Glock 22 Kb at the range today

This is a discussion on Glock 22 Kb at the range today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range firing my XDs and PM9 today and the guy next to me was firing his .40 Glock 22. About halfway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was at the range firing my XDs and PM9 today and the guy next to me was firing his .40 Glock 22. About halfway through a mag he had a Kb which I took some snaps of on my cell phone. He was using winchester white box ammunition, so I dunno what happened. Didnt appear to be a squib. Pulled the barrel and it looked fine. Weird.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - is it the .40 which has quite a large unsupported area for the case?

Wondering if the round to blame was ''hot'' or even had suffered some bullet set-back. Maybe too it fired out of battery for some reason.

WWB may not be top grade ammo but usually seems well good enough for practice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ouch! You know---alot of folks put reloads in the old factory boxes. Two years ago I had a KB in my G17. I was shooting a box of 'Enforcer' factory produced, second load ammo. It blew the mag right out of the well, and burnt the top of my trigger finger as most of the gas blew out the mag release cut on the right side. The case had a split in it near the base. It was a fresh box, and I had never chambered any of these rounds previously. Since it was a 40 cal, I remember someone here stating the fact not to shoot reloads in the 40's as the chamber is not supported. I don't generally shoot reloads in any of my pistols, but what happened to mine did happen. Sometimes things do just happen, but usually there are reasons behind them. I'd be sending that one in to Glock for a closer look and possible warranty replacement of the frame. Too bad it happened. Was anyone hurt seriously?

Well, he claimed it was store bought WWB, and I saw the box, but anything is possible, I dont know the guy so I cant verify that. P95Carry, yea it was a 40 caliber and I too have heard the unsupported chamber stuff, but never paid much attention to it as I am not a current Glock owner. Ram Rod, his hand sustained minor burns but nothing too bad and no blood was drawn.

kpw
    I bought a 100 rnd pack of WWB from Walmart a while back. I had 3 rounds with considerably short OAL, between .03 -.04 short, new ammo, never chambered. I've found short rounds in other brands as well. I don't know if this could be the cause with a lot of .40 KBs and factory ammo but I wouldn't shoot them in my .40s. I've been shooting .40 Glocks since 1991 and I wouldn't know how many 10s of thousands of rounds. I've never had a problem but there is enough reports to make me look over my ammo, especially .40 before shooting them up. In all those years and all of that ammo, I've only found maybe a dozen bad rounds. Not all .40s either. Glad to hear he wasn't hurt too bad.

Since it doesnt look like it shattered the barrel i bet it fired out of battery

VIP Member
    Did you find the cartridge case?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Did you find the cartridge case?
    No idea if he ever found it. I made sure the guy was ok and we talked about the ammo he was using but that was about it.

Probably bullet set back creating too high of a pressure. Always examine each bullet before loading. And particularly if they have been chambered once already. They can even be pressed in too far right out of the box. From time to time.

No Semi Automatic pistol has a fully supported chamber. It won't work if it does. Garantee to not feed if it's too tight and fully supported. They all have some unsupported area. Glock did make that a bit smaller later on. But more often than not its a hot round. Either from bullet set back or over loaded charge. In this case I would suspect a factory round that had set back. The normal pressure of a 40 round is the same as 9mm. Normal I say... this one was not normal I can betcha.

Someone showed what was called a Kb on a .357 just last week. And recently saw one reported on an AK. They happen to anything and everything. And almost always are the round. Either due to overpressure that causes a case separation or bullet set back causing over pressure. This is over twice the typical round's pressure rupturing the case and yea... it would be in that area less supported that it would tend to bulge out too. Thats only normal. Its the path of least resistance at that point.

That one appears to be a severe overpressure then case failure and blow out down the mag well taking off a piece as it went. Something had to give.

Revolvers too...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

My department has over 300 issued Glock 40s and we have fired millions of rounds through them (high quality ammo including Corbon, Remington and Speer Gold Dot) without a a single kaboom...this has to be an ammo issue as them gun should not fire out of battery.

I also don't buy the myth about Reloads being bad for Glocks. It doesn't matter if it is reloads, WWB or Corbon DPX etc.... if the rounds are not the correct OAL you will incure problems. None of the ammo companies are immune from this, as much as would like them to be. My G23 has digest 95% of my own reloads (FMJ & HP) and I have never had as much as a stovepipe. He needs to contact Winchester and give them the numbers off the box as well as contacting Glock, between the two hopefully it will be taken care of.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Assistant Administrator
    Talking about kabooms .... I assembled a selection on my Gobango.net site .......... some folks may have seen, others not - the pics have been gleaned from the net mainly.

Revolvers too...

Semperfi ........ any extra info on that one? And, may I snag the pic to add to my site kabooms page?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links