S&W M&P9 FTF issues

This is a discussion on S&W M&P9 FTF issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought my wife a S&W M&P9 for Christmas (I know, I'm the romantic sort, huh?). At any rate, the gun fires fine for ...

Thread: S&W M&P9 FTF issues

S&W M&P9 FTF issues

I just bought my wife a S&W M&P9 for Christmas (I know, I'm the romantic sort, huh?). At any rate, the gun fires fine for her and me, but when my 13 year old son shoots it, it will jam after every round. The next round in the clip fails to feed completely, and i have to drop the magazine and work the slide to get the misfeed to clear. He's using the same ammo that we use (Rem UMC, Winchester, Blazer), but the jams only occur when he's shooting.

He's on the small side, do you think it could be the way he's working the trigger, or ????

Need some help, this is driving us crazy!

2. Remove Ads

Raaze,

First, welcome to the forum.

This MAY NOT be your issue, but you need to be aware that some of the M&Ps have had problems with the mag dropping. When my 9c began to do that, it started with one of my sons. Only later did I have it happen to me. You may also want to check the m&p forum over at smith and wesson.

Now, there may be other reasons that some of the gun guys here could answer, but just be aware.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'd bet it's a grip issue.

A lot of semiauto pistols (though 1911s are most famous for it) will fail to feed or eject when "limp-wristed".
    Try having him keep as tight a grip as possible on it - really squeeze the heck out of it - and see if that fixes the problem. If so, you need to help him work on his grip.

You could also play with the recoil spring - a heavier or lighter spring would probably help, ask one of the 1911 dudes around here.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    Limp wristing... I'll bet you a new M&P your boy isnt locking up his wrist.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I go with the limp wrist threory. The first time I shot a Glock I limp wristed it. Never done it with my M&P.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

If it works for you and the wife but not him, it is definitely a limp-wrist induced failure.

Wink

Thanks for all the responses so far guys. My neighbor just bought his son a Sig Mosquito (.22), and he had multiple FTF's and FTE's on that too yesterday. He called me last nite to tell me he had been doing some research on his own and came up with the limp-wrist theory.

I had my son hold the gun like he was going to shoot, and i was easily able to break his wrists and lift the muzzle. When I told him to lock his wrists he was able to do so such that I couldn't lift the barrel. I think you guys are dead on. I'll take him to the range again this weekend and report back on if there's any improvement.

First problem solved!

Just a follow up on our M&P FTE issues. Turns out you guys were dead-on, it was a weak wrist issue. My son made an extra effort to make sure his wrist was locked and we only had one FTE yesterday on 100 rounds.

Unfortunately, now he's shooting low by about a foot...maybe his over-correcting and pushing down when he first to avoid letting the wrists break?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raaze07 View Post
    Unfortunately, now he's shooting low by about a foot...maybe his over-correcting and pushing down when he first to avoid letting the wrists break?
    There is a good possibility that he is doing this. He's trying not to let the barrel come up, so he's pushing down as he is firing. Low and left usually means the shooter is jerking the trigger as well.

If you have a snap cap, you might be able to watch him try to fire the gun and see what happens when it doesn't go off. As long as he really thinks it will fire, his grip and motions will show you what he is doing.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Got to agree with the limp wrist theory. If it is working good for you and the wife then FTF for him, back to working fine for you and wife I would definitely see how he is holding the gun when he shoots and make sure he is using a good firm grip on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    If it works for you and the wife but not him, it is definitely a limp-wrist induced failure.
    plus one,,, it is limp wristing.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links