Want a .22 rifle,opinions?

This is a discussion on Want a .22 rifle,opinions? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; another +1 for the Ruger 10/22. Ruger just build 22's right...there Mark .22lr pistols are outstanding also.. And like others have said...the 10/22 has SO ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want a .22 rifle,opinions?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    another +1 for the Ruger 10/22. Ruger just build 22's right...there Mark .22lr pistols are outstanding also..
    And like others have said...the 10/22 has SO many upgrades and accessories, your ability to customize and options to make a real tack driver are almost endless. very easy to break down, change barrels, stocks, triggers...
    you really can't go wrong.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

CZ 452. Check out RimfireCentral.com has forums for all the major brands.

RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Consider a Marlin 60 too - IIRC these days approx $120 out the door. 15 round tube mag and comes with free grin-factor!!
    Love my Marlin Model 60.. At 50 yards I can shoot out an inch square. At 100 yards...... The same.

I agree with others. The 10/22's are hard to beat IMO. Especially if you may want to add custom parts or change things up in the future. You could build a custom 10/22 from start to finish with aftermarket parts. It's deffinately not cost effective. But you could do it!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+1 for the CZ 452 one of the best looking bolt action .22s out there. It's also a fine shooter. 10/22 just burns up too much ammo without teaching a youngster how to properly make each shot count. Your youngster will be a better shot in the long run with the CZ and it will last several lifetimes and could become a family herloom, if the democrats don't take them all away.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Another vote for the CZ 452. IT is a superb firearm and almost univerally loved by their owners. Take a good look and research at/on them and I feel sure that you will choose one. It is a bolt action and I have found that a semi-auto is really not as good a rifle for training. I tend to blast away without much thought about shot placement, whereas with a bolt action, the time between shots required to work the bolt gives time for shot analysis.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Another vote for the CZ 452. IT is a superb firearm and almost univerally loved by their owners. Take a good look and research at/on them and I feel sure that you will choose one. It is a bolt action and I have found that a semi-auto is really not as good a rifle for training. I tend to blast away without much thought about shot placement, whereas with a bolt action, the time between shots required to work the bolt gives time for shot analysis.
    That is why I went with the bolt-action 77/22.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Marlin 60. Nuff said.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    With a birthday coming up I guess it will require a trip to get a Wally World Ruger 10/22 special - stainless steel barrel and all. Shucks, I only have two .22s in the safe - one Winchester model 310 single shot bolt and a beautiful Hi Standard Sport King semi. Also love my Ruger MKII pistol.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

the 10/22 is awesome if you want to add accessories, high capacity mags, etc.
    i have a cheap savage .22 from walmart i bought for around $100 that works great!! just not quite as nice

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    That is why I went with the bolt-action 77/22.
    The Ruger 77/22 is a nice bolt action also. I've got the 77/17 and the prairie dogs hate my daughter when she starts in on them with it. Last time out she took 6 dogs off one hole. At first she was a bit queasy about shooting them until she saw a fat one start eating one that she had just shot. From then on she had a gleem in her eyes every time she connected with the 17 cal. She also enjoys shooting the CZ 452, her Browning BAR .22 I got her when she was 1 week old and my old model 61 Winchester. They are all good .22s.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I vote for the Ruger 10/22, like everyone said good all around plinker and tons of accessories. The factory sights are very nice.

I also vote for the Marlin 60. My first gun. Been shooting it for almost 25 years and have put 10's of thousands of rounds through it with no real problems.

Last but not least I vote for the Taurus 62, I have the Rossi version prior to Taurus picking up the line. These little pumps are just a blast to shoot, and if your going to teach kids these pumps are safer, imo, than a semiauto for kids. I shoot the pump more now than either of the semi's.

Last suggestion is don't go too cheap, as in quality on the 22. If you buy a good one, this is a gun that will last through many generations of users with proper care and cleaning, and you can shoot all day for 20 bucks.

Just buy one already and post a pick when you get it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links