Gun Auction Sites, the good, the bad, the ugly?

This is a discussion on Gun Auction Sites, the good, the bad, the ugly? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone purchase weapons from any of the auction sites? What are you experiences? Give me the good, the bad, the ugly. Thanks, Jeff...

Thread: Gun Auction Sites, the good, the bad, the ugly?

Question Gun Auction Sites, the good, the bad, the ugly?

Anyone purchase weapons from any of the auction sites? What are you experiences? Give me the good, the bad, the ugly.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

2. Remove Ads

Keep in mind that you're purchasing from the seller, not the auction site as such, which is really just a fancy classified ads system.

So, in the end, ask yourself what precautions you could possibly take making a purchase from someone living in another state with whome your only contact so far has been a newspaper classified ad.

Get the telephone number of the person, so you can speak on the phone, instead of doing everything via PM's and emails. Ask appropriate questions, until you're comfortable about both the firearm and the seller. If agreeing to purchase, get the serial number so you can verify it's not stolen prior to transfer and prior to sending any money. Use an escrow service if the value or your concern is sufficiently high. Require the firearm be sent from a reputable FFL shop so that you can ask questions of that shop about the firearm prior to sending the money. Send a cashier's check from your bank via registered mail, return receipt, which provides a trail to track the funds if issues arise. Sight-unseen, there isn't much more you can do.

That said, I've made a few purchases (and sales) through Gunbroker. No issues so far. But then, I take various precautions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I kinda shy away from buying anything I cant see or touch up close and personal. Lots of good deals on the auction sites, I suppose,but enough bad ones to make me think twice.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I've bought from Gunbroker and Auctionarms and had absolutely no problems. Just take the precautions mentioned already.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    No issues from Gunbroker or AuctionArms. Bought 4x on GB and 1x on AA. Take your precatuions. I send a Postal money order as it adds another layer of security. Most will ship USPS and if you pay via USPS, wrong-doers face mail fraud if things go awry.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    I've bought from Gunbroker and Auctionarms and had absolutely no problems. Just take the precautions mentioned already.
    Great advice. I have purchased from Gunbroker & Auction Arms without problems. I would also shy away from buying from brand new sellers or sellers with any current MAJOR problems that are not just the buyer complaining about petty things.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

I've bought and sold a few guns from gunbroker, everything went fine.
    Except once, where it took forever to have a set of mags sent.

I just sold a Weatherby 22-250 on gunsamerica.com and within 24 hours I had 5 offers to purchase it. I only had two pictures but it is in excellent condition. I was asking $1500 and it will be shipped out through a friends FFL as soon as I get the postal money order and the FFL of the guy that purchased it. I've got it boxed up and ready to go and just boxed up the rest of my 22-250 ammo to ship to him for free.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I've bought 20-30 on Auctionarms and a couple on gunbroker. Never been burned. I am careful to select experienced sellers and I scrutinize their feedback before I bid.

jw

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I bought my P220 through gunbroker and had no problems.

The only on-line web site I have used to purchase a firearm is at Gallery of Guns.com - Gun Gallery, Ruger Firearms, Shooter Online Services, Firearm Industry News, Firearm Dealer, Gun News . I get on the sites you've mentioned to look and browse, but have just shyed away from making any purchases with any of them.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Bought my Commander on Gunsamerica, seller had a brick and morter store, checked on Google. The FFL they hooked me up with was a bit scary though. Now that my nerves settled,would do it again.

I bought from Gunbroker and AuctionArms a couple times.

I never really had any problems but I don't now buy that way. Your success will depend on who you buy from, which doesn't have anything to do with the auction site itself. On one gun, I'm a little leery and suspect that the seller might have used parts from a different, older gun, although he claimed the gun I bought was brand new. I couldn't really prove anything. And I never dealt with those sellers before.

Nowadays, when I buy something online, I buy from a proven, reputable dealer.

Links