A really bad negligent discharge at courthouse - Page 2

A really bad negligent discharge at courthouse

This is a discussion on A really bad negligent discharge at courthouse within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not to slam them, but I'll bet any money it was a GLOCK. Light trigger pull and no manual safety. Not to say it would ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: A really bad negligent discharge at courthouse

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Roadrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    737
    Not to slam them, but I'll bet any money it was a GLOCK. Light trigger pull and no manual safety. Not to say it would be OK to do this with a 1911 or other weapon with a manual safety, it just would have been less likely to result in a ND.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V


  2. #17
    Member Array target1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft Worth TX
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Yeah, 'cause if he didn't have 'one in the pipe', he wouldn't have needed to stop in the rest room!

    Oh...wait...you mean in the gun...

    Thats funny right there, I dont care who ya are


    Dbl and/or safe action is not a substitute for a manual and grip safety.
    David

    Ride hard and Shoot safe

    The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

  3. #18
    kpw
    kpw is offline
    VIP Member Array kpw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Not to slam them, but I'll bet any money it was a GLOCK. Light trigger pull and no manual safety. Not to say it would be OK to do this with a 1911 or other weapon with a manual safety, it just would have been less likely to result in a ND.
    I've read reports about an officer doing that with his Berreta and another doing it with a 1911. The stupid will always find a way.

  4. #19
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,484
    Another happening to add to the "you-only-thought-you-had-heard/seen-everything" file....


  5. #20
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    15,121
    That actually isnt as uncommon as one would think.

    I have been hearing of local snafus like this for years.

    I'd be willing to bet that just about every armed agency has had at least one much like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  6. #21
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    had it been a cocked and locked 1911 it never would have fired. Still it would have been stupid.
    Or XD with grip safety,...BUT no excuses or firearms to make up for stupidity.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  7. #22
    kpw
    kpw is offline
    VIP Member Array kpw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Or XD with grip safety,...BUT no excuses or firearms to make up for stupidity.
    Nope, it seems the common way to retrieve said pistol that is hanging on the hook, is to grab it by the grip and push/lift up. Remember, the stupid will always find a way. Ron White has it right...

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Good point,kpw,...Stupidity will always 'prevail' in a situation like that,lol. One thing I don't like about XDs/1911s is that newer owners seem to get into "bad" habits as they are lazier by the 'comforting' extra safeties...


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  9. #24
    VIP Member
    Array ccman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    2,051
    Stupid is as stupid does.

  10. #25
    Ex Member Array DOGOFWAR01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WYOMING
    Posts
    562

    Knuckledrager

    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Based on the Deputy's age, I'll bet that his firearms training was lacking at best. Do you think that he has ever received training on what to do with his weapon while sitting on the throne. As silly as it sounds, it you don't think the problem through in training, you are far less likely to find an acceptable answer to the problem in the real world. Yes, leaving all of the gear in the duty rig is the answer if that is what you wear. What about the trouser belt mounted holster? What about UC or others that have to carry in non-permissive environs? As silly as it may sound, we address the question in training for all modes of carry. No we don't move training to the thunderboxes, but we do address it in the lecture portion of the class.

    IMHO - Without all the facts, pointing a finger at the Deputy's age is fairly narrowed minded.

    It is nearly like me saying, the only folks that should carry guns live the in Rocky Mountain States.

    It is nearly like me saying, No Peace Officers of any level (Federal, State, County, or City) should be allowed to carry guns. Only allowed to carry whistles like bobbies in the UK. The whistle blowing would bring the armed response to the land of action - an USA Citizen CCW.

    Some Peace Officers train all they can, even at their own expense and own time. Some Peace Officers will only show upfor their required qualification, after being reminded more than 3 times.

    Most CCW USA Citizens, I know carry, practice, and attend formal training more than most Peace Officers I know.

    Job Titles, Patches, Badges, Uniforms, etc does not replace real world training and experience.

    Based on what information provided, I would not use age as a cause, I would use poor habits (Deputy probably has done this numerous times - workplace incident), on-the-job safety, firearms training (his Dept's responsibility as his employer - County Sheriff). Should he or any other Deputy's in this Dept be allowed to carry guns ?

    If a non-Peace Officer USA Citizen had this happen, would he or she have been charged or what ?

  11. #26
    Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    IMHO - Without all the facts, pointing a finger at the Deputy's age is fairly narrowed minded.

    It is nearly like me saying, the only folks that should carry guns live the in Rocky Mountain States.

