Firearms Access Question

This is a discussion on Firearms Access Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by American Pit Bull But this discussion is about a 19 year old in CT, where it is illegal for someone under the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms Access Question

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    But this discussion is about a 19 year old in CT, where it is illegal for someone under the age of 21 to possess a handgun.
    I bet its not. Show me where it says so. The premis of the question is not about possession. Getting a pistol out of Dads safe to stop a threat is not possession.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Sixto is right on the money.

You cannot buy a handgun from an FFL unless you are 21 or older.

In Florida, as an example, an 18 year old can buy a handgun from a private party completely lawfully.

Matt
    In CT one can not buy a handgun unless they have a CCW permit, which obviously requires 21 y/o. This includes private handgun sales. To privately sell a handgun in CT buyer and the seller have to call the state and provide both CCW ID numbers, and get a transaction number to put on the sale form. Then a copy is provided to the buyer, buyer and seller's PD, and the seller has to keep a copy for 20 years.

So I know that my son can not privately purchase a handgun in CT, that is out. Still searching the statutes to see if there is anything about being in possession of one while within the home.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Found this:

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Found this:
    I told you so!

Sorry, sometimes I cant help it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    You cannot carry it unless you are an agent of the government,
    Not in Indiana, you can get a CCW at 18.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Not in Indiana, you can get a CCW at 18.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I got to tell you guys... you're wrong. You can indeed posses a handgun under 21 in MOST STATES. You cannot carry it unless you are an agent of the government, and you cannot purchase ammo or the pistol its self, but you can posses at age 18. Look it up!

If its used for SD, in your home in particular, it isnt going to matter at all his age. He didnt purchase, carry in public or even posses. You, an adult did all that. I wouldnt worry about it.
    You have to read the entire post... Indiana is a exception, there are a few others like that if I remember correctly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    I did read the entire post, this is what I was replying to

You can indeed posses a handgun under 21 in MOST STATES. You cannot carry it unless you are an agent of the government, and you cannot purchase ammo or the pistol its self, but you can posses at age 18. Look it up!
    As I said, that's not the case in Indiana.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Depends on your state's law. Some you can buy a handgun until 21 but can have and use at 18.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I did read the entire post, this is what I was replying to

As I said, that's not the case in Indiana.
    LOL, OK...

"Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Here in Vermont, a 16 year old can purchase a handgun and carry it. A minor under 16 can possess a handgun with parental permission.

I bet its not. Show me where it says so. The premis of the question is not about possession.
    Sec. 29-34(b) No person shall sell, barter, hire, lend, give, deliver or otherwise transfer to any person under the age of twenty-one years any pistol or revolver, except that a pistol or revolver may be temporarily transferred to any person only for the use by such person in target shooting or on a firing or shooting range, provided such use is otherwise permitted by law and is under the immediate supervision of a person eligible to possess a pistol or revolver. Any person violating any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class D felony for which one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court.

Administrator
    Sec. 29-34(b) No person shall sell, barter, hire, lend, give, deliver or otherwise transfer to any person under the age of twenty-one years any pistol or revolver, except that a pistol or revolver may be temporarily transferred to any person only for the use by such person in target shooting or on a firing or shooting range, provided such use is otherwise permitted by law and is under the immediate supervision of a person eligible to possess a pistol or revolver. Any person violating any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class D felony for which one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court.
    OK, thats very nice, but it supports my argument.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OK, thats very nice, but it supports my argument.
    Your argument that someone under 21 can indeed posses a handgun in CT?

I would say that it states the exact opposite. I am up for a little enlightenment this evening though.....

Administrator
    Your argument that someone under 21 can indeed posses a handgun in CT?

I would say that it states the exact opposite. I am up for a little enlightenment this evening though.....
    OK...I'll be happy too. I'm not saying he can posses under 21, I dont know what CT says. I do know that in the case given by the OP, the 19 year old is not possessing the gun. He is using it, sure, but thats not the same as possession.

Sec. 29-34(b) No person shall sell, barter, hire, lend, give, deliver or otherwise transfer (Dad didnt do any of these)to any person under the age of twenty-one years any pistol or revolver, except that a pistol or revolver may be temporarily transferred to any person only for the use by such person in target shooting or on a firing or shooting range, provided such use is otherwise permitted by law(I think self defense is permitted by law in CT isnt it?) and is under the immediate supervision of a person eligible to possess a pistol or revolver. (Dad is this person) Any person violating any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class D felony for which one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I doubt it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links