Who does Cowboy action?

This is a discussion on Who does Cowboy action? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Holy cow, if you guys never been to an SASS event, its worth checking out. It looks like a load of fun, and a great ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does Cowboy action?

Administrator

Who does Cowboy action?

Holy cow, if you guys never been to an SASS event, its worth checking out. It looks like a load of fun, and a great way to blow your kids college fund.
    I've never shot in an SASS event, so I really dont know much about it. However, my inner child's attention has been grabbed, and I need to learn about something new.
    I know some of you have to be into it, so tell me all you know! I want to know what the hot set ups are, what is needed, whats not needed where and what to buy.
    What are the brand guns to have? 45LC or 38/357?
    I was playing around and shooting some AWA's, they seemed pretty nice, but I have no idea what I'm talking about with these kinds of guns.

learn me up good!
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I've shot a couple of SASS Matches.

It's been said that Cowboy Action Shooting is the only sport where men talk about their costumes and women talk about their guns.

Personally I have a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros in Stainless Steel, .357 Magnum 5.5" Barrel. Even if you decide to shoot in some of the other classes the .357/38 is a good "starter" caliber to learn on. It's cheaper to reload or find ammo for.

As far as a rifle goes, this is where the bulk of my money went. I'm shooting an 1866 Lever Action Uberti in 38 SPL. It has a smooth action, good working action and is so dependable it's my "House Rifle" too.

There are basically two choices for Shottys. SxS or Pump. Personally I use a "slicked up" Bakail 12 Guage, very good value for the money spent. Just remember to have the safety disconnected so you can fire it without having to "fiddle" with the safety. Please be careful and don't use it for anything else if you do this though.

I use a strongside hip holster, with the belt turned around backwards so that I can carry my 38 SPL reloads up front, I buckle it in the back. My second gun is cross-draw. Make sure you turn before you draw or reholster, or you will get DQ'ed. In short, don't break the 90 degree plane. My 12 Guage shells are in a shotgun belt, above the pistol belt. All cartridge loops are filled 2 skip 1, 2 more (Shotty Belt and Pistol Belt).

CAS is a lot of fun and sort of the Old West IDPA. At most ranges you will meet a bunch of nice people and they will help you out. At my first match, I already had the guns, but ran out of ammo. I was loaned some ammo by one of the competitors, and another let me put my guns on his Gun Cart so I didn't have to carry them from stage to stage.

Show up in jeans and a cowboy hat if it's your first match, I did. I also had my boots and working spurs on, as well as a pair of real working chaps. I have the stuff and I've worked as a ranch cownurse in the past, so it was fun to play. As you get more in to the sport you will start accumulating "period correct" clothing.

Have fun, enjoy and shoot lots of ammo.

Biker

BTW: smooth sided shotgun shells work better than the "ribbed" version.

They do look like fun, and a very practical way to practice. Now if you didn't have to dress funny and make up those silly nicknames...

Administrator
    I dunno if I actually will do a match, but it does seem very interesting and a different genre of shooting to learn. I'm thinking it will help out with point shooting too.

Like I said, my inner child is interested, not sure if my bank account is. I'm the type that gets interested and has to learn as much as I can about it. It doesnt mean I will actually get to do it though- it seems like a ton of money to spend.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SASS grabbed my inner child too.

More $0.02 worth of free advice:

Shoot Traditional, two handed. It's not a Bullseye contest, but accuracy is important. Watch the front sight! Don't worry about being fast, just have fun and be smooth. Accuracy beats speed any day of the week.

You will be amazed at how much time you "make up" by hitting your target compared to the new shooters that try to go fast. Most ranges will have someone walk you through the course and be right beside you as you shoot your first couple of matches. I don't know if the club I shoot at does this as a courtesy, or if a SASS rule. It's nice to have.

Make sure your guns are UNLOADED, actions open on the long guns until you get to the loading table. After you are at the loading table make your you don't kneel down to put something under the loading table. I got called on this as I'm used to wearing a loaded gun and crawling under houses, cars whatnot.

You probably won't need all the guns for your first match. Show up with a pair of sixguns and some ammo and somebody will let you borrow their rifle and shotty, I'll bet ya. I had all the guns and ammo, but no leather. Then, I ran out of ammo. Not to worry, SASS really is about the "Code Of The West" and doing the right thing. People help each other out. I wish the rest of society was like that.

Biker

Sixto,
    CAS is a blast. It's the only "organized" shooting sport that I participate in at this time. Rather than duplicate a bunch of stuff here, I'm just going to point you to some of my web site pages. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here or drop me an email at hoss@kansascas.com .

My Home Page

About Me (how I got into CAS)

My CAS Firearms

My "Home" club's pages

Photos of our annual shoot
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Check out the SASS web site and there forums, plenty of discussion about guns, ammo and such. Head to a local event, the people are friendly and will be more than willing to help. A good friend of mine is very involved in the sport, most of the "gamers" (he and wife are regional champs) both shoot .38 to ring the steel. He started with 45LC and changed over. This is both for rifle and pistol if that helps at all

I've been looking to get into this as well at some point, just need to find the money to purchase some guns.
    Here is an interesting site I came across recently: CAS CITY - COWBOY & WESTERN ACTION SHOOTING WORLDWIDE

There are link at the bottom to SASS and other sites.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Administrator

Many are using the U.S. Firearms Basic Rodeo at only around $550.00 ~ Beautiful Gun.

Here is the link to U. S. Firearms. The Original Rodeo Gun

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There was just a great show on the Outdoor Channel last week. May still be running. Showed/discussed everything from weapons needed/choices to costumes and nicknames. Pretty entertaining. I may need to try that at some point. Even looked like something the Mrs. might be conned into......any excuse to buy clothes!

Administrator
    I dont know what is more fun... playing cowboy for the afternoon or looking at all the supernice cowboy guns that are out there!

So to be set up, you need a pair of pistols, a rifle and shotgun... right? You have to compete with all three I'm assuming.... in other words, I cant just compete in the pistol stages/events or just shotgun, right?

Also, the mounted stuff look way cool, but there is no way shes going to let me get a horse for this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto, I don't believe that you must have all three of them. It depends on which events you want to compete in.

One thing I have heard from people that participate, is that for new shooters there are folks that are willing to let you borrow their guns during the events for those that may not have a shotgun or rifle etc.

It appears to be a very friendly, and family oriented competition. Others that participate regularly will be able to provide much more information.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I tried to do Cowboy Action with my wife once... she didn't like it... the spurs was the biggest issue.

Administrator
    I hate borrowing stuff, guns esp. I would rather just buy what I need if I decide to give it a whirl. Lord knows I have enough on my plate as is. I dont know if I will or not, but its darn fun looking for all the cool stuff I would need to do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I tried to do Cowboy Action with my wife once... she didn't like it... the spurs was the biggest issue.
    Whoa there!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links