Anyone heard of JD Custom?

This is a discussion on Anyone heard of JD Custom? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry to (kind of) re-post, but my other thread died and my question got buried a couple pages in. I'm looking at buying this nice ...

Sorry to (kind of) re-post, but my other thread died and my question got buried a couple pages in.

I'm looking at buying this nice Officer's size Colt 1911 with some modifications done.

Upon tracking down the previous owner and asking a few questions, most of the work was done by a company called JD Custom, and the porting was done by Mag-Na-Port International themselves.

Has anyone heard of JD Custom? I found this web page mentioning them, and their phone number is still active, but no one answers. I left a message. Jd Custom Guns, Decatur TN 37322 -- MerchantCircle.com

Here's the gun in question:

Asking price is $599, I'm pretty sure they'd take $500 if I walked in with cash.

I'm a little hesitant to buy it without verifying that JD Custom does some decent work first...

What do you guys think?

Thanks a ton!

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I would stay away from a ported gun for CCW. The flash at night makes follow up shots impossible. Also, what with the silver front sight?

For $599 you could get a new Springfield 4" mil-spec.
    -Biker

Gold trigger, silver front sight, ported......

I don't know, kind of goofy. Just feels like someone "playing around" to me.

I could be way wrong, but I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling on this one. FWIW.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Not under any circumstances would I purchase a ported pistol for self defense. If I were unarmed and disarmed a BG to fight off other BGs I would use it but I would not buy one. I have never felt the need to port a .45 anyway especially a semi auto.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

For less money, you can buy a NIB, un-fooled around with, SA 1911a1 officer's model. Down the road you can have a known 'smith add custom touches to suit your tastes.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I appreciate the opinions and I'm getting the feeling I should have some patience and keep looking for "the right one".

As to the porting - you're probably right, the added muzzle flash and noise, and difficulty shooting from retention, aren't worth the decrease in muzzle flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    For less money, you can buy a NIB, un-fooled around with, SA 1911a1 officer's model. Down the road you can have a known 'smith add custom touches to suit your tastes.
    Link please?? I'd love to find a brand-new Officer's size 1911 for under $500. Haven't seen one yet. Thanks :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Pete I'm still the odd man out but I like the looks of the gun. Have had several that have been magnaported. No problems. Some time back I posted about testing the magnaported gun (Colt Delta Elite) against a snubby 357 and a defender at night. The muzzle flash wasn't any brighter then the snubby and retention on a snubby is gonna get some powder on ya!!

If you don't like porting you don't like it and thats everyones right. You might like it however.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I have no specific gripe about a non defensive use pistol being ported. However, there are times when a defensive pistol may need to be discharged from a position other than a traditional shooting position. Shooting a ported gun from a retention or extreme close quarters position may vent gas, un-burnt powder etc into the shooters eyes. This stuff is hot and contains particles that, while low in mass, are traveling at high speeds. This can lead to eye damage! I'm not talking about a momentary loss of night vision here folks.

The SA GI spec officer's pistol can be viewed at Springfield Armory

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Link please?? I'd love to find a brand-new Officer's size 1911 for under $500. Haven't seen one yet. Thanks :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    I don't think you can, this is the lowest I've seen them;
    SPG PX9142LP CHAMP TNS 45SS PKG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I personally have no problem with the pistol pictured above. I would carry it in a second once I verified the reliability. $500 is a good price.

jw

Pete,

I was a little off. SA makes the GI .45 in full 5, 4 and 3 inch. The officers frame gun is a 3.5 inch. The SA micro is still less than $500 new in box.

You know, having thought about it...

I saw this gun in the shop and fell in love (gunlust?) with it because it was the first Officer's size 1911 I'd found that met my criteria and my price range. It's a nice piece, but I'm not sold on the mag-na-porting for a carry gun, and I don't like the fact that I can't seem to get in touch with JD Custom or anyone that's even heard of them.

Plus, for the money it'd cost me to have tritium sights and a tune-up done on that gun, I'm most of the way to a new Springfield Loaded. So I think I'll do my best to be patient (my permit wont be here for a couple of weeks anyway) and save another paycheck or two.

This looks nice: Springfield Loaded Champion/Ultra Compact 1911-A1 Pistol PX9142LP, 45 ACP, 4 in Bull, Cocobolo Wood :) I'm pretty sure they put down "single/double action" by typo, since Springfield doesn't make DA 1911s.... do they?

Thanks, guys.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

No Springfield DA 1911s.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Sad minor point to a previous post; you can't buy a Springfield officers sized 1911 but I sure wish you could!! They make a micro with 3" barrel and the officer's frame but nothing with the officer's frame and a 4" barrel but I'm praying!!!!

I too think it might be better to consider other options without the ported barrel.

God Bless
    Gideon

Links