New Shooter

This is a discussion on New Shooter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This post contains a couple of questions, so please bear with me. I'm taking my girlfriend shooting for the first time this Friday. (I love ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shooter

New Shooter

This post contains a couple of questions, so please bear with me. I'm taking my girlfriend shooting for the first time this Friday. (I love Ladies Night at Shooter's World.) I've gone over the four rules with her and I'm fairly confident that she knows and understands them (but I'm still going to go over them on the ride there, and before she picks up a weapon). I was planning on starting with a .22LR. Let her shoot a revolver first, then a Walther P22 so she's familiar with both revolvers and semi's. After that I was thinking about moving up to a 9mm. Either the M9 or the BHP. Then once she's gotten used to that, if she's comfortable I'll let her try my 1911. Anything I'm forgetting or should be doing differently?

Now comes the bad news, her anti sister. Seems she freaked out when she was told that 1- I carry; and 2- I'm taking her darling little sister to go shoot the evil guns. Any recommendations on how to deal with her, or any anti really?

A1C Lickey

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Each time I take one of my kids to the range, I make them take a minute and review all of the range rules that are normally printed and posted on the wall of each shooting station. It's just a bit of reminder before they begin in addition to the normal review of the rules.

Tell the sister to mind her own business. Then I would suggest ducking.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Take the sister to the range. I am guessing she's never been to one and she might be surprised to see that people there are not inbred rednecks that shoot while chugging coors light. When the time is right, invite her to shoot some. If she refuses, tell her she can't comment about something she hasn't done. That might do the trick.
    If she still remains anti, you can always send her downrange and tell her to hold the target
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Best way to handle the anti....let little sis tell her about the GREAT time she had at the range, and how FUN shooting targets actually was! Then, after the proper time has gone by, invite the anti to shoot. Well, maybe not...you know the situation better than I
    Hope you do have a good time with the GF...make it a good time without too much pressure...don't harp on the rules, and do teach by example.
    Good luck!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Everyone has pretty moch hit it.. Choice of pistols to shoot seems fine give her lots of time with the 22 dont rush her from it to the 9mm

I wouldn't recommend letting your GF rush home with her B-27 with ragged holes in the head, chest and crotch, proclaiming, "Sis, look what I did!".........at least not 'til after three or so outings .....

(My daughter had a B-27 with similar afflictions on her bedroom door with "Mr. Wrong" written over him. Seemed to cool the ardour of some young gents. )

Assistant Administrator
    Good luck with that A1C - indeed, GF could well be the best ambassador - able to tell ''sis'' just how much fun it is as well as safe. Maybe mentioning too that the ''dreaded guns'' happen not to jump up on their own and shoot folks indiscriminately!!

We will of course - be requiring a mandatory range report!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Seems like you pretty much have everything covered and you're going to have a fun, safe range trip.

Let your girlfriend deal with her sister. "It was so fun and not scary like you think" is much easier for another female (especially a sister) to do, rather than the intruding, scary gun guy.

If Anti Sister confronts you directly, you just tell her that while you appreciate and respect her concern for her younger sister's safety, you have trained her to safely handle a firearm, and and it was her sister's decision to go shooting. Big sister has to learn that little sister can be quite capable of making her own decisions without a protective wing permanently over her.

If she's a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth Anti who keeps turning a blind eye to reason, you'll just have to ignore her, because you're just wasting your breath. And that's when big sister needs to learn that being combative with you over the issue might cause a great divide with her sister.

Good luck!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My daughters' first outing included a S&W .22 revolver, a Walther P22, a Glock 19, and a Beretta CX4 carbine. They had a great time, and their only comment about the 9mm was that it was heavier than the .22. Have a great time at the range.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Do not wear your gal out--at the FIRST sign she is tiring, STOP. You want to leave with your gal asking for more.

As for sis, next time as sis to come along.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Lead Moderator
    stay away from the bigger calibers till she asks to shoot em. Recoil can scare women off. Just let her have fun with .22's. Keep it easy and fun. Bigger targets for beginners helps to let em gain confidence.

VIP Member
    A1C Lickey, how did the shoot go? We need a range report, man!

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Alright I'll tell, but only because you asked nicely TA.

She got to the base and we drew my 1911 from the armory. Then we went into the cleaning room and I gave her a refresher on the four rules, and then explained the basics of how most semi-autos work. Quick demonstration with Snap Caps and we were off to the range.

Got to Shooter's World at a little before seven. Explained what I was doing as I cleared my weapon. Ran into one of my buddies and bs'd with him for a couple of minutes. Got her signed in, had her read the range rules while I got a .22LR Ruger for us to start with. I put a B-27 target up at 10 yards and let her watch while I loaded a magazine, and I explained how the weapon functioned again. I then proceeded to fire that magazine as a demonstration. Brought the target in, let her take a good look, and then set it out at 5 yards for her. Let her load a magazine and start firing.

She basically stuck to the .22LR. In between her strings I was running a target out and playing with my 1911. After she had finished and I was cleaning up she asked if she could try my gun. I was a little skeptical, but said sure. She did get one shot off, but I think the recoil was a little TOO much for her.

Good news is she loved it. She can't wait until we go back next Friday (I love Ladies Night), she wants to shoot something bigger (well, bigger then the .22LR but smaller then my 1911), and she said somethig about maybe coming with us sometimes when me and some of my buddies go. She brought her target home and has it hanging in the closet. She even convinced her roommate (a ditzy anti) to come with us next week. I'm a little wary about this, in my opinion there are some people in this world who shouldn't be left unsupervised around anything sharper then a crayon, and I'm begining to think she may be in this category. But I think that if supervised, things should be okay.

Somethings I noticed: 1- Ladies Night helped. When she saw that it wasn't just guys there I think she became a lot more comfortable. 2- The .22LR was a very good choice. Actually, I had forgotten how much fun it can be to go plinking with a .22, I just made the decision one of my new rifles will be a .22 3- Ranges are scary places for people who aren't used to them. All those loud unexpected noises can make new shooters jumpy.

All in all it was a good day, she had fun, and we have something we can do together.

A1C Lickey

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    She even convinced her roommate (a ditzy anti) to come with us next week. I'm a little wary about this, in my opinion there are some people in this world who shouldn't be left unsupervised around anything sharper then a crayon, and I'm begining to think she may be in this category.
    LOL! Too true
    Good report, A1C (or is it SrA now?) Lickey. Glad you both had a good time and she wants to try again. Slow and steady will make her a shootin' fanatic in no time.
    Let us know how the anti sister handles the news that sis had a good time at the evil gun range :diablotin

Lead Moderator
    Glad to hear she enjoyed it. Went out skeet shooting today with my girlfriend,kids and other friends. Had fun , but both my shotguns experienced failure. Still, my daughter of 8 got to shoot a .22 cricket rifle. She liked it, but doesn't want pink for the stock .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links