Glock 17???

This is a discussion on Glock 17??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want a 9mm as a I have a Sigma .40 caliber and after getting used to the trigger I love it but I have ...

Thread: Glock 17???

Glock 17???

I want a 9mm as a I have a Sigma .40 caliber and after getting used to the trigger I love it but I have a want for a Glock. I am looking at the 17 and was wondering if anyone had anything bad to say.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The G17 is a great pistol! It is the one that started the polymer revolution. I would choose it as a duty weapon if I had the option. Its little brother is what I carry every day. Everyone should have one in their collection.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Glocks are awesome weapons. Easy to use, easy to take apart, easy to clean. They are the AK47 of handguns. The torture test they have survived is incredible.

Chuck Taylor (gunwriter for Combat Handguns) as of over a year ago, had over 180,000 rounds through his Glock 17. He cleans it every 10,000 rounds! I can send you a copy of the article, it's too big of a file to attach here (so I found out).

The G17 was my first----of several Glocks. A couple have come and gone, and likely more to come. Nothing bad to say at all.

Got a 17 and two 26's. I want more. Easy to use, clean, feed and have never had a FTF or FTE. I have an AK too. Same theory. Ugly is as ugly does. To be honest, guns are not objects 'd art, thus ugly is moot, as is "pretty".

I was going to buy a 1911 of some sort as a second gun, but after I started looking at Glocks, I ended up going with a G17. I bought it brand new, field stripped it, and put 350 rounds through it on the first day I shot it with no issues. It's got a sleek profile and conceals really well for a full size service pistol, it's accurate, fits my hands well, and parts are cheap and plentiful. After doing some reading on ballistics, I came to the conclusion that the 9x19 caliber works well for personal defense (especially with the right ammo, which seems to be the lighter +p loads), and thus have no reservation with using my G17 as an EDC weapon. I like the Glocks so much that I've been considering another one in .40 or .45.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Buy one...the 17 is an awesome gun. I've got one that has been flawless through about 3,000 rounds and a 19 that hasn't had a single malfunction with over 10,000 though it (and I only clean them every 5-600 rounds or so).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

It's a good gun (yes a 1911 guy will admit it occasionally ).

I owned one before and sold it. I didn't sell it because of failure (tried, but couldn't make it fail). It just didn't feel right in my hand and I came to realize that 1911's are the only way to go for me.

That said. The G17 is a good gun.

edit:
    You're best bet is to find a range close to you and RENT both of them for a few hours. Figure out which one suits you best and go with it.
    Last edited by packinnova; January 30th, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: forgot
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I shot quite a few guns today among them a 17 and a 21. I am going for the 21! I just want the power. Thanks for the input!

Mods, please close thread!
    Smith and Wesson SW40VE -SOLD
    XD9 4'' -Current
    Kimber Ultra Carry II- coming

Gotta have big mitts for that 21! Like holding a 2x4.
    Years ago I was forced to carry a 17, and did OK with it. Never liked the 9mm or the way it felt in my hand (grip angle). But it was a trustworthy, solid weapon. You know how the old song goes...Always make an ugly woman your wife...

Consider the 21SF if the grip is too fat on the regular 21...

Austin

Everyone should have at least one G17 it is a piece of firearm history!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have a Glock 17 for home defense, and I carry a Glock 19. And Iím planning on purchasing a Glock 26 to round out my collection.

Iíve had the G19 for over 10 years, and LOVE it. My only advice is make sure you get the 3rd generation with the finger grooves. While they looks funky, it sure helps at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by del slo team View Post
    I want a 9mm as a I have a Sigma .40 caliber and after getting used to the trigger I love it but I have a want for a Glock. I am looking at the 17 and was wondering if anyone had anything bad to say.
    You will NEVER go wrong with a Glock!
    It is 100 times better than that Sigma 40........
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

the glock 17 was my first of many glocks. you can not go wrong with it or any glock.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links