Pistols in the safe and their holster mates

This is a discussion on Pistols in the safe and their holster mates within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't feel like posting a poll with this one, but-------how many of you keep your pistols in the safe in their respective holsters? How many ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistols in the safe and their holster mates

Pistols in the safe and their holster mates

Don't feel like posting a poll with this one, but-------how many of you keep your pistols in the safe in their respective holsters? How many keep their pistols and holsters separate? I've gone to keeping my pistols in their holsters in the safe. Should I do this, or should the holsters get a 'rest' in order to hold the pistols more tightly when they get carried? Pros, cons, and all other advice welcomed. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I keep mine holstered whether they are in or out of the safe and on or off my body. Never had a properly made and fitted animal skinned holster "shrink" back down on me once it's stretched to fit, either. Kydex? No problem.

Except for pocket carry, all my holsters are IWB so the sturdy gun belt takes care of any retention issues, of which I've had none. The ONLY reason I can think of for not leaving a handgun in an animal skinned holster (except possibly horsehide) is that trapped/absorbed moisture can cause rust over time if neglected. Kydex won't hold moisture...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Leaving a blued gun in a leather holster could cause corrosion problems over time... less of an issue with stainless and polymer, or with a kydex holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Leaving a blued gun in a leather holster could cause corrosion problems over time... less of an issue with stainless and polymer, or with a kydex holster.
    Less of an issue with stainless, but it happens. I've seen stainless pistols left in leather holsters rust. Remember, stainLESS does not equal stainPROOF. Saw this with some friends in the hot, humid southeast when I lived there.

Unholstered.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Well, If your safe interior is very low in humidity then I don't see as how keeping firearms in their holsters would be any real problem.
    If you heavily oil your guns before you store them then some gun oil could leach from your guns into their leather. That might not be so great.

I have GoldenRods in my safes so they are always in a bone dry environment.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Have a Goldenrod in my safe as well but store them all on the door in the pistol hanging system that Fort Knox has. Never keep them in their holsters. They whisper and remind me sometimes that they like to breathe.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I don't have that many pistols but if I did they would be stored out of the holster do avoid any wear or possible moisture, expecially if they didn't get used much if at all. My primary carry is a different story, I see it more as an everyday tool and is kept in a holster for quick access. Bottom line, if you have a safe queen why keep it holstered?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    When my pistols are in the safe they are unholstered. The real reason is that keeping my pistols in the holster takes up too much room. I keep all my holsters separate from the guns with the exception of my EDC and it stays in the holster in a different safe from the bulk of my weapons.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Please don't keep them holstered! Even in a safe with moisture control, there is enough humidity in leather to cause problems, especially if worn recently. I don't even keep my leather in the safe...it's in a drawer where they can dry out slowly.

My pistols take turns in the 2-3 holsters I have for each of them. Sometimes they may just sit in an open rack with the holsters behind them...at least 3 or 4 are alway in a holster, and the others on on racks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Please don't keep them holstered! Even in a safe with moisture control, there is enough humidity in leather to cause problems, especially if worn recently. I don't even keep my leather in the safe...it's in a drawer where they can dry out slowly.

Some of the holster makers may want to chime in here. I have always been told that some of the things used in tanning the leather are what causes the corrosion problem. I'm not sure if it's true, but I do know guns in leather holsters will corrode.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Thank you. I can't exactly say why your opinion has made up my mind to do likewise. I used to have a sheet that came with my Mitch Rosen upper limit express holster that I cannot find, and remembered something about how leather attracts and retains moisture etc.... I've actually been keeping my empty holsters in the safe also. I have adequate desiccant in there, and I also looked at my holsters (the genuine leather ones) as valuables like my firearms and so kept them locked up. In the beginning of this thread, I was really wondering if keeping my pistols in their holsters would in effect make the fit loose. I'm now re-assessing my choices. Thank you again.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I've heard of some people using these.

Velcro holsters

Unholstered, I too, am leery of corrosion from a holster. Besides I have way too many pistols than holsters.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links