i got my license reinstated they told me i had a suspended license and unpaid ticket in Georgia and i've never been there, but after they called it turned out that someone had the same First,Middle, and last name as me and they also had the same Birthday, i was shocked.

I've heard it actually depends on how many people have the same name as you
    Yeah.

Cool NICS

You can request a VAF, which is a Voluntary Appeals File with NICS. They will give you an extensive background check and if accepted they will maintain file information unique to you. As a result you will receive a UPIN, which is a unique personal identification number. This number will be filled in on the firearms transfer application at your FFL, and the transfer check will take place as usual, but the background file will expedite the transfer on the spot!
    Just search NICS VAF on the internet and call the toll free number to request an application.
    A point of caution, whatever they find becomes record, and this isn't the local PD, or the Sheriffs Dept. It's the FBI, and your favotite Uncle isn't going to be able to sway the outcome!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

That must be a Michigan thing. I live in Pennsylvania with a very common last name and neither I nor anyone I know that has bought guns have a five day wait. NICS form fly at the local gun shows.

Move to America.

Sponsor
    NICS delays can be for a multitude of reasons.

One of the fastest ways to be delayed is to not give your SS# on the form, and not have it available to the NICS check when it's asked for [ though it's voluntary to put that information on the form ].

mag44laf called it correctly, there is recourse to being denied with the form he mentions relative finding out why you were denied. Delays nothing to worry about, but the form can give you an indication from the feds why you were delayed.

Most delays I see come back approved, the delay was to allow another examiner to further check records, which could mean pending as well as in your past.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

ive purchused three handguns in two yrs.never had to wait.walked in,
    do the paperwork,and walked out with pistol in hand.(sorry case i mean)
    but no promlems.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

My last name is White. I have had them come back with the FFL dealer still n the phone. I have also had to wait overnight. I am not sure there is any rhyme or reason to delays. I also have lived in N/C WV near the FBI center that houses NICS. Friends I have known that work there state that delays sometimes are just due to random screens pulled up by the "system" on certain purchases for QC purposes.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My check is always instant, and I walk out with the gun the same day. The most of a record I have is a speeding ticket 4 years ago.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I got delayed once, about 9 years ago. Since then I have bought dozens of guns and never had to wait more than (quite literally) a minute or two- - it has been pretty much "instant".

OTOH, I know someone who works for the federal government (not LEO capacity). This person sometimes gets delayed when buying on Sundays- - apparently 'cause this person has a security clearance and they have to find someone who has a HIGHER security clearance to get into this person's file/information/whatever, and ATF does not regularly employ such people on Sundays, so they have to patch some sort of communication through to the FBI.

But even then, it's never been more than 5 or 10 minutes....

Makes me wonder if the Director of the CIA or Secretary of Defense would just have to wait till Monday (or be on the receiving end of a phone call from the FBI, with ATF and the gun shop on the line at the same time).

I really need to get back to work...this conclusively demonstrates that I have too much time on my hands....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

in michigan? really?
    do you have your cpl or not?
    i guess i have not bought one since i got my cpl.
    but if not i thought any waiting would happen when you get ur permit to buy, not when you actually buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links