Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or....

This is a discussion on Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The same firearm. Rifle or handgun. Equal in all other respects. Everything being the same with the only difference being Stainless steel or Blued or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or....

Administrator

Question Everything Else Being Equal - Stainless Or....

The same firearm. Rifle or handgun.
    Equal in all other respects.
    Everything being the same with the only difference being Stainless steel or Blued or black oxide Carbon steel or any other surface finish on Carbon steel.

Would you personally choose Stainless or the "other" and why? - if you want to...give a reason.

I'm just curious.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd choose anything that wasnt shiny and flashy looking.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I choose the stainless because most people have the evil black pistols, it looks classier, and and less apt to rust
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd go with stainless, but would not be against applying a proper finish or treatment to it for guns to be used where a reflection or shine would be suboptimal. I love the fact that you can do custom work on a stainless gun and you don't need to have it re-blued, and I can definitely see the benefit to having a duracoat type finish over stainless vs. carbon steel.

Administrator
    Way way back I shied away from Stainless due to the very early galling problems.

That is no longer an issue and Stainless with a "blasted" finish is actually less reflective than Hot Blue.

Flat black -
    Oh, that's right, my Glock 23c IS flat black...
    (I call it flat black)...

It actually doesn't make much difference to me. All of mine are 'dark' with the exception of my stainless slide on the P220R. If I was choosing between two side by side of the same model pistol, and no difference in price-----------I'd go for the 'non-shiny' one. Having stainless to me wouldn't lessen my care and maintenance of it anyway. As with anything else, stainless has it's pros and cons-the weight of either depends on one's priorities.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It depends what type of firearm you are buying.I have a ruger security -six that's 25 years old that looks like new and a marlin 60 that's around 10 years old same thing. I think it hides nicks ,dings better.There are better experts on this board than me I am sure they will chime in as this is my opinion as I would not want stainless finish on all my firearms as it's a change of pace for me.

depends on gun style for me. I like my shotgun black, but the stainless would be cool. Handguns have been black in auto and stainless in revolver, but then I broke my own rules when I got my taurus 7 shot revolver black and my xd 45 auto in bi-tone. Not really worried about stainless flashing being it's ccw, home defense duty and range.

It really would depend on the use. I have stainless pistols but no stainless rifles.
    It also depends on the enviroment that it is to be carried. Stainless means just that it 'stains less', it is still subject to rust just not as quick. To me it really makes no differance as long as it gets the job done. I am not a sniper or countersniper so I don't worry that much about reflection. I will say that a Stainless gun looks bigger the a black one of the same size, it is a perception thing, Just as a blackone looks more evil.

Stainless is easier to care for, Blued will have less shine in a fight.

I see stainless as more poserific depending on gun model. I like the stainless for summer carry.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member
    All of my guns are either black or blued except for 2. One is satin nickel, the other is a dual tone. Since it is running 18 black/blue to 2 other. I guess I would have to say black/blue. However I did see a PT1911 in stainless at the last gun show.....she was PURDY!!!! I kept picturing her with custom grips on her. Good thing for me my wife didn't see the lust in my eyes!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Way way back I shied away from Stainless due to the very early galling problems.

That is no longer an issue and Stainless with a "blasted" finish is actually less reflective than Hot Blue.
    Before my retirement I spent 30 years as a machinist/mechanic in the food manufacturing business. Everything is stainless in this business. Tightening fittings to stop leaks, galling was always a problem. We seldom used nuts and bolts after once being used because of this problem.

With this being said, I get teased all the time because I like a little "bling" in my firearms. I choose stainless. The only weapon I have that is plain is my Glock.

Administrator
    Certainly and as mentioned previously in this tread and by me before...if a person intends to do any modifications on a firearm at home then Stainless is the way to go.
    It is such a PITA (and expensive) to send a firearm out for reblue or plating ~ whereas you can refinish and restore Stainless right at home.

I think the original galling problems with Stainless were due to the gun makers using the same formulation of Stainless for the frame and the slide and they were of the same hardness.
    When they started either using two different types of Stainless - one type for the frame & the other for the slide or making them two different hardness levels then the galling ceased to become a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links