Topping off magazine - Page 2

Topping off magazine

This is a discussion on Topping off magazine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by exactlymypoint I have several Glocks, all in .40 caliber. I have many, many magazines. I only use 6 exclusively for defensive purposes. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Topping off magazine

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I have several Glocks, all in .40 caliber. I have many, many magazines. I only use 6 exclusively for defensive purposes. For my Glock 27 (subcompact) the magazine will hold 9. However, I have never been able to put more than 8 in there. The same for my 23s. The magazine will hold 13, but I have never been able to load more than 12.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to topping it off? All suggestions are welcome.
    I assume that you are not using a loader. I decided that it is not worth the hassle trying to squeeze that last round in without a loader. Thus, I always keep one in with my ammo. The problem is that I have to have a different loader for each pistol which is a real pain.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Brand new Glock mags just need to be broken in a little bit. I have found the best way is to load and unload them 3-5 times, then let them sit loaded for a day or 2 and then load and unload again. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

After a week or two, I have no problem in loading them to the top by hand. I have never bought into the leaving them with one round less theory. I have heard people claim that it causes malfunction, but I have never experienced it nor I have ever had it confirmed by any reliable sources. I carry fully loaded +1 in the pipe.

As far as loading assisters, they are nice but I have never made the habit of relying on them. My thoughts (and training) have always come to the conclusion that they can be a hinderance. Chances are you won't be carrying one in combat, and if you need to reload a magazine you want to be proficient at doing it by hand. The only autoloader I have is one for my 10/22 magazines.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

for some unknown reason glock mags does this. no matter the cal. i have had this problem with my g17,19,26,23,27,30,and 36. don't matter it i add plus 2 and/or plus one base plates. if seems that after use they will let me get that last round in. but it is not a over night thing, some it took months before i could.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I haven't had any problems loading my 23 magazines with 13. Just takes a lot of pushing that top round.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

I had the same problem with my G30 9, and 10 rounders. It was next to impossible to get the last round in even after some break in.

I end up taking some of back leg of the follower off. After that the follower would go down far enough to get the last round in, with out any problems.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links