Help me with choice of revolver

This is a discussion on Help me with choice of revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at purchasing a revolverand have found a couple for a little more than 200 for an EAA Windicator basic blued .38! Has ...

Thread: Help me with choice of revolver

Help me with choice of revolver

I am looking at purchasing a revolverand have found a couple for a little more than 200 for an EAA Windicator basic blued .38! Has anyone ever shot this brand of revolver? I was also considering the Model 85 from Taurus. Again any input is appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

The Taurus is well worth the money. My wife has the 85, and I have the 605. I carry the 605 often, and it is amazingly accurate for it's size. My wife can make the 85 sing!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Administrator
    I'm no fan of Taurus, but I'd much rather have the 85 out of those choices.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I too am not a huge Taurus fan - but that said my M66 has done OK and the wife shoots it better than anything!

The M85 ... well IMO a great lil gun - and I relish the time I used mine for carry - over a year at least, sweat and all. My very first carry piece.

The sweat and holster wear took their toll but I still have that puppy and am really quite fond of it Often post this pic - poor sucker is well worn but hey - that's ''character'' yeah!

(SIXTO - I have removed you from the realms of "reputational vacuum" ... and thx for contribution ... my invoice will be sent to you soon - you can pay me in ammo!! )

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to have a taurus 650 CIA in stainless 5 shot .357

Now I carry a Rossi 461 .357 (k frame sized) 2" 6 shot (it also has a transfer bar system and a taurus gun lock in it) dependable, fun to shoot too

I have a Taurus 85 in the multi-alloy. Its lighter than the scandium and cheaper.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Moderator
    I have a 605 and love it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I love my 5 shot Taurus in .357, it's my primary carry gun. It's a little heavier than the 85 but it is the same size. Easy to conceal, idiot proof to shoot, and priced right. What's not to like???

Oh yeah, just remember most 85 series pistols are not rated for plus p loads so remember to ask about that before you buy!! If it doesn't say + P on the barrel it won't handle them. Don't forget to read the manual!!
    Last edited by atctimmy; January 22nd, 2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: OOOps forgot something.

The Taurus will suit your needs, but if you could save another $100 you should be able to find a used Model 60 S&W or similar S&W revo and you would have a really nice gun.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The war dept(wife) carries a S&W 638. Butt ugly in my opinion, but very practical. She has the bead blasted stainless version with titanium cylinder and barrel. It is rated for +p and loaded with Speer +p Gold Dots. It jumps like a grasshopper when shot, but she likes it and shoots it well enough to make most BGs wish to hell they had picked out a different victim.

Could you surf the 'net for a deal on a police trade-in S&W Model 10 for about the same price? They can't be beat.

VIP Member
    Forget all of the used S&W talk. They have been bought and sold so many times in the last 20 years you don't know what kind of quality you'll get (although the new owners seem to be making nice stuff again). Just get the Taurus of your choice. I have two, one of them for about 15 years, and have never had any problems. Use the money you save over buying a Smith to get some ammo and practice!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Forget all of the used S&W talk. They have been bought and sold so many times in the last 20 years you don't know what kind of quality you'll get (although the new owners seem to be making nice stuff again). Just get the Taurus of your choice. I have two, one of them for about 15 years, and have never had any problems. Use the money you save over buying a Smith to get some ammo and practice!

I resemble that remark. I shoot a well used (and occasionally abused) S&W Model 10 and would much prefer any run-of-the-mill used Model 10 from any of the pre-lock incarnations of S&W over the Taurus revolver for my own use. It's still a valid recommendation that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Links