9mm - HK P2000, Walther P99, or Beretta Px4 Storm?

This is a discussion on 9mm - HK P2000, Walther P99, or Beretta Px4 Storm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi there, I'm in the market for a new personal carry weapon and am torn between the HK P2000, Walther P99 and the Beretta Px4. ...

Thread: 9mm - HK P2000, Walther P99, or Beretta Px4 Storm?

9mm - HK P2000, Walther P99, or Beretta Px4 Storm?

Hi there,
    I'm in the market for a new personal carry weapon and am torn between the HK P2000, Walther P99 and the Beretta Px4. I'm leaning towards the 9mm, as I don't really care for the .40...I may go to the .45, but I've always been a 9mm fan. Anyhow, does anyone have a good comparison they can offer on the 3? Also, I'm currently a HK USPc 9mm owner so I know and like their product but I've read/heard good things about the Walther and the Beretta. Sorry for the rambling post.

Rob

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum

Is your USPc your current EDC? I ask this because I am curious as to what is driving the switch to another carry pistol. Are you looking for something more compact? better ergonomics? etc
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

The P99s I've tried have not been the most accurate guns I've shot. I had a P2000sk in .40 that I sold because the recoil was a little crazy. I would have kept it if it was a 9mm. The P2000sk is a great little gun. The P2000 full size is probably not worth the extra money over a glock 19 or a XD-9. Don't get me wrong the HK is a great gun, but it's almost twice the price. I have not tried the Px4 storm but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I don't think you'll do much better than the USP compact that you have now. There is tremendous selection in the mid-sized 9mm market right now. I feel your pain. This might be the time to go .45? I carry a G19 when I go 9mm but I usually carry a 4" or 5" 1911 in .45.
    -Biker

I have a P2000 and a PX4. I had a walther P990. If you have the USP compact, buying the P2000 would not make much sense. If you are looking for LEM or another trigger configuration, you can always send it out to get a different trigger put in. The only way i would spend money on the P2000 is if you wanted a DA/SA with the decocker on the rear of the slide (where the P2000 decocker is) instead of where it is located on the USPc.

I do not recommend the PX4 based on quality problems i had (sights, gun finish). I do like the Walthers, but for the money, I would stay with H&K.

Then there is the question: Do you want to keep the mag release the same for your carry guns? It that is yes, then stay w/ the H&K or a Walther.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Since you have a HK USP....how about a Sig 239,or a 228? just my $.02

Yes, the USPc is my primary carry. I guess I was looking for something more ergonomic and the Beretta and the Walther both look comfortable. I'm hoping my local range will have them both for rent soon so I can try them out. The Beretta also spiked my interest as it can share mags with the CX4 which I've got my eye on too...

Ron
    I have a Walther and my experience, and the experience of other P99 owners I am aware of, is that we all love the gun and find it to be a lot more accurate then our shooting ability.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

A friend of mine purchased a PX4 9mm a year or so ago. It's been a really nice 9mm handgun for him. The single action trigger was nice and crisp which is a big help for accuracy.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    If you have the USPc you really wouldn't be gaining anything by purchasing the P2000. In fact, the P2000 is actually larger than the USPc. As for ergonomics, I would suggest you try the SW M&P (even though you didn't ask about this one). It has such a great feel, points well and very reliable. My wife's M&P in 9mm has almost 2,000 rounds through it without a single hiccup.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Moderator
    Another vote for the M&P. I traded my USP .40 for the 9c, and I am quite happy with it.

You are quite close, if you'd like to try the M&P send me a PM and we can meet at a range sometime.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks for the offer! To be honest, I'd never even heard of the M&P until you guys mentioned it. I'll take a look at the web site. Also, in looking at the Walther site, I see the new PPS and it looks like it might be a contender as well...I'll have to wait till the next gun show rolls into town now:)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The owners have given p99 excellent reviews in the past. Shipwreck where are
    you when we need you to expound.I can only harp about SW45 andtell everybody this is the best trigger on a pistol I have ever shot period!

Try...

...the HK P2000SK?
    My daily carry is the SK in .40
    After seeing what one of the members did to cut down the pinky extension, I tried it. It's a very noticeable improvement over the standard pinky extension and is now VERY comfortable to shoot, more accurate than I am and my night sites (Mepros;TruDot) costed me only $70 installed!
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the Forum. You're going to love it. You'll be rubbing shoulders with some real pros (present company excluded). This past week was my one year anniversary. Still waiting for the gifts. All above advice is great. I agree that the HD Compact and 2000 are really not that different except a tad bigger. If you are used to a 9mm, the .45 will grab you and shake you up and down at first. Had a 99 and sorry I sold it. Worked perfect for me. Shot straight. Not fond of the new QA with the ever-so-small decocker on the top! What was that all about?? I have heard great praise for the PX storm and unbelievable praise for any XD out there. Ditto for the ever-reliable but butt-ugly Glocks.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm a proud, three-times over P99 owner (P99 AS Military 9mm, P99 QA Titanium .40, and P99 Compact AS). I'm also a fan of the Px4 and have fired one a few times. I've shot a P2000 LEM once and didn't care for the trigger too much....too "mushy" with no palatible trigger reset unlike the SIG DAK triggers which have a really good reset.

Being a fellow FL resident, I'd consider the P99 Compact...easier to conceal in our hot FL weather. However, it is as small as the Glock 26...but since I have hands on the small side, it's no big deal for me.

Beretta also has the Px4 Subcompact in 9mm....another contender for sure.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links