America's Gun Culture Fading?

This is a discussion on America's Gun Culture Fading? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wow, what a load of misinformation this guy is trying to dish out. COLUMN-America's gun culture - fading slowly? Bernd Debusmann | Reuters...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's Gun Culture Fading?

America's Gun Culture Fading?

Wow, what a load of misinformation this guy is trying to dish out.

COLUMN-America's gun culture - fading slowly? Bernd Debusmann | Reuters

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Wow, what a load of misinformation this guy is trying to dish out.

COLUMN-America's gun culture - fading slowly? Bernd Debusmann | Reuters
    Most of it is false. On the surface, the gun ownership claim appears false but it is not. There are more guns, but a lower percentage of homes own them. The article clarifies the percentage claim but uses a tenuous argument at best to construe that as supporting their claims.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Kids today are so bombarded by and are so vulnerable to media manipulation that I would not be surprised if my generation isn't the last to treasure and defend the 2nd ammendment. It's frightening to see how easily "those who know best" are able to subtly and not so subtly accomplish their social agendas.

When the article starts off with:
    (Bernd Debusmann is a Reuters columnist. The opinions expressed are his own)

A high school kid could debate the issue with more persuasion.
    He sheds no new light.

Pardon me while I scrape this off my shoe.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Matiki - I'm curious do you have any information that backs up the "more guns in fewer hands" phenomenon (other than the article)? The reason I ask it that post 9/11, I seriously doubt the claim that there are fewer firearms owners. Even if there are fewer households - I really don't buy a 32% drop(even over a 30 year period). As well, I also wonder about the line "personally reported". If someone asked me about gun ownership I might be just as apt to reply "guns, what guns?"

It sounds like some interesting statistical analysis is going on behind this "study".
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Pardon me while I scrape this off my shoe.
    LOL. I think that says it all.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    How would you answer this....?

Hi, I'm calling today on behalf of the National Opinion Research Center. I'm calling today to ask you if you own, or have in your home, a firearm?

How else would the pollsters get answers?

I know there are a lot of non gun owners, who feel that 'guns are bad'. There are a bunch of new gun owners as well. Every time some thing happens to threaten firearms rights, there are a bunch of new purchases, like after 11SEP01 & before the AWB went into effect.....The accurate percentages though...Who knows?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I'm sure that those numbers on those that personally own firearms (the 22 percent figure) do not take into acount the firearms that i have recieved from my father and he from his father (Hunting rifles and shotguns) that have never been registered. So think about all those firearms that those statistitians have no knowlede of, cause god knows we aren't the only ones!

As far as the younger generation losing interest, well lets just say that I've had my CCW for about 2 months, and it wasn't because I waited around! I'm 21 and my dad took me hunting from when I was 12 till i was 16 then i was on my own. I owned one Remington model 7 243 that I fell in love with, now I have considerably more. The point of telling you this is that I was NOT pushed or proded into gun ownership, I chose it. So don't believe that BS about no GOOD kids with guns!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    How would you answer this....?

Hi, I'm calling today on behalf of the National Opinion Research Center. I'm calling today to ask you if you own, or have in your home, a firearm?

How else would the pollsters get answers?
    Absolutely correct.

In the final analysis it doesn't matter how many people own guns or whether the 'gun culture,' whatever that means, is declining. We have a fundamental right to defend ourselves and a Constitutional guarantee of protection to keep and bear arms.

Thankfully, we live in a Constitutional Republic and a majority cannot dictate the rights of others. It would take a two thirds majority of our representatives and 75% of a simple majority of fifty states to repeal the Second Amendment. Not going to happen. Ever. Unless we lose our nation to foreign enemies.

Well written...but a bunch of

This guy is writing in 'Never-Never Land'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Well, the long term plan is to demonize firearms in general to the younger generations of kids thereby Grandfathering guns out of American culture. It is a plan that is not working...yet...but, they never stop trying.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Everything I have read from the National Shooting Sports Foundation is that gun sales are up as are numbers of new people shooting, particularly women and families. An area that used to be dominated by men is now starting to attract women in a big way.

Here in Arizona the Game and Fish Department hold frequent meets at local ranges to introduce men, women and kids to shooting for the first time. From what I've heard they are always packed.

I believe shooting is growing in a big way. If it wasn't, they wouldn't need to publish garbage like that....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Well flame on.....but I think we are a dying breed. Next time you go to a gun show.... Look around, too many breads.... The nightly news have made ANY gun a bad evil thing, and as Heir Gobles said....

Tell a lie loud enough, and long enough, and people will believe it.

People are buying them for protection, but not for fun anymore. Most of the people who get them will never shoot them, and the will be hide, or locked away never to see the light of day, like a virus. When is the last time you heard anything positive on regular news about competition shooting?

Look at how hunting is down. In Fayette County TN you can take 3 doe's a day and 3 buck a season, for a total of about 126 deer in a season. How many here have taught their kids to hunt? Most people now think meat is born on a plastic plate, covered in plastic.

I heard a sports caster on ESPN say he had never owned a gun......

Yes, we ARE a dying breed...... IMHO.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Tankdriver,

I do agree with you that hunting is dying off....Sad to say, but it has been PC'd to be be a bad thing. There will be a price to pay for this in just a few years. Poor wildlife management will effect a lot of other areas (but that's for another time...).

Hunting firearm purchases may suffer because of it, but defensive firearms sales are on the rise. Just look at how many states now have concealed carry laws...versus 20 years ago when there were VERY FEW!

Look at how many 'new' model handguns & defensive long guns are now out there. From custom 1911s, to polymer pistols, to home defense shotguns & the bazillion versions of the 'evil black rifles' that are now available. All of which are not cheap! If the numbers of purchases were down the prices would be dropping (supply & demand), but nearly every firearm I own is now worth more than what I paid for it! That's a good sign, although it hurts your wallet when you wish to buy.

I also acknowledge that a lot of the buyers are repeat buyers. A lot of them already have firearms. There are a lot of newbies as well, INCLUDING WOMEN.

A lot of guns are purchased & 'put away'...I'm even guilty of it. It's a shame they aren't shot more, but a lot of people do buy firearms 'just in case'.

Then add in the constant attack on ranges, they are getting harder & harder to find.....That may be where we need to focus more attention. While we worry about where we can & can't carry concealed, we haven't been putting much needed attention on places to train & practice!

Just look at this sites stats & you get a better feeling...Members: 17,307...that's up dramatically.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links