Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or.... - Page 2

Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or....

This is a discussion on Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stainless firearms have been the biggest reason that all the new fangled coatings & finishes have sprouted up. Stainless is easier to care for than ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or....

VIP Member
    Stainless firearms have been the biggest reason that all the new fangled coatings & finishes have sprouted up.

Stainless is easier to care for than blued, but some of the new finishes are really great.

For looks, you can't beat a beautiful blue, but if you want rugged than stainless or the newer stuff is the way to go.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I choose stainless for carry - despite the weight. For me it is very much a protection against corrosion due to sweating to excess .... even so I have to watch the small steel elements like slide release, grip screws, trigger etc - they can still rust.

Beyond this aspect I have no major preference and as ever drool over my Smith revo's blue finishes ... that is where aesthetics do have some means to give pleasure.

Does seem tho that with my hand cannons, like SRH's and BFR etc ... there is some perceived enjoyment in a frame that is made out of one big chunk of stainless
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Depends on what I'm using it for. Stainless has never done much for me. I mean I like the way it looks but it isn't a deciding factor. I take care of my guns. With that said I have a Ruger GP100 3" STAINLESS on right now.

Administrator
    I have a "thing" for Titanium also.

A Commander length pistola with a Titanium frame and a Stainless steel slide and barrel sure would do it for me as an ideal carry gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Blued (black) here. Actually tenifer. If you properly care for (lubricate) it, it will not rust. I like the "plain" look. No bling here.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wish my Springfield 1911 were the stainless version. I have a low pH and stainless tends to agree with my body a lot better than other finishes.

I <3 Stainless Steel Handguns.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I prefer flat black. When I lived in Florida I preferred SS to avoid the rust issue in high humidity. Colorado, on the other hand, doesn't know what humidity is (though the word can be found in some dictionaries....). I also think a black pistol under a jacket is less likely to be spotted in a glimmer of light than a stainless pistol - IMHO.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Even though my favorite color is black, I prefer stainless in handguns. I have stainless, blued, nickeled, parkerized, and nitron, but I prefer the stainless in the handguns. In long guns I prefer the darker finish.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Like P95Carry and a few others have said, I always buy stainless because of the corrosion factor. Since I'm carrying while riding my Harley, there is never a guarantee about the weather or if I can get my rain suit on fast enough. That, and the Texas summer heat does tend to make me sweat.... especially with that extra bit of Twin Cam generated heat between my legs.

Leather car seats in the summer can also cause an excess body moisture problem on my back and around my holstered weapon of choice.

My Glocks are the only exception.

I vote stainless for several reasons.
    It's hotter than hades here in the summer, and I always carry IWB. Sweat factor.
    I keep all my stainless pistols bead blasted to a subdued hue, if I scrape it, it goes back into the blasting box for a few minutes and comes out looking brand new.
    Guys say they don't want a shiny gun to show. Mine aren't shiny, but the first thing I want the bad guy to see is a dark hole almost 1/2" diameter, surrounded by some serious looking steel, pointed in his direction.

BAC
    SIXTO and sniper58 said it right for me. Not fond of reflective finishes, or any finish that catches attention.

-B

BAC...I think some folks confuse blasted stainless steel with blued steel as reflective. I've made way more guys with a shiny blue finish as opposed to a subdued stainless steel.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    BAC...I think some folks confuse blasted stainless steel with blued steel as reflective. I've made way more guys with a shiny blue finish as opposed to a subdued stainless steel.
    My only experience with stainless anything has been of the very visible variety, but if it's muted I could agree. I would still prefer a darker color though, because in carrying concealed it will still hide better (due to work my attire is generally dark; yes, it's harsh in summers).

-B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links