    It is nearly like me saying, No Peace Officers of any level (Federal, State, County, or City) should be allowed to carry guns. Only allowed to carry whistles like bobbies in the UK. The whistle blowing would bring the armed response to the land of action - an USA Citizen CCW.

    Some Peace Officers train all they can, even at their own expense and own time. Some Peace Officers will only show upfor their required qualification, after being reminded more than 3 times.

    Most CCW USA Citizens, I know carry, practice, and attend formal training more than most Peace Officers I know.

    Job Titles, Patches, Badges, Uniforms, etc does not replace real world training and experience.

    Based on what information provided, I would not use age as a cause, I would use poor habits (Deputy probably has done this numerous times - workplace incident), on-the-job safety, firearms training (his Dept's responsibility as his employer - County Sheriff). Should he or any other Deputy's in this Dept be allowed to carry guns ?

    If a non-Peace Officer USA Citizen had this happen, would he or she have been charged or what ?
    Dog,

    Please don't misunderstand the point of my post. I was not suggesting that the age of the gun toter was a direct causative factor. I was pointing out that if he had been on the job for 35 years as the article stated, he received his basic firearms training a while ago. Firearms training, as a whole, was not as comprehensive then as it is (should be) today. I was speaking (writing) to the concept that if a student isn't exposed to things in training, they are less likely to act a certain way in the real world. How to secure your weapon while on the throne is something that needs to be addressed during the lecture part of firearms training and that it needs to be specific to type of issued equipment and nature of the job.

    KD
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

  12. #27
    Member
    Array GBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    468
    How many years did he have to get it right?
    And I agree, it probably was a Glock.

  13. #28
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,859
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    Thats funny right there, I dont care who ya are


    Dbl and/or safe action is not a substitute for a manual and grip safety.
    Double action, safe action, manual safety and grip safety together are no substitute for what this guy was lacking - an iota of common sense.

    Hanging a loaded firearm by the trigger guard is plain idiotic, no matter what design it is.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  14. #29
    Ex Member Array DOGOFWAR01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WYOMING
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Dog,

    Please don't misunderstand the point of my post. I was not suggesting that the age of the gun toter was a direct causative factor. I was pointing out that if he had been on the job for 35 years as the article stated, he received his basic firearms training a while ago. Firearms training, as a whole, was not as comprehensive then as it is (should be) today. I was speaking (writing) to the concept that if a student isn't exposed to things in training, they are less likely to act a certain way in the real world. How to secure your weapon while on the throne is something that needs to be addressed during the lecture part of firearms training and that it needs to be specific to type of issued equipment and nature of the job.
    KD

    The Deputy probably started out with a double action revolver - long pull taking 10-12 # to fire. This AD was probably with a semi-auto, if I "guess" I would guess a Glock with 5.5 # trigger pull (guess due to the AD and widespread use of Glock with Peace Officer Depts).

    This action is a direct reflection on the quality and quantity of firearms training (initial and refresher), qualification, and certification by the Peace Officer Dept. Again if I "guess", I concur these types of situations were not lectured on by the instructor, discussed by the class, demonstrated by the instructor, and practiced by the students in the class. Blue / Red Guns, Unloaded Guns, Loaded Guns then Live Fire into Target from sitting in a chair on the range - Just like one was on the throne - pants down.

    This training as with all training should be accomplished in whatever "duty" outfit and rig is normally worn and again accomplished in whatever "off-duty" outfit and rig is normally worn.

    All is just another topic for "Peace Officer Safety". P.S. All this really applies to "anyone carrying a handgun" - for whatever reason - regardless of their job.

    Just plain lucky no one was hurt or killed.

  15. #30
    Member Array Arisin Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Can we say STUPID??!!

    Stupid is becoming more common.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Accidental or Negligent Discharge
    By Bkrazy in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
  2. Negligent discharge may not be as appropriate as you think!
    By Tangle in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: August 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
  3. Bad Press: Negligent Discharge
    By FLSquirrelHunter in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: March 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
  4. Negligent Discharge in Courthouse - Deputy U.S. Marshal (Merged)
    By rodc13 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
  5. Negligent Discharge Story
    By LongRider in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Search tags for this page

deputy us marshal negligent discharge
,
how common are negligent discharges
,
naa negligent discharge
,
negligent discharge how common
,
negligent discharge of firearm virginia
,
negligent discharge story
,
negligent gun discharge in courthouse
,

police negligent discharge

,
what constitutes negligent discharge of firearm in virginia
Click on a term to search for related topics.