Which Glock for duty use?

This is a discussion on Which Glock for duty use? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been using a Sig 220 for duty and used it during the academy. I bought a Glock 26 for BUG carry and off ...

View Poll Results: Which Glock for duty use

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 17

32 58.18%
  • Glock 34

5 9.09%
  • Glock 21SF

18 32.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Glock for duty use?

Which Glock for duty use?

I have been using a Sig 220 for duty and used it during the academy. I bought a Glock 26 for BUG carry and off duty use. I haven't shot a Glock it 2 years and I qualified at night with my 26 the day I bought it. I actually shot better with the 26 than I did with the Sig 220.

I am really starting to love the striker type firing system and the I'm seriously thinking about switching to a Glock for duty use. I love the durability of the finish and how maintanence free it is. Now the question is which one.

1st is a Glock 17. Full size, takes same mags as my 26. It'll limit the calibers I need to stock at home. 3 mags with 2+ extensions gives me 58 rounds of 9mm plus the 12 that are in my 26 (extended mag). Very fast follow up shots that I can still place accurately.

2nd is a Glock 34. Longer sight radius. Higher velocity in the ammo. More accuracy potential over the 17. Same benifits as the 17. Except the 34 would be harder to conceal when carried off duty on accasion.

3rd is a Glock 21SF. Obvious benifit of the 45 caliber. Reduced mag capacity. 40 rounds if mags are left unextended. Extended will bring me up to 46 rounds. I have not handled a Glock 21SF, but I have handled the regular 21. The regular 21's grip is a bit long front to back for my comfort, but the width is fine. And that problem has been addressed by the SF.

The ammo used in 9mm is 147 grain Gold Dots. The 45acp ammo used is 230 grain Gold Dots. Also I really don't like the 40 caliber round which is the other approved caliber. So its limited to the 9 or 45.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Depends if you’re in uniform or plain clothing?

For plain clothing I love the G19. I’ve never worked in uniform, but if I did I would carry the G17. I purchased the G17 for home defense, and found it so easy to shoot; qualified with a 92 the first time I took it to the range.

Back in the 90’s I was issued 124 gr Hydra Shok, but I’ve recently switched to Winchesters new LE Ranger 127 gr +P+

Question: doesn’t your department issue you ammo?

If i had to use a Glock only it would be the G17 it just fits my hand better and it shoots very good for a Glock.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I vote for the 17... its a decent size, good for duty or concealed, lots of stuff for it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've got all 3 of those +the G19, G23, G26, G27, G35 with a lone wold 9mm drop in conversion barrel.

G21SF sits next to my night stand with a streamlight light on it.
    G26 and G27 are my pocket rockets when I can't wear a holster (desantis Nemisis Pocket holster)
    G35 used to be my IDPA gun until I got a steal on a G34 gen 3 two pin with the actual 3.5 pound trigger. If i ever shoot IPSC and I'll probably run the .40 barrel instead of the 9mm.
    G34 I shoot IDPA (PS there now shipping them with 4.5 pound triggers instead of the old 3.5 triggers) I love this gun. OAL is the same as a 1911 long site radius, and if you want go to Topgun supply and buy a old factory 3.5 connector.

G19 has CT grips on it. I strictly use it for trainer trigger control
    G23 is generally the gun you will find me with when I have a holster on.
    G17 Is probably my Overal all purpose gun. Its high capacity, and length makes it Ideal for Duty rigs, drop legs, even good for IWB. I would say if it was one of the 3 and its for duy go with the G17. Later on down the road procure a G19 for interchangeability and for deeper concealement.

PS Rumor is GLOCK is coming out with a G17 SF and a G19 SF. The G17 SF mags are already hitting the US market. So this may not just be a rumor, I have some G17 SF mags. If you can hold off and don't like the Grip you may want to wait. PSS if this SIG P250 thingy majerger takes off you can bet Glock is going to have to come with a answer to it to.

This is a Ambi mag cut G17 mag see the silver slot cut in the front, that is what engages (what looks more like a flipper inside the front of the front strap to allow for the right side mag release, this is exactly the same as the G21SF mags therefore GLOCK should be releasing at least an AMBI Mag Release G17. Word is they are going to do a grip reduction similiar to what they did with the G21.

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Interesting. But the 9mm/40 cal Glocks fit my had just fine. The 21 is the only Glock I've handled that felt a little to big. On two forums the 17 seems to be getting the all but a few votes.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Administrator
    If your using the 26 as a bug, I'd go with the 17.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    If you are having issues with the 21 being comfortable, then don't go for it.

Going with the 17 would be complimentary to your 26. I would not use the 34 for duty/carry use. Personally I would do a 22 and 27 combo, but that is because I like .40 better than 9mm and since glock offers both calibers in the same frame it is an easy transition.

If you're heart is set on a 21, also consider a 20 if your department approves 10mm. I feel more comfortable and shoot better with the 20 then the 21, and I have friends who do the opposite and complain about the recoil of the 10mm round.

By the way, I love the Kahr I bought from you. It has turned into a daily carry and has performed flawlessly.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    If you are having issues with the 21 being comfortable, then don't go for it.

Going with the 17 would be complimentary to your 26. I would not use the 34 for duty/carry use. Personally I would do a 22 and 27 combo, but that is because I like .40 better than 9mm and since glock offers both calibers in the same frame it is an easy transition.

If you're heart is set on a 21, also consider a 20 if your department approves 10mm. I feel more comfortable and shoot better with the 20 then the 21, and I have friends who do the opposite and complain about the recoil of the 10mm round.

By the way, I love the Kahr I bought from you. It has turned into a daily carry and has performed flawlessly.
    Just for Info:
    Lone Wolf Makes 40->9mm Conversations for pretty much all the .40 frame Glocks Lone Wolf Distributors - Products
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'll agree with the other who said that if you are going to continue to carry the 26 then get the 17. Only on calibre to worry about, the same manual of arms and if need be you can stick the 17 mags in the 26.

So far my favourite glock is the 34 but I don't know how well that would work for duty use. I'd also stay very far away from conversions for duty use.

You left out the best ones. Glock 19/23.

Agreed. Go with the G17!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The 17 would go best with your 26. Can't really go wrong with any of them but I would opt for the 17.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have both glocks :17,26.I purchased them for this reason should I decide to
    carry a bug.Having same magazines fitting both pistols certainly doesn't hurt
    in a stressful event.

I voted 21SF for the .45 ACP factor but I wouldn't think twice about picking the G17. Great choice. The G34 doesn't gain you anything IMHO unless you're competing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links