Can someone explain "pre-ban mags" to me

This is a discussion on Can someone explain "pre-ban mags" to me within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the deal with pre-ban mags. Some guns come with the full 12 round mags, and others have reduced 10 rounders. Has the allowable ...

Thread: Can someone explain "pre-ban mags" to me

Can someone explain "pre-ban mags" to me

What is the deal with pre-ban mags. Some guns come with the full 12 round mags, and others have reduced 10 rounders. Has the allowable carry limit been reduced(is it to 10 in a mag?), and in what states is this limit reduced.

I live in Indiana, how many rounds am I allowed to carry?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    pre-ban mags is usually a reference to hi-capacity magazines that were manufactured before the Assault Weapons Ban (and all the other garbage) was in place, this of course was federal law and some states also had/have regs on mag capacity, others don't, I don't know what your state has but its definitely something to check
    of course the AWB/mag limitations from the federal level has expired so unless your state has limits you can purchase/possess hi-cap mags
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

In Indiana you have no artificial limits set on magazine capacity.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'm really not sure what PRE-Ban means anymore.

from 1994-2004 it was mags that held more then 10 that where manufactured before 1994.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

"Pre-ban" mags should actually be referred to as "full capacity" mags. During the ban most guns were limited to 9 rounds (may be incorrect). Many full capacity pistol mags carry up to 17 rounds and more depending on the firearm.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakdaddy View Post
    In Indiana you have no artificial limits set on magazine capacity.
    Almost but quite correct. The stupid and idiotic city council in South Bend, IN passed legislation banning magazines over 15 rounds within the city. I stumbled across this when trying to buy some magazines on the internet and they wouldn't ship to my zip code. I called to ask about it and they said there is an ordinance in SB. I pointed out that I live outside the city limits, they checked and shipped them.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Pre-ban mags, with all intents and purposes here, do not exist any more simply because there is no current federal ban on owning these. I'll take my Glock magazines for example. Magazines generally do not have serial numbers. The assault weapons ban of 1994 dictated that no current production detachable magazine could hold or be modified to hold more than ten rounds. Magazines already on the market however could still be sold until the supply ran out. All magazines produced after Sept. 13, 1994 sold to civilians were required to be of ten round capacity or less. The rifle magazine markets didn't suffer much for the ten year ban, as surplus availability is seemingly endless in this category. Pistol magazines with the original hi-cap configuration were now sold/available to law enforcement and military only, and not the general public. Most magazines sold under these circumstances were specifically marked as LEO only or such. Many individuals or companies that owned stockpiles of the "pre-ban" mags-capitolized on the dwindling availability and drove prices per piece through the roof. This was not just typical of handgun magazines, but many rifles and carbines such as the AR-15, and AK-47 which had attachments available that deemed them qualified under the AWB, such as bayonet attachment points, and flash hiders, or collapsible stock configurations. The lower receivers of such weapons have a serial number which would dictate by specific manufacturer whether or not the firearm was produced before or after the AWB. All "pre-ban" items were still allowed to be legally possessed and sold as long as the buyer was willing to now pay exorbitant prices for those items. The AWB of 1994 expired ten years to the day after it was enacted, and after Sept 13, 2004, production and sales of hi-capacity magazines, or 'assault weapons' configurations could be made available to the general public. There is no current federal ban on these items so there are no "pre-ban" items. Different states laws however may now dictate what you can own/purchase, being a resident of that state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I'm really not sure what PRE-Ban means anymore.

from 1994-2004 it was mags that held more then 10 that where manufactured before 1994.
    Calling mags , Preban , pretty much means that they are old mags . Thats about the only use for that term anymore .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

In the Commie-wealth of Massachusetts
    the then Governor Mitt Romney signed into law an "extension" of the law with no "sunset"
    So Pre-ban is still Banned for sale in Massachusetts
    and the limit is 10-rounds magazine

Let's see:

Pre:
    Prefix denoting ‘before’ in space or time. (See ANTE-, POST-, INTER-, TRANS-) (MP)
    UNESCO/IUBS/EUBIOS Bioethics Dictionary

Ban:
    A ban is, generally, any decree that prohibits something. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ban (law)
    -In this case the ban you are referring to is the assault weapons ban
    The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law of the United States that included a prohibition on the sale to civilians of certain semi-automatic "assault weapons" manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment. The ten-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994 and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban expired on September 13, 2004, as part of the law's sunset provision.
    Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I couldn't resist a smart a** remark!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    In the Commie-wealth of Massachusetts
    the then Governor Mitt Romney signed into law an "extension" of the law with no "sunset"
    So Pre-ban is still Banned for sale in Massachusetts
    and the limit is 10-rounds magazine
    Not quite - pre ban hicaps are the only legal hicaps for pistols in MA. People with an LTCA can carry guns like the Beretta 92 and Glock 17 with hicaps made before the ban was instituted in 1994. Any hicaps marked law enforcement only or made after the ban sunset in 2004 (including those for guns ONLY made after or during the ban, like the Springfield XD) are still verboten in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Any hicaps marked law enforcement only or made after the ban sunset in 2004 (including those for guns ONLY made after or during the ban, like the Springfield XD) are still verboten in MA.
    There are mags that were made before the Ban that will fit in the XD.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links