Question for any FFL's here

This is a discussion on Question for any FFL's here within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know a guy who advertizes in our local newspaper who swears he'll sell firearms at only 10% above his cost after he orders them ...

Thread: Question for any FFL's here

I know a guy who advertizes in our local newspaper who swears he'll sell firearms at only 10% above his cost after he orders them from catalogs. My questions is how much lower would this actually be compared to my local gunshop? Will it be worth a 50 min drive to check this guy out rather than the 7 min drive to my usual spot? And is there any way us non'FFL's can see what these prices are? Just for reference a few pistols at my local shop sell for
    Kel-Tec P3AT 239.95
    Taurus PT145 329.95
    Taurus PT111 309.95
    Ruger SR9 399.95
    Taurus (J frame not sure of model) 349.95
    I'm hoping this guy will be worth the extra effort to go see. Thanks for any feedback in advance.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Administrator
    I'd stick with your local shop... they are right about at 10%, maybe 15 at the most.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    Agree with SIXTO. Stick with your local shop.

Consider this: the guy that sells for 10% over his cost isn't going to tie up his own money for a 10% ROI. These deals always require the buyer to pay up front. IOW, you pay the guy, then he orders the gun.

I tried this many years ago when I was an FFL dealer. Didn't work for beans. You can't pay the rent with a 10% profit margin.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    My brother-in-law is a FFL dealer as does it the same way as mention. His price is about what you have printed. And as stated he needs the money up front. The only gun you stated here that I know what they run for at a gun shop is the Kel-Tec. At the gun shops around here they go for around $250.

ANY business that requires money up-front is insolvent. If a place can't afford to carry an order until delivery shouldn't be in business. I'd agree to a deposit, but no way pre-paid. What guarantee do you have that they'll even be in business next week?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    ANY business that requires money up-front is insolvent. If a place can't afford to carry an order until delivery shouldn't be in business. I'd agree to a deposit, but no way pre-paid. What guarantee do you have that they'll even be in business next week?
    My brother-in-law been in business for years and years. This is how he always does business through his catalogs and keeps very little stock since his hobby is WWII weaponery. He makes very little money at this and this is not his main support. He makes only about $25 a sell but makes enough sell to keep his FFL permit alive. Just because you are a small business and can not keep a large inventory and need the money up front does'nt means you should not have a business. A lot of small time dealers do it this way and it is not out of the norm. With one call he can tell you what delivery date will be which usually is 3 days. There are still some honest people out there.

No insult intended toward your brother-in-law, he's probably a great guy. I'm not expecting ANY FFL to stock every weapon. I'm saying a businessman should have enough operating capitol to cover orders. You don't see any premium holstermakers charge your credit card until the order is ready to be shipped. Again, a deposit for a special order is acceptable.

Sponsored Links