.50 cal. 1911 Beast

This is a discussion on .50 cal. 1911 Beast within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have one of these or have any experience with one? Or know anything about Guncrafters? I have never heard of them. Pricey, with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .50 cal. 1911 Beast

.50 cal. 1911 Beast

Does anyone have one of these or have any experience with one? Or know anything about Guncrafters? I have never heard of them. Pricey, with proprietary ammo but .50 cal sure is tempting and she sure is purdy
    Guncrafters

.50gi Model 1

.50gi Model 2
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

A friend of mine (the maker of those Alumagrips shown) has one and loves it. Doesn't shoot it often because of the ammo costs. He'll have it on display at the SHOT Show if you want to see one in person.

I think there is at least one recent thread (like a week old at the most) about this gun. I would get one of I won the Lotto - but since I don't play, chances are slim.

Austin

That says California approved. I thought California was trying to get or had a ban on .50 caliber guns.

a .45 barrel swap too. hmm, this is tempting.
    do you think you can get a .22 conversion for it? im assuming not.
    if you could, i might consider it.
    i cant imagine the recoil is THAT bad would it be?
    i mean if i can shoot little polymer or aluminum framed .45s, would a big steel framed 50 be that much more?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    a .45 barrel swap too. hmm, this is tempting.
    do you think you can get a .22 conversion for it? im assuming not.
    if you could, i might consider it.
    i cant imagine the recoil is THAT bad would it be?
    i mean if i can shoot little polymer or aluminum framed .45s, would a big steel framed 50 be that much more?
    If its a 5 inch 1911 (which it is) pretty much any conversion kit out there should work for it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

yea thats what i thought at first . but with the larger rounds i wasnt sure if it would be wider at all or anything
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

IIRC it has a lot of proprietary parts. I don't think a .22LR conversion kit would work in it. Maybe call them up and ask?

Austin

What are the stats on that round? is this .50AE?
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

The Guncrafter 50 GI pistol and cartridge has been around for over 5 yrs. now.
    It's solid and the round is not like a normal 50 cal like folks might think in so far as power levels. It's more akin to a .45 Magnum leaving a half inch sized hole with ball ammo. Reportedly any standard 1911 with a .50 GI specific conversion barrel can support this round. I've not heard of anyone actually doing this though.
    The Guncrafter 50 GI 1911 is a true 1911 in design and function and one could install a Ciener or Marvel or Kimber .22 upper to it no problem. The lower is regular 1911. The slide has been beefed up and of course the 50 GI slide is chamber specific is all. The cartridge fits in regular .45 ACP magazines. The whole unit is produced and offered as a package from Guncrafters for alot of money (!).

I've been tracking this thing since it's debut and would love to have one as a home defense autoloader.
    But considering it's cost to acquire and train with at best it's a novelty unless I hit the lottery or Bush decides to 'rebate' (since when is a refund a "rebate"?) me all of my 2K decade tax money paid. Neither I expect to occur anytime soon though. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    The info at the website Guncrafters and the review articles from the various magazines answer most questions.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Looks like the 300 grain round has 350ft. lbs of energy and they 275 has 467ft. lbs.

Definitely falsifies their claim of it being more powerful than 10mm rounds, and it gives no advantage over 9mm, .40, or .45 other than bullet diameter.

Nice in a way I guess, but I would rather have an easier to handle/smaller handgun, with 2x's the rounds to boot. Seems like its similar to a .50AE Desert Eagle (only the .50AE is actually powerful as hell), only in 1911 form; Great for bragging rights and to mount on the wall, but expensive to shoot.

Just my opinion!
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Garn it can break 500 ft. lbs...

Data From
    The Fightin' .50 GI
    By John Taffin (GUNS Magazine Sept, 2005)

Source - GUNS Magazine Features

I doubt I'd carry something like this on the street and there is better for use against four legged wild animals (such as 10MM), but for home defense being 24% heavier than 230 gr. .45 ACP it's got power enough behind it to make wince if not stop even drugged up two legged animals.
    Counterpoint though one can get same and better performance more affordably and much more widely available ammo via 9x23MM which myself I plan to adopt as a drop in conversion within my 9x19MM 1911. Again for purposes of HD in specific.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 22nd, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm sure it has its place and the more options the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I've been tracking this thing since it's debut and would love to have one as a home defense autoloader.
    That has been my thinking, except probably bordering on the absurd make it my dress up gun. Night Stand jewelry, engraved chromed with custom grips. Practicing is a steep definitely but not prohibitive. Would have the .45 conversion and hope performance / handling between the two is not greatly different. That would help. What have you read about its workmanship, reliability and performance? I have never heard of Guncrafters so I don't know anything about their reputation. I'd be more comfortable if it was a Les Baer, STI or a Wilson Combat. Here are some additional stats in case you have not seen these

KE = Kinetic energy: Bullet weight in pounds (obtained by dividing the bullet weight in grains by 7,000) times the velocity (in feet per second) squared and divided by 2G 9 (64.32).

PF = IPSC Power Factor: Bullet weight in grains times velocity divided by 1,000. Used to determine Major and Minor calibers in IPSC competition. The threshold for Major Caliber is a score of 165.

RSP = General Hatcher's Relative Stopping Power Scale: Bullet weight in pounds times velocity times bullet frontal area divided by 2G and multiplied by 1,000. There are also bullet shape factors which I have omitted from these calculations.

Ko = Taylor knockout Values: Bullet weight in pounds times velocity times caliber (in inches).
    Sorry for the redundant info the Taylor rating on the top chart is the same thing as the KO on the bottom
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links