Considering an H&K USP, but.........

This is a discussion on Considering an H&K USP, but......... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that since I'm left-handed, that I will need either an ambi-safety or a left-handed one. Therein lies my dilemma....I've been told that I ...

Thread: Considering an H&K USP, but.........

VIP Member

Considering an H&K USP, but.........

I know that since I'm left-handed, that I will need either an ambi-safety or a left-handed one.

Therein lies my dilemma....I've been told that I would have to send the pistol back to H&K to have a lefty version safety installed. Is that accurate or is it something that I can do myself? I know that the safety on the left side would be upside down, as far as the S & F would be viewed.

Why don't H&Ks come with an ambi?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Or you could get one with the LEM trigger and not worry about the safety.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I got a great deal on a USPc that wasn't a variant 2 (left handed control lever). I was considering shipping it to HK to have the work done. After talking with the customer service guy for HK (who told me that a competent gunsmith could install easily). I placed an order for the left handed control lever and it shipped next day. I took it to the gunsmith that I use for all my work and he installed it. IIRC the total cost was under $100. I didn't even consider installing it myself. However, I'm not one of those that doesn't have the time (unfortunately) to do it myself.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No idea bud since for me usp stands for Un Sat Pistol . However if you trundle over to either Park Citys Tactical board or Hk Pro board there are a bunch of hkphiles who literally live and breathe all models of hk who can answer the question . I like pct a bit better myself , but its personal preferance and nothing against hkpro.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Definition of USP

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    For me usp stands for Un Sat Pistol
    USP actually stands for "Ultra Superior Pistol".
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Actually why don't you just order it that way, with a ambi safety. N I just striped mine and it looks like you would need a HK armorer to install it, any disassembly done must be by a Certified HK guy to avoid voiding the warranty.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Or you could get one with the LEM trigger and not worry about the safety.
    I'm not a fan of DAO style triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Actually why don't you just order it that way, with a ambi safety. N I just striped mine and it looks like you would need a HK armorer to install it, any disassembly done must be by a Certified HK guy to avoid voiding the warranty.
    I don't want to pay retail for it. I was hoping to find a used one, since it would be my first H&K pistol & I'm not convinced I'll like it......

I really don't understand why they don't make them ambi....the mag release is...... It look like the Mk23 & the Expert are the only ones that come with ambi-safety.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    USP actually stands for "Ultra Superior Pistol".
    oh, ich habe gedacht dass USP heisst "Universal Selbstlagen Pistole" tut mir leid!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Just to make sure I am not giving some false information I have a PDF file of the HK USP tear-down, and it looks like there is some kind of clip holding the safety in place that may be user changeable, if you PM me with a e mail I will send the file to you if you want.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    oh, ich habe gedacht dass USP heisst "Universal Selbstlagen Pistole" tut mir leid!
    nee, ist nicht wahr
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

HK

I own a HK USPC .45 since 1997 and a HK P2000SK .40 both DA/SA and left handed. The USPC is fantastic and the SK easier for carry due to size. The USP and USPC come in a left hand variant. Suggest you visit HK USA website and for advice visit HKPRO Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Links