Taurus PT-145 issues - Help!

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-145 issues - Help! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Taurus PT-145 and it shoots very well. It is accurate, feeds, and ejects well. But I have a couple of problems: 1. ...

Thread: Taurus PT-145 issues - Help!

Taurus PT-145 issues - Help!

I have a Taurus PT-145 and it shoots very well. It is accurate, feeds, and ejects well. But I have a couple of problems:

1. The Taurus Security System will not engage. This issue is no big deal, as I never use it. But I would still like it to work.

2. The firing pin leaves a “tear drop” shape in the primers. I don’t know what is up with this. Is this normal for this weapon?

Any feedback about these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I don't have this gun but will pick up on your #2 question.

It is quite common from many semi's - IIRC Glocks can do it .. and I think it occurs when, with case set back on firing, the contact remains on the pin long enough that the beginnings of pre ejection lateral shift begin as extractor ''bites'' - and so there is enough remaining pin protrusion to ''skid'' a bit away from main indent.

No clue tho on the ''security system" !!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I don't have this gun but will pick up on your #2 question.

It is quite common from many semi's - IIRC Glocks can do it .. and I think it occurs when, with case set back on firing, the contact remains on the pin long enough that the beginnings of pre ejection lateral shift begin as extractor ''bites'' - and so there is enough remaining pin protrusion to ''skid'' a bit away from main indent.

No clue tho on the ''security system" !!
    Thank You.
    Is this bad? Should I have a gunsmith look at it, or am I okay?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry - meant to say ... well IMO not bad at all - just ''one of those things'' .. and by all accounts not at all uncommon.

Not needy of attention IMO at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    My Taurus does the same thing with the primer. Wouldn't worry about that. If there is no reason to deal with the lock system, keep it unlocked. If you have a need to lock it, get a trigger lock for it. About 6 bucks. That is one more thing that can fail at the wrong time. They only put it there because of stupid politicians.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I am not trying to be smart, but did you pull the trigger for issue 1.

My PT 111 security system will not engage unless you pull the trigger and release the fireing pin from the single action mode.

Take out magazine, remove round from chamber, make sure gun is clear, safety off, then pull the trigger, then engage the safety system.

I had to go find my key for this, as I have never used the system after the day I purchased it.

If your doing it this way and it won't work, I don't know what to tell you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am not trying to be smart, but did you pull the trigger for issue 1.

My PT 111 security system will not engage unless you pull the trigger and release the fireing pin from the single action mode.

Take out magazine, remove round from chamber, make sure gun is clear, safety off, then pull the trigger, then engage the safety system.

I had to go find my key for this, as I have never used the system after the day I purchased it.

If your doing it this way and it won't work, I don't know what to tell you.
    Yes, I am doing it this way. It worked when I first bought the gun. It stopped working a few months ago; I first noticed it during a daily function check.
    Join the NRA!

I didn't think anyone actually used those locks.

Maybe I should check my lock, never used it. Now where did I put that key??
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    I didn't think anyone actually used those locks.

I have never actually used it, aside from testing it on occasion during daily function checks. I just want it to work. It irks me that it won’t engage. Besides, I have an awful habit of buy and trading handguns. If and when I trade or sell it I want it to work for maximum resell value.
    Join the NRA!

Taurus has a lifetime warranty on their handguns. Call them, send it in, and they will repair it.

Well, this gun as finally given up the ghost. As I indicated in the beginning of the post this weapon operated very well. The last few time I had it had the range everything went to pot. IT started jamming like crazy. Yesterday it jammed so bad that the slide is now permanently jammed open. I am sending it to Taurus to have it fixed. After that I am done. I am selling it and will most likely not buy another Taurus. In fact I am done with cheap gun altogether. No more Kel-tec, no more Taurus. I will never again spend good money on a mediocre weapon.
    Join the NRA!

Lead Moderator
    Can't say I blame you. I owned a PT140 for a while . It actually cracked up / blew apart while shooting it. I did get Taurus to fix it fro free, but sold it right after getting it back.
    the safety on mine would not disengage , even in the off position occasionally. I never tried the key lock .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links