Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimber Tac Ultra II feed questions. Need some Advice

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
My wife bought me a used Kimber Tac Ultra II for Christmas. I love this lil 1911, but I am discovering at least one issue through 200 rounds so far. I saw the gun before she bought it for me, and gave it a good looking over at the shop, but did not buy it at that time. She showed a little wear, what I thought would be normal for a slightly used gun. The mag that came with it showed some slight wear on the metal bullet rest (not sure if thats the correct term, but its the pad that rests on the mag spring )

Ammo used so far is this: Blaser Brass 230 gr. Speer Gold dot 185 gr. GDHP. The gun came with one mag.

Ok, heres the issue. The first time I had it out, using the BB, in the mag that came with it, 1 out of say, 8 rounds would jam in the feed process using the mag that came with it. Pulling back on the slide and releasing would result in a proper feeding, and from that point on it did ok til the next jam. I bought a new Wilson Combat OXCB 47 Mag, and had 0 issues with it that day. When using the mag that came with it, I still had the occasional jam. So, I chalked it up to the mag that came with it as being a problem. At least, for the time being.

Second trip out to the range, which was yesterday, yielded a couple more jams. This time, I payed more attention to it. It resulted form the Wilson Combat mag this time. It was less frequent this time around, but it did happen. I did not notice the problem with the Speer ammo, However, I did begin to notice that, after firing, and when loading in a new full mag, and hitting the slide release. It didn't transition forward as smoothly as I thought it should. As if it where "catching" somewhere, yet not enough to snag into a full jam. Anyway, it just doesn't feel as smooth as I suspect it should be. I know its no comparison, but my Glock , Taurus, and XD all transition fresh rounds into the chamber very smoothly. The Kimber, sometimes not so much.

The rounds, when jammed, seem to catch about halfway through the transition from mag to chamber, as far as I can tell.

Today I stripped her down and checked out the ramp. It seems to have a couple very miner scratches in it, and the leading edge is somewhat sharpish. I'm not sure if thats normal. I dont have another 1911 to compare it too.

Question is this. Should I polish the ramp, or do anything to it, or should I just call Kimber up, and send it off to them for examination? Is there anything else I can check for?. I was planing on using this as my carry weapon. Good thing I have my G19 as a backup.

I have shot BB through all my other guns with 0 and I mean 0 issues, and since It seems to be not so smooth through two types of ammo, I am thinking its not so much the ammo?

Any advice and/or knowledge is most certainly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like extractor tension is off. What you describe is usually a magazine or extractor problem. I would not do any work to the feed ramp until you look at a couple of other areas. Look for burrs or rough spots on the breechface and the hook on the extractor. With the slide off you should be able to easily slide a round up under the extractor with out much force. It should hold the round against the breechface with maybe a little drooping but without falling out. Also look for a sharp edge or burr on the top edge of the chamber mouth. If all of this is over your skill level send it back to Kimber.

#3 ·
Ok, I layed eyes on the areas you pointed out, and heres what I found.

I found no obvious burrs on the breech face, nor any of the surfaces around it. The extractor likewise, no burrs. I slide a round up inside, and it did feel a little "catchy" or, scrapy, if I may use that word, but not really bad. I examined it a little close and found a little dirt. (I fully clean my guns after each firing, but I musted have missed some I guess) So, after a q-tip and some cleaner, I tried again. It felt better, but as you slide the round up, it still feels kinda catchy, and almost snaps into place. It does droop a little in the hold.

The top of the chamber opening is smooth. the leading edge however does have an edge to it. sharpish one way, up and in, smooth when moving your finger down and away from it.

Laslty, I cycled 4 rounds through it with both mags, I know, I should be using dummy rounds, ugh, anyway, The rounds seem to be catching before they slide up into the extractor adn breech face area. As best I can tell they hitch up on the ramp, with the side of the nose of the round resting at the middle of the ramp.

As I type this I just noticed that there are copper marks on the frame where would be just under the ramp. Is the round catching on the frame maybe?

#7 ·
I had wondered about that, and if maybe its a timing issue. As mentioned, I bought it used, and it really didnt look old enough to warrant new springs. When i say old enough, im refering to wear and tear. The rails, breech face, barrel top, all looked low on wear marks. Im thinking the previous owner traded it in because of the feeding issues.

Its off to Kimber today. Jimmy at Kimber said he would take care of it, in a thick Yonkers accent. :rofl:

#8 ·
With an Ultra Carry, the springs should be changed every 1,800 rounds or so. Get some new springs, put them in, and see how much harder it is to rack the slide. With older springs, it's a lot easier to rack, and the slide doesn't return as quickly and with as much force as it should to load the next round.

straightShot

#12 ·
Well, thats just it, im not sure its even had over 500 rounds through it before I bought it. I dont know for sure, but wear and tear indications dont tell me that, and for the price they sold it at, I tend to think not.

Also, the springs seemed fiarly stiff to meas stiff or stiffer then my XD45, which has had about 400 rounds though it so far.

My Tac Pro II was just like this when new. This gun might not have *enough* rounds through it yet! Mine came with whatever they poorly finish the slide in on the barrel and feed ramp and IMO what caused the rounds to catch on the feed ramp like you are talking. I am not sure I would send the gun back just yet.

I found this out in a training class a few months back when my Colt Combat Commander broke an ejector. I had just gotten the Tac Pro and it had zero rds through it but I had to use it to finish the class. Mine did exactly what you describe but with Wilson mags as I only use the stock kimber mag's to chalk a tire with or something.

Anyway, this happened several times and I basically forcedthe slide into battery several times. When we reloaded I notced that the "finish" that was applied to the barell was starting to wearing off but still allowing some rds to hang up on the face still. So I used millitec on the feed ramp everytime we reloaded and the problem was solved the rest of the day fireing a total of 500-600 rds after the Colt went down.

