Good buy? Officer's 1911

Good buy? Officer's 1911

This is a discussion on Good buy? Officer's 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A nearby gun shop just got in a Colt Series 80 Officer's sized 1911. It's had some custom work done to it. It's pretty much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good buy? Officer's 1911

Good buy? Officer's 1911

A nearby gun shop just got in a Colt Series 80 Officer's sized 1911. It's had some custom work done to it. It's pretty much what I've been looking for.
    It's been MagnaPorted, beavertail grip safety, ambi thumb safety, Novak low-mount sights. Bore looks sharp and clean to me. The guys there didn't have an estimate on round count, but it looked lightly used to me. No obvious holster wear or obvious wear on friction surfaces.

I performed all the checks on the 1911 Function test listed here: 1911 Function Check with no problems at all.

They're asking $599 for it. I'll try to drop by there again and ask if it's OK if I take a few pictures of it.

Good deal? What do you think?

Thanks guys!

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    Sounds like a good deal... but be very very cautious of "custom" work on a used gun. It usually ruins the value, and is often done incorrectly. Unless you can verify who did the work, and the work done is of quality, I'd steer clear.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sounds like a good deal... but be very very cautious of "custom" work on a used gun. It usually ruins the value, and is often done incorrectly. Unless you can verify who did the work, and the work done is of quality, I'd steer clear.
    Thanks for the opinion.

Assuming I can't get paperwork indicating (or proving) who did the work on it, do you have any suggestions on verifying the quality of the work?

I inspected it pretty closely (took at least 10 minutes going over it). The machining on the slide and barrel for the magnaporting looks very clean - perfectly straight cuts, no burring. The fit on the beavertail grip safety was excellent, also. Beyond a visual inspection, anything I can do to verify that the modifications were done properly?

On a side note, I'm expecting the guys at the gun shop to say "no", but I'm going to bring in a copy of my resume and a flyer for my business's computer services, along with a letter of recommendation or two, and offer them a "tune-up" on their computers for a discount on the piece. Can't hurt to ask, and I've traded computer service for much stranger things :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Administrator
    I best way is to find out who did it... if its a reputable smith I wouldnt worry about it much. If it was the previous owner who did the work in his mom's basement, I wouldnt even waste my time.
    A tell tale sign is the machining, if it looks good they at least used good equipment and knew how to use it. Thats always a good sign.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks. I'll ask the guys at the shop if I can take some pics, and post them here. I hope they can tell me who did the work, or put me in touch with the previous owner.

I have a problem because it's the first gun I've found that fits my criteria, and I almost feel like buying it without trying out a few others would be impulse buying. At the same time, I like it, it feels good in my hand, and if I don't grab it, it'll probably be gone in a week.

Thanks again.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

I love those Officers ACP's. Great guns.

Ask if you may take the gun to a range and try it out. If so, use several different styles of bullets to see if they all feed correctly. Use different styles of mags too.
    I too love the Officers and Compacts.(Same thing) My Compact is my 24/7/365 gun. Never have had any problems with mine. Price is about what they are going for on Gunbroker.

Good luck!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Colt Officer's

I'd say the $599 price on the Colt Officer's is fair and neither high or low. If it weren't for the magnaporting, which I don't like, I would be interested in the gun.

As for the beavertail grip safety, I consider that a plus on a used Officer's, and something that makes the gun easier to shoot. I take it that this is a fitted grip safety, and not one of the drop in models? I just had a fitted Wilson Combat grip safety and hammer put on a Colt Gold Cup, and it was a $175 job by my gunsmith, including the cost of the parts. But I like the way it turned out, as shown below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I like the officers model. Have two. I'm a fan of a ported barrel,many are not. The price is reasonable and from what you have said I'd go for it.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

It's over-priced, but not badly. I picked up a Series 80 for $450 a while back, and thought that was a fair price.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    It's over-priced, but not badly. I picked up a Series 80 for $450 a while back, and thought that was a fair price.

HK Dan
    You got an extremely good deal. I haven't seen an officer's model for less then 550 in a long time in my area!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Lead Moderator
    I think the price may vary $100 depending on location. Especially on a used, modified gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    It's a little high for a modified Colt.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

With the magnaporting, I wouldn't want it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Pics!

OK!

I went to the shop today and asked a few questions.

All the work was done by the Colt custom shop.
    The gun was owned by a police officer, and was a safe queen.

I know some don't like the idea of magnaporting - I'm undecided myself - but I really like this pistol and the price is within my budget.

Here are some pics:

Any opinions? I'm thinking "go for it".

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links