GunBroker.com info is it a good site?

This is a discussion on GunBroker.com info is it a good site? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been browzing for a long time now and want to throw out a few bids. But the onlt reserve I have is what is ...

Thread: GunBroker.com info is it a good site?

Question GunBroker.com info is it a good site?

I've been browzing for a long time now and want to throw out a few bids. But the onlt reserve I have is what is their rep like?
    Is this a site I can trust not just giving my credit card info out either. Has anyone bid on something and been taken by a shady seller?
    I guess what I'm asking is are they a trustworthy and legit place to buy a firearm from?
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

2. Remove Ads

The web site's a good one, with a decent enough reputation.

You can pay sellers via money order or cashier's check, and only purchase if they're going through a formal retail shop that you can verify has the gun in hand. Otherwise, the risks of buying sight-unseen are what you think they'd be. And that's not Gunbroker.com's fault, as such.

I have yet to be burned, but there are some unscrupulous vendors. Gunbroker.com seems to try hard to guard against them and weed them out. Still, the occasional shady seller exists ... Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Guns America, your local newspaper, or anywhere else.

Keep in mind, though, that it's not Gunbroker that's selling you the firearm. It's the seller. Gunbroker's only the medium for your hearing of the sale, much like your newspaper's classified ads section.

Some steps you can take:
    • Get photos. Better yet, ask for a photo from a specific angle or view, of the gun in question, as that's not something the person will find on the internet. It's a good way to ensure that the gun really exists, as claimed. Many will be offended, but not if you ask simply and directly, in cases where there are few photos already posted.
    • Find out the serial number in advance of making a bid, then check out that S/N with your state police to confirm it's not been reported stolen.
    • Only pay via money order or cashier's check.
    • If concerned, only pay a seller after confirming independently that the gun is at the retail store of their FFL, instead of a fly-by-night alternative. Though, this cuts out 90% of the sellers, right off the top.
    • Speak with the person on the telephone, prior to bidding, if you can. Many find it simpler to get a good/bad feel for someone with a spoken conversation, given the cues you can read in a discussion.
    • Get a UPS/FedEx tracking number of the package as it's mailed to your FFL.
    • Or, focus on only those firearms that are available via face-to-face transfer in your state, if your state allows undocumented transfers.
    • Check the selling history of the vendor. Go with someone with a suitable track record. Avoid those with bad records. Use this feature like the BBB, as an indicator.
    • Be patient. Ensure you know about the class of weapons you're bidding on. Know about comparables, and know the relative grades of quality, condition and price. Then, and only then, bid on something once it feels right. This can eliminate a good percentage of the bad eggs.

I've sold a couple on GB, and I've purchased a few. Have yet to find a bad buyer or seller. Have met a couple face to face. Have paid fair prices for items that were as advertised. All in all, it's the precautions, I think, that have helped to make my experience a good one. Still, am keeping the eyes/ears open.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I have made a few purchases there. No firearms but, related stuff. Absolutely no problems at all.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

BAC
    Bought my Turk Mauser using GunBroker.com, and I'd use it again.

-B

Yes I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff on there. Guns, reloading stuff.

Think of it as an Ebay for firearms related items. Look at who's selling, or buying, and go from there. My experience has been highly satisfactory.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've bought three firearms and several accessories. Just like EBay, the seller has ratings next to his/her name. If you find one with several thousand positive ratings (A+, A) you can feel pretty confident. I usually trade emails prior to finalizing the transaction and have yet to be burned. Do your homework and I think you will enjoy the site and have smooth transactions.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I agree it's just like Ebay, there are crooks that give the honest folks a bad reputation. I have purchased many guns from fellow forum members and have never been disappointed.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    I guess I'm the only one who has had a bad experiecne with a seller there. I bought my AK through the site from a seller who had nothing but good reports. Did not get all of what was advertise and he quit answering my emails. I ended up being his only bad report out of hundreds. Not much I could do about it. I will not use them anymore. I'm lucky my brother-in-law is a FFL dealer so its not hard for me to get good deals.

Links