Where should I find solid info for ammo?

This is a discussion on Where should I find solid info for ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will get my Sigma tommorow and after giving it the initial cleaning I am clueless as what type of ammo is better for practice ...

Thread: Where should I find solid info for ammo?

Where should I find solid info for ammo?

I will get my Sigma tommorow and after giving it the initial cleaning I am clueless as what type of ammo is better for practice and what to use as HD. I am reaaly eager to put at least 200 rounds.I have looked around for bullet weights and am clueless as to what it would do for my personal protection? I imagine the heavier the round the better. Please give me some input. Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

try ammunition wikipedia,has alot of info onjust about every kinda ammo.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Look, unless you are rich or shooting in some kind of competition the cheaper the better for simply putting holes in paper at close defensive ranges I say. Winchester White Box from Wally World is what a lot of us use for that. I have gone through thousands of rounds of this and other low cost ammo without any problems. As for a good home defense ammo you might want to try several of the higher end brands such as Federal Hydra Shok and see what feeds through your gun best. Some guns are picky especially with hollow points.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Get WWB for practice and corbon pow"r"balls for SD.
    When you get it broke in, then experiment with other SD rnds until you find what you like best.

Thanks! I am using 170 gr. fiochhio fmj ball ammo for practice. They are 17.00 for 50 tax included. I like my Sigma but the trigger is heavy. I was told by the sales man to keep fiing the gun for about 90 days and if the trigger is still troublesome then proceed to get some work done. he has a DA only gun and he says in three months he got used to it. He was carrying this particular gun. I have heard that dry firing will help loosen the trigger on a DA. Is this true?

Caliber hasn't been mentioned, but I'll assume this gun is .40 S&W since you're using 170 grain ammo. You can save yourself some money by dry firing to help break in the trigger. Ammo prices aren't too good right now - if you go to Walmart and get whatever's cheapest, you'll do just fine. For self defense, practice is most important - ammo is the final touch. As long as its reliable it'll serve you just fine IMO

Austin

thnks Austin! it is a .40 caliber

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    For practicing with my .40 I shoot Winchester white box from Walmart. It's $22/box of 100 at the local store. For self defense, I have my gun loaded with Winchester Ranger T-Series (open with razorblade-like talons) because that's what I shoot best right now. As a backup I also have some Federal HST's (largest exanding hollow point on market). Both are "Law Enforcement" ammunition, meaning the manufacturer tries to keep it for LEO only, but civilians can get it. You can get the Ranger T-Series from SCGuy on this forum. The Federal HST's I got from ammunitiontogo.com

That said, any modern hollow point will do well for self defense as long as you can shoot it well and it feeds in your gun without fail. Buy a few different ones, and the one you shoot best, stick with it.

Links