The Saga of a new firearm...

This is a discussion on The Saga of a new firearm... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright, so everyone knows I have been really looking at two pistols: the XD .45 and the M&P .45. I had just alllllmost decided on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Saga of a new firearm...

Alright, so everyone knows I have been really looking at two pistols: the XD .45 and the M&P .45. I had just alllllmost decided on the XD again when I went out to the store and put the M&P back in my hand. It feels so good, and the trigger feels much better to me...

My only problem with it is the 10 round versus the 13 round magazine capacities. It feels better, points marginally better, and is cheaper if I buy it rather than have work done on the XD at the Springfield shop...

I dont know. I am kind of waiting to see what comes out of Shot Show '08 in the hopes that a better magazine will surface. I would prefer to buy an American made firearm, but in the end it is what I shoot and carry well.

Just thought I would update everyone on the saga of choosing a new weapon. LoL. I was fine until I went and held them side by side again...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You... like the M&P trigger? That's my major sticking point with the gun - it's the same crappy trigger they put on the Sigma, whereas the XD is single action crisp with enough takeup to make it safe.

To each his own, you will be happy with either gun - but I'd pick the XD, myself.

I think S&W did right with the M&P design, but I would need a trigger job if I got one.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

It feels crisper than either of my XDs, both of which are broken in quite well I think. Both of which still sometimes make me shoot down and left just a tad when I don't think about what I am shooting, and which have a heck of a pull and reset. Maybe its just me or the particular ones that I have picked up.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    When you pull your XD's trigger, are you treating it like a double action, i.e. pulling it straight through with a firm motion? You'll do better to feel your way through the pull - the first quarter inch or so is take up, then the next bit disengages the striker block. When you feel like you've hit a stopping point, that is where the actual sear/striker engagement is being released. If you practice this, you develop a two stage trigger pull - pulling through to the hard point, then breaking it nice and clean. I always want to check out the XD's that people complain about, because I can't believe they are working properly with some of the comments people have about them.

May the powers that be guide you in the right direction. Magazine capacity ranks low on my list of priorities even though it's a plus in it's own right. One needs to be one with his tools as an effective extension of his own being. Comfort and fit relate to that. I'm sure you'll make the right choice all things put aside. I wish you the best of luck.

hm. i much prefer the XD trigger. but whatever floats ur boat
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I prefer the XD but if the MP feels better to you then that is what you should get. Both are good pistols. Don't worry about the magazine capacity. If 10 rounds of 45 doesn't get it done than 3 more are probably not going to help.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    I would prefer to buy an American made firearm...
    Never noticed the "Croatia" on the side of the XD before?

I like mike_1's advice. I'll second that.

-B

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Can you rent them to see which one you shoot best? That's the one I'd go with. 3 rounds is low on my priority list as well if you can shoot it well. Carry an extra mag if that's a big deal. My $.02

I agree with the guy posting above, first.
    The rumblings over at the M&P forum indicate a 14 round .45 mag will be available soon. I have no idea how much it will extend below the grip of the gun. M&P mag prices are also "supposed" to go down a bit. A S&W employee told me that the new mags will likely have a new matte finish that is more durable than the old one, though I have had no problems with my M&P9 mags.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have the M&P 45 and 2 XD 45s. The trigger is better in the MP and it is more accurate (not by much mind you...and certainly not enough to matter in a defensive situation). All in all I like the M&P better due to its ergonomics....and well, I just like it. To each his own. You won't make a wrong decision between the two. By the way, Smith is announcing a Commander (4 inch I think) sized and compact M&P 45 at the shot show and I understand a 14 round mag for the full size and 4 inch. Don't know how they are gonna get 14 rounds in that mag the way it is so I assume it might be extended somewhat.

Bac, the Croatia is what I was referring to, as another point in the M&P's favor. Final Option - thanks for that bit of intel. Guess I'll wait until February to make my purchase then... I'll keep everyone updated on my ongoing escapades lol

When I was searching for a gun, I tried both of these firearms, (in 9mm) and while the exchangeable grips on the m&p were great, the trigger felt like the old sigma's, the take down is more difficult than the xd. I didn't even look at round capacity when I was shopping, just went by which one shot better. While the XD is made in Croatia, I think it is made better. Its all done in a single factory, where it is the entire lively hood of most of the people in that town. They can't afford to mess up the standards, or else they lose business and thus jobs. IMO that equates to a very cautious gun maker. Plus it has to meet the standards of Springfield Armory. While Smith and Wesson makes quality firearms, I don't go with the whole Made in the USA is always better idea. Anyways, if its been said once I'll say it again, find a way to shoot both then make your decision.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I'd love to shoot both, but no one has rentals around where I live, no where even close really. I really would love to, just isn't possible it seems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links