Full Mag +1 Question

This is a discussion on Full Mag +1 Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I have been lurking for awhile and have found all the information on this site very informative. I tried searching the archives for ...

Thread: Full Mag +1 Question

Full Mag +1 Question

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for awhile and have found all the information on this site very informative.

I tried searching the archives for this question, but I didn't see a similar thread.

My question is: I have seen a lot of people state that they carry a full magazine plus 1 in the chamber. So, this is generally accomplished by loading a single round through the ejection port and then putting the mag in the gun - correct?

I guess a follow up question would be - isn't that kind of a pain to deal with?

Thanks,

Jason

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    No it is never a good idea to load a pistol that way. You load a full mag into the pistol and cycle the slide, loading a round in the chamber. You than drop the mag and insert another round in it toping it off and inserting back into pistol.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    No it is never a good idea to load a pistol that way. You load a full mag into the pistol and cycle the slide, loading a round in the chamber. You than drop the mag and insert another round in it toping it off and inserting back into pistol.
    Mike
    +1 (ditto)

what they said.....from what I understand the reason why is wear and tear on the front of the case ejector or "claw". I don't think 1911's will even let you do this....my Kimber won't. So just stick with loading the "+1" the same way everytime w/ every firearm. From the mag!!!

BTW....welcome to the forum
    Colonel

Working for the railroad is like:
    Playing in the Superbowl everyday, winning the game, and still having practice tommorrow.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Were are my manners? As colonel said welcome to the group.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Never drop a round into an empty chamber. You stand a good chance of damaging your extractor. That way, it has to ride up over the rim against the breech face and try to engage. When you first load out of a magazine, the extractor slips under the rim and settles in with it. Let me welcome you here also!

Administrator

Post correction

With a 1911 you insert a full magazine.

Rack the slide to chamber a round.

Put The Thumb Safety To The On Safe Position.

Eject the magazine and top it off.

Reinsert the full magazine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome.

I keep a mag with one round in it by the safe.

Insert 1rd mag and rack slide. Then insert full mag. Go on with life.

It is very extremely rare that one of my carry guns is unloaded. I carry two different guns and they are either on me or in the safe locked. Both always loaded unless I'm smithing on them or cleaning them after range time. Then they get loaded back up again.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Might be safer with little ones around Tubby, but sure takes a long time when the weapon is needed desperately! A gun in the safe is worthless when the door comes crashing in.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Always better to feed the gun the way it was designed, via the magazine. Welcome to the forum.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Might be safer with little ones around Tubby, but sure takes a long time when the weapon is needed desperately! A gun in the safe is worthless when the door comes crashing in.
    That's why there's always one on my hip. If my carry gun is in the safe it's because I'm sleeping or having a few beers.

I have one gun loaded in my safe upstairs next to my bed. A turn of the key is all it takes. It is there more for my son not getting into it than burglars. My carry gun goes in there at night. Whenever I'm home and not drinking, I am armed.

I have a similar safe in my closet with two loaded handguns as well, same setup but the safe is behind my clothes and the key is always in it, as my son can't reach that high.

Right now I'm carrying my 10mm 1911. Been so since I got up.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

RE:

Thanks for all the replies to my question. You have really cleared things up for me. I am hoping to be taking a CCW training class with some other family members in the next month or so.

Thanks Again,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Mike

yes,yes,yes. this is the best way to do it. safety first.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    All of the above are correct.

When I remove the magazine that holds my self defense ammo and the bullet that is currently loaded so that I can shoot for practice I always remove a few bullets so that I am not constantly loading the same bullet. Continuously loading the same bullet can cause your bullet to set back which may cause a problem. I recall some pictures and discussion about this here or on another site.

Sometimes I just leave that bullet in the gun and shoot it out and when putting the magazine back in load with a new bullet. And sometimes I just empty the magazine of SD ammo by shooting, then practice, and load the magazine with new SD ammo.

This most likely isn't that big of a deal but I do it anyway.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Links