Anyone built a Fusion kit?

Anyone built a Fusion kit?

This is a discussion on Anyone built a Fusion kit? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I searched before posting and didn't find a very good answer, so here goes... Exactly how much "fitting" is involved in building a Fusion kit? ...

Thread: Anyone built a Fusion kit?

Question Anyone built a Fusion kit?

I searched before posting and didn't find a very good answer, so here goes...

Exactly how much "fitting" is involved in building a Fusion kit? Specifically, one of these kits: Fusion Firearms

I've never built a gun before. I've detail stripped plenty and done some light repair work.
    I have a fair few machine-shop tools and I'm reasonably experienced in metalworking and mechanics, but I've never done *that* much work on a gun before.

Do you think it's feasible for someone with good mechanical skills but no real gunsmithing experience to build one of these kits?

Do you think the odds of ending up with a reliable pistol are good?

Just throwing out ideas, thanks for the input.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Seems like a lot of money to me for gun parts in the raw. I myself would rather spend the extra money and buy it already done, that way when it doesn't go bang I have somebody to blame. BTW, it doesn't sound like machining skills are needed, all that work is done, but understanding the workings of a 1911 would be a great help. By the time you buy the parts that aren't included and have the thing finished, plus sights, you will quickly exceed the cost of a new gun. Besides what is resale going to be? Surely a gun with "Pete" on the slide of the slide isn't going to bring near the price as one with Kimber or Wilson on the slide.
    Just my .02
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    I think you will end up spending twice what they are advertised at, when you could have just bought a good gun to begin with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You only get the basic parts, all other parts such as trigger, sear, hammer, springs etc. need to be bought and fitted seperatly. You also need to purchase tools such as screwdrivers, stones and files. I think you would be better off buying a basic Springfield GI and replacing all the parts. You would still need the tools but get the experience of fitting and other basic gunsmithing jobs.

Administrator
    The Fusion parts are extremely high quality and are held to tight tolerances.
    I've ordered their parts before.
    My whole top end on one of my best .45s is a Fusion but, I installed it on an older Colt frame.

I like the Fusion frames though.

That's a very nice package and a darn good price for a forged (rather than cast) frame and slide.

The barrels are super high quality.
    The important stuff...The slide is fit to the frame - the barrel is pre-fit to the slide and the bushing is pre-fit to the barrel and the slide.
    That will give you a fantastic firearm when you're all done.

The big advantage is that you would be getting the equivalent of a high dollar "custom build" for the price of a Plain Jane mediocre fit 1911.

Remember though that those parts are "in the white" so there will be an added cost for putting some sort of final finish on the parts.

But, you can easily Parkerize the frame and slide right at home if you're able to boil water.
    You can Parkerize for about $20.00 or just go with DuraCoat. You can do that at home also.

Can you do it?
    Sure you can.
    There is a real added satisfaction to be had in building your own tackdriving firearm.

If you are the sort of person that knows what I'm talking about then absolutely you should go for it.
    It's actually worth doing just for personal gratification of a "job well done."

YES, and of course...you can buy a basic, stock, factory assembled 1911 for about the same price but, you'll have much more gun with a lot more custom features when you're all done and if you do it yourself.
    Just my opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Check over at 1911auto there is a Guy Working on a Kit Right now and is doing a bang up job with the pics and what he is running into

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think you will end up spending twice what they are advertised at, when you could have just bought a good gun to begin with.
    That's what I'm afraid of. I suppose I should actually figure out a final parts total before seriously considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That's a very nice package and a darn good price for a forged (rather than cast) frame and slide.
    The barrels are super high quality.
    The important stuff...The slide is fit to the frame - the barrel is pre-fit to the slide and the bushing is pre-fit to the barrel and the slide.
    That will give you a fantastic firearm when you're all done. The big advantage is that you would be getting the equivalent of a high dollar "custom build" for the price of a Plain Jane mediocre fit 1911.
    That's part of what I like so much about the Fusion kit. I've heard rave reviews of their parts everywhere, and have seen a few very nice finished Fusions. I just wasn't sure if I could undertake it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Can you do it?
    Sure you can.
    There is a real added satisfaction to be had in building your own tackdriving firearm.
    If you are the sort of person that knows what I'm talking about then absolutely you should go for it.
    It's actually worth doing just for personal gratification of a "job well done."
    I definitely know what you mean there. I build a lot of custom computers, and have done a lot of modification/performance work on my car, and I like to pride myself on doing the best job I can. I do like the aspect of "build your own", but I see what NCHornet is getting at about "someone to blame when it doesn't go bang".

Dang, my search for a CCW is getting harder and harder.
    First I was looking at a Ruger SP101, and decided I wanted more than 5 rounds, and could comfortably carry something more substantial.
    Then I fell in love with a Kimber 1911 I shot at the local range, and steered my search towards an Officers or Commander size 1911.
    So many options... so few really nice ones under about $700.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll see if I can figure out a total price to build that Fusion Commander kit, and compare that to a similarly finished factory gun, maybe a Springfield Loaded.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Sponsored Links