Bunch of new guns.. hopefully

This is a discussion on Bunch of new guns.. hopefully within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am getting rid of some cowboy rifles and some other odds and ends in the safe, hope to get around $4000 for my safe ...

Thread: Bunch of new guns.. hopefully

Bunch of new guns.. hopefully

I am getting rid of some cowboy rifles and some other odds and ends in the safe, hope to get around $4000 for my safe queens. I plan on getting the following:

$1100 Springfield Armory M1A walnut stock / GI
    $800 Springfield Armory .45 Champion Operator
    $1000 Colt Python .357 2 1/2" with and extra 4" barrel

That leaves me with about $1000 after shipping. I hate to admit it but I dont know what else to get and I have a rule - sell a gun then buy a gun. Always use gun money for guns. SOOOOO should I buy another Colt SAA .45, Build up a Caspian .45 auto. But my real question to you folks is about Smith and Wesson. Never had one and I admire there wheel guns but I am totally unfamiliar with them other than shooting a few old ones. Whats a good Smith in either a .41 or .357 caliber that runs about $1000? Remember they have to be collectable / unique, kinda along the same lines as the M1A and Python. Looking for some ideas. What would you do with $1000 and an itch you cant seem to scratch? Have fun with my money, help me out here.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

2. Remove Ads

8 shot 357 smith, preferably one of the M&P 8 shots as they come with a case.

S&W model 27

The S&W model 27 is a .357 magnum revolver on the N frame (large frame). It was the first .357 made by Smith & Wesson, had a high polish blue finish, and has been out of production for many years. The early models were pinned and recessed, and one in excellent condition will run close to $1000. They came in various barrel lengths from 3.5 inches to 8-3/8 inches. They typically have a wonderful trigger pull and are quite accurate.

I have a model 27 in the long 8-3/8 inch barrel, pinned and recessed and manufactured in the 1950s. I bought it in 1967 as a used gun for $150, but I figure the value is maybe $800 now. I think these are classics and collectors' items that will continue to go up in value.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I'd think a Mountain Gun in .41 Magnum would be nice for the collection. I've got two Smiths - both are flat black and lightweight. A 442 and a 327 - both are snubbies. But if you want a .41 Magnum, I think the Mountain Guns are real pretty...

Austin

Administrator
    I've had a thing for these lately...

Product: Model 327 M&P R8 - 8 Shot, .357 Magnum Revolver
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Instead of the extra 4" barrel for the 2 1/2" Python why not use the funds for a complete 4" Python. 2 Colt Pythons are better than 1.

The guy is throwing in the 4" barrel for nada. Who am I to refuse.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

1943 - 2009
    If your criteria for Smith & Wesson is collectible or unique, then you shouldn't consider any revolver made after 1982. S&W discontinued pinned barrels on all models and recessed cylinders on all Magnum revolvers in that year. P&R models are especially sought after by collectors.

Pogo2 mentioned the Model 27 .357 - good choice.

Add to that the Model 57 .41 Magnum.

Then there's my personal choice, the Model 29 .44 Magnum:

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Build up a Caspian 45. It will be unique because it will be built by you. Not very many people can say they built their own gun.
    You will like the Champion. I have two that share the 24/7/365 carry duties with my Colt Compact. Wear 'em all day long no problem and super reliable.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    So, I'm way off topic here, but $150 put in an account at a measley 5% interest in 1967 would be worth $1,108 today. Put into the "Dow Jones," it would be worth over $2,300... Of course, guns are a heck of a lot more fun than bank accounts and stock portfolios!

I'm with Captain Crunch - even though you didn't specify a .44. I've always thought the Model 29 was the second Purtiest modern revolver out there, after the Python you already have on the list.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Gun appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    $150 put in an account at a measley 5% interest in 1967 would be worth $1,108 today. Put into the "Dow Jones," it would be worth over $2,300.
    I guess you are referring to my S&W model 27 appreciation in value. You are correct that going from $150 to $800 in 41 years won't set any records. When I bought the gun in 1967 I wasn't thinking investment, but rather something I could shoot at the range. And I have shot it periodically for the 41 years, with mainly .38 special and the occasional .357 magnum ammo. It has shot very well - sometimes I think of it as the closest handgun to a rifle because of the long sight radius and 3 pound single action trigger.

I am as surprised as anyone at the appreciation in these older, used S&W revolvers. If I had only known, there were many others that I looked at in those days and failed to buy. I remember a blue model 29 with 4 inch barrel that was new in a wooden box lined with blue velvet about 1969. I looked at it in a gun store in Virginia, where I lived, and the $175 price deterred me.

I did finally buy this model 629 many years later, and will hang onto it:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The S&W I long for, and drool over, is my Father's model 19 Combat Magnum .357 4in. Seems to me, he bought if from one of my high school teachers around 1970. It's still the best shooting pistol I have had the pleasure to handle.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

OD*
    Monetary appreciation for firearms depends on what you originally bought.

The weekend of December 8th, a Singer M1911A1 sold at Rock Island Arsenal for $80,500 and this Python went for $13K.

GunBroker.com guns: Colt PYTHON NICKEL 3" very rare XMAS GUN # 6 NR (item: 87383948 ends: Dec-23-07 09:16:37 PM)

Singer
    RIA: The Finest Antique Firearms And Modern Gun Auctions In The US - Lot # 3692
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/upl...20web3_518.pdf
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

there was a smith .41 magnum (can't remember the model) that the border patrol used in a 3" barrel and fixed sights..... thats different
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I've got to go along with Opfor here and say go for an S&W Model 29 w/ 6" barrel. It was good enough for Harry Callahan . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links