So, IMO keep shooting it! Use whatever lube you use on the feed ramp to aid in feeding and allow the rounds to smooth a path on the feed ramp. If I'm wrong then send it back but I think it is a waste of money in shipping when I am pretty sure that's what it is, at least from what I am reading. I would also toss the stock mag. I don't think this gun has very many rds down range at all I'd bet. Try what I did and see how it goes, after a few hundred more rds (that should be just fine with feeding with the lube) then stop using it and see how it goes.

Ti
Hmm, interesting. The gun is on it way to Kimber, but you bring up some good points. The jamming did occur less the second time out with it, so you could very well be right. I do know that the ramp had soem scuffs and minor scratches in it though, I wonder if they will polish or replace the barrel. Id say that if they do, its an indication that you were on the right track.

The difference in quality between the Wilson mag and the factory mag is night and day! I will use it for a door stop when she gets back, heh.

Oh, and sorry guys, it has an internal extractor. Ejection seems to be good, sometimes ill get beaned by a round, but thats because every now and then ill limp-wrist it. It happens with my Glock and XD too.

I will of course report back here with what happens to the gun.

#9 ·
The rounds, when jammed, seem to catch about halfway through the transition from mag to chamber, as far as I can tell.
My Tac Pro II was just like this when new. This gun might not have *enough* rounds through it yet! Mine came with whatever they poorly finish the slide in on the barrel and feed ramp and IMO what caused the rounds to catch on the feed ramp like you are talking. I am not sure I would send the gun back just yet.

I found this out in a training class a few months back when my Colt Combat Commander broke an ejector. I had just gotten the Tac Pro and it had zero rds through it but I had to use it to finish the class. Mine did exactly what you describe but with Wilson mags as I only use the stock kimber mag's to chalk a tire with or something.

Anyway, this happened several times and I basically forcedthe slide into battery several times. When we reloaded I notced that the "finish" that was applied to the barell was starting to wearing off but still allowing some rds to hang up on the face still. So I used millitec on the feed ramp everytime we reloaded and the problem was solved the rest of the day fireing a total of 500-600 rds after the Colt went down.

So, IMO keep shooting it! Use whatever lube you use on the feed ramp to aid in feeding and allow the rounds to smooth a path on the feed ramp. If I'm wrong then send it back but I think it is a waste of money in shipping when I am pretty sure that's what it is, at least from what I am reading. I would also toss the stock mag. I don't think this gun has very many rds down range at all I'd bet. Try what I did and see how it goes, after a few hundred more rds (that should be just fine with feeding with the lube) then stop using it and see how it goes.

Ti

#10 ·
I did not see in your post whether your Tactical Ultra II had an internal or external extractor.

If it is an external extractor, Kimber will replace the slide with the newer internal extractor model.

I had a Tactical Ultra II with the external extractor and had the same problems you described. After talking to Kimber, they said send it in.

It returned within 2 weeks with a new internal extractor slide, new barrel, and polished feed ramp...... all at no cost to me. It never had a problem after that. I give a great big thumbs up to Kimber's service department.

#11 ·
Nothing in his post leads me to believe that he has ejecting issues, just feeding issues. so regardless of if it's an internal or external extractor (I am sure it's internal) the Tac Ultra seem's to eject just fine.

Ti

#13 ·
I do know that the ramp had soem scuffs and minor scratches in it though
This is what's strange about this deal! No reason for the feed ramp to be like that unless the previous owner took a flat head screw driver to it or somethhing!?

No big deal that you sent it back already, Kimber will (or definitely should) polish the feed ramp to clean it up. Personally, I don't think there is much of an issue at all with this one and a standard break in should have worked it out. It is frustrating and I can't wait for break in's either.

I send mine to my smith right away if I am having issues. I didn't have a choice with the Tac Pro as I had to use it to get through the class and it's just fine and run's strong without issue now after some help.

In fact, this Kimber out of the box was an excellent firearm (even with the slight feeding issue at the beginning), has a great trigger, the best I've had out of the box Kimber and the gun out performed the older Custom Colt I was using by far. Kinda like the difference between the Kimber and Wilson mag's.

Good luck with it. FYI though, Kimber is well known for sending gun's back with nothing done to them citing they couldn't find an issue with it, etc, etc, thus the reason I go direct to my gun smith unless a part is broken (which I haven't had) then I'd just send the broken part in for a replacement if it's that easy of a fix.

Ti

#14 ·
I appreciate the info Ti (that goes for everyones input as well ) I hope they dont do that to me, or at least, polish the ramp and give me a feel good free mag or two.:rofl: ) I guess im not used to having a break in period at all really. I mean, none of my other three guns ever needed it per sey, though I kinda treated them that way (they however, are polymer guns ). My experience is, that anything made of metal that uses a lubricant needs even a small break in period. Even then, none of them exhibited these symptoms. Anyway, since I Bought it used, I dont like to leave things to chance, and I don't know of a good gunsmith in town whom I can trust. Jimmy of Kimber volunteered that it would be under warranty, so im cool with that. Well, as long as it doesnt take an eon to get it back that is.

I love the gun frankly, so I am all about taking good care of it. If its just the fact thats its not fully broken in, then im still happy, id rather it be that then, post break in, the thing cracks a frame or barrel.

#15 ·
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Jimmy of Kimber. They are going to replace the slide. He said that the extractor shelf was in bad shape and hence the feeding issues. They will replace it, and then polish the feed ramp and possible the barrel chamber, and make sure it all works good.

I gotta wait 3 weeks until its done though, argh! :blink:

Thats ok though, ill be happy as long as it works good and looks purdy with a new slide. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.