New to me S&W

New to me S&W

This is a discussion on New to me S&W within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a model 39-2 some time back with some pretty factory grips. I like it, it to be looks unfired and I plan to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me S&W

New to me S&W

I bought a model 39-2 some time back with some pretty factory grips. I like it, it to be looks unfired and I plan to keep it that way. Today, while scouring the many pawn shops for potentials, I found a semi-auto S&W 52-2 chambered for 38 special wad cutters. I've never heard of such a thing. It was priced at $550 and appears to have fully adjustable sights, a 5 inch barrel and looks really clean. It also looks alot like my 39-2. Does anyone know more about the 52-2? Thanks.
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1943 - 2009
    The S&W M52-2 was made from 1971 to 1993. It was made for NRA bullseye target shooting, hence the 5 round capacity magazine.

$550.00 is a steal!

Buy it! I know of one for sale in my area for $1200.00.

Bud White owns a M52, he can tell you all about it if he sees this thread.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yup!!!!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

You got your Model 52 for a steal.

I hated mine. It was a true "jamatic", long gone to finance a better gun.

Biker

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Laseraim View Post
    I bought a model 39-2 some time back with some pretty factory grips. I like it, it to be looks unfired and I plan to keep it that way. Today, while scouring the many pawn shops for potentials, I found a semi-auto S&W 52-2 chambered for 38 special wad cutters. I've never heard of such a thing. It was priced at $550 and appears to have fully adjustable sights, a 5 inch barrel and looks really clean. It also looks alot like my 39-2. Does anyone know more about the 52-2? Thanks.
    I also have the S&W model 39, having bought it new in 1968 for about $125. I shoot it about 4 times a year and it works perfectly.

Regarding the model 52, which bears some resemblance to the model 39 - Captain Crunch above is correct about the years of production, and I remember seeing them for sale as new guns many years ago. Although they are fairly rare, which accounts for the high price, I would be hesitant to buy one for shooting purposes. It only takes one specific type of .38 revolver ammunition and you might have trouble finding a source of the ammo. As a collector item that won't be shot, it is fine.

Here is my model 39, which has aftermarket grips made of ash wood:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

1943 - 2009
    retsupt99 and BigEFan,

Keep your shirts on, boys!

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    S&W 52-2 chambered for 38 special wad cutters.

Buy it before somebody else does. Buy it as an investment. They are quite Rare and already sell for much more than that. Probably double that price.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I may have some ammo for the 52-2. The widow of a former National Guard pistol champion gave me a lot of his ammo. There is one box of Western 38 Special Super-Match mid-range semi-rimmed cartridges. They are wadcutters but the base is not like a regular .38 Special.

Left is a Western .38 Special Super-Match Wadcutter. The right the Western 38 Special Super-Match mid-range semi-rimmed cartridges. I'm sure you can't read the head stamp so: on the left "W-W 38 Special" and on the right "Western 38 SPL SR".

Does anyone know if these are the right ammo? If so and Laseraim if you buy the 52-2 let me know and I will send this box to you.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I may have some ammo for the 52-2. The widow of a former National Guard pistol champion gave me a lot of his ammo. There is one box of Western 38 Special Super-Match mid-range semi-rimmed cartridges. They are wadcutters but the base is not like a regular .38 Special.

Left is a Western .38 Special Super-Match Wadcutter. The right the Western 38 Special Super-Match mid-range semi-rimmed cartridges. I'm sure you can't read the head stamp so: on the left "W-W 38 Special" and on the right "Western 38 SPL SR".

Does anyone know if these are the right ammo? If so and Laseraim if you buy the 52-2 let me know and I will send this box to you.
    That's extremely kind of you. I'll do a little more research on it before I puchase it. I'll keep you updated. Thanks

1943 - 2009
    George,

The cartridge on the right in your pics is the is the .38 AMU, a semi-rimmed .38 Special, designed by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Training Unit at Fort Benning, GA. It is not interchangeable with the .38 Special.

S&W made 87 pistols, designated Model 52-A, with alloy frames & chambered in .38 AMU, between 1961 and 1964. In addition, 3 steel framed prototype pistols were made.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    George,

The cartridge on the right in your pics is the is the .38 AMU, a semi-rimmed .38 Special, designed by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Training Unit at Fort Benning, GA. It is not interchangeable with the .38 Special.

S&W made 87 pistols, designated Model 52-A, with alloy frames & chambered in .38 AMU, between 1961 and 1964. In addition, 3 steel framed prototype pistols were made.
    Thanks, Terry. I have a box of .38 AMU also from the widow of the National Guard champion shooter. Even though they are labeled differently, I figured they might be the same kind of ammo. I didn't check the AMU yesteday when I was looking at the other ammo.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I returned to the shop, it's still sitting there.....$550.00
    I picked it up this time. Very tight gun, no scratches, the bore is excellent and clean when the slide is pulled back. The shop owner says he has the original box and papers too. Ugghh!!!!!!!!!!!! Quick, someone send me $550.00 !!!!!!!!

S&w Mod. 52

Buy It! If You Don't Like It, Give Me A Call.

To Shoot This Gun, You Need To Reload For It---its Easy, More Accurite & Cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links