Remington 597 .22-LR ticks me off

This is a discussion on Remington 597 .22-LR ticks me off within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gents, I recently scored a Remington 597 .22 with a 3-9x scope for a song. However, the thing can't shoot more than a bullet or ...

Thread: Remington 597 .22-LR ticks me off

Remington 597 .22-LR ticks me off

Gents,

I recently scored a Remington 597 .22 with a 3-9x scope for a song. However, the thing can't shoot more than a bullet or two before it fails. I jack with the action, look inside, sometimes there's two or three bullets in there with one facing backwards...sometimes nothin' at all. It has the metal magazine that's supposed to be a fix, but doesn't seem like it works worth a damn in my opinion.

It's fun to shoot when it shoots, but that's the only good thing I can say about it. Anybody got a fix for these things?

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Have you tried a few different ammo selections? What kind of ammo have you been using?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got one too and it's a total piece of crap. Don't waste your time or energy messing with it. Sell it and go buy a Ruger 10/22.

VIP Member
    I have one in .17HMR & it hasn't missed a beat, no jams or mis-feeds. Have you tried a different magazine.

Also is the .22lr or .22magnum?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    First I would try some various other .22 Rim Fire ammo before you give up on it.

Make sure you have the latest generation mag which is this one.

If that does not work then don't waste any more time on it.
    Either send it back to Remington or feed it to the dogs because the 597 has a nasty reputation for inherent ejection, feed, and cycling problems.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a 597 .22 WMR that I have upgraded with the Volquartsen hammer, ejector, and scope base. I attempted to get a barrel and stock as well but Midway canceled the order after it was on back order for several months. I replaced the old plastic magazines with the latest generation metal ones. The rifle shoot well enough but can be fickle on feeding even with newer metal magazines.

However, after giving the magazines some TLC, I have fixed all feeding issues. Disassemble (the plastic base simply snaps off) the magazines, with fine grit sandpaper sand the metal box inside and out thoroughly, removing all sharp edges and burrs. Sand the plastic follower as well to smooth out some of the edges. Stretch the spring slightly and carefully to give it a little more power. I actually moly coated all the components as well but am sure you could skip that step.

Results: feeds just fine now.

If I had to do over I would get the Ruger.

for some reason the 22lr model has a mag problem. try the above mag f&b. if that don't work, sale it and get a ruger 10/22.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    My wife's 597 works OK with the 10 round metal mag, but works much better with Eagle 30 round mags. She has two of the Eagle mags and one works better than the other. I haven't disassembled the one that has an occasional problem, but I suspect that cleaning it up will solve those problems. She has a lot fewer problems with any of the mags when firing CCI MiniMag ammo than any other brand. She's got some Winchester bulk pack that she won't live long enough to shoot. The only thing to shot it in is a revolver. Nothing will feed it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    ...but works much better with Eagle 30 round mags. She has two of the Eagle mags ... She has a lot fewer problems with any of the mags when firing CCI MiniMag ammo than any other brand.
    I'll have to try the Eagle magazines. MiniMag ammo is the only thing I've tried so far.

Thank you gentlemen. I'll try all those things.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    My 597 seems to prefer remington golden bullet bulk ammo, which is fine with me, given how cheap it is.

Try disassembling the mags and stretching the mag springs a little bit. A little bit of sanding, as was suggested earlier couldn't hurt either. Also, make sure the top round isn't sunk below the rim of the mag when you insert it.

I've heard a lot of people bad-mouth them in favor of the almighty 10-22, but they're really not bad guns. I chose it because it was dirt cheap and considerably lighter and smaller than the ruger. Good luck with yours. They can be great little shooters.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

realy if you don't want you 597 i'll gladly take it off your hands.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My son's had nothing but problems with the old and new mags. They're crap! I've had my .40 mags loaded for over 4 years (occasionally emptied overnight to relax the spring) with ZERO problems. He shoots his 597 and midway through the range session his mag springs seem to "die." We'll try the 30-round mags & see if they work. If not, that rifle is going to be sold/traded or turned into a single shot.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by maximumrob View Post
    Gents,

I recently scored a Remington 597 .22 with a 3-9x scope for a song. However, the thing can't shoot more than a bullet or two before it fails. I jack with the action, look inside, sometimes there's two or three bullets in there with one facing backwards...sometimes nothin' at all. It has the metal magazine that's supposed to be a fix, but doesn't seem like it works worth a damn in my opinion.

It's fun to shoot when it shoots, but that's the only good thing I can say about it. Anybody got a fix for these things?

Thanks,

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your input here. Before coughing up more cash for aftermarket magazines, I put different ammo through it. When I shot it the first time, I used CCI Mini-mags through it (the best, right?). This weekend, I ran CCI Blazers through it and only had four failures in 100 rounds. That's acceptable to me for a $150 gun w/ scope!

I'll probably still buy a 30-rd mag, though. Six or seven shots through a .22 don't last long!

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I've had a 597 since the first year of release. I have two first-gen 10-rnd mags that have yet to fail me (I might be lucky on this) and I had the worst luck in the world with the Eagle 30-rounders (I bought two when they were released) they just did not function for me and Eagle refunded my money and shipping.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Links