AK-47 pistols - Page 3

AK-47 pistols

This is a discussion on AK-47 pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok...our hang up here is in MI law. In MI a rifle, by any other name, must be registered as a pistol if the overall ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 pistols

Ok...our hang up here is in MI law. In MI a rifle, by any other name, must be registered as a pistol if the overall length of the rifle (or shotgun, for that matter) is less than 30", regardless of barrel length (presuming that the barrel is at least 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns and you don't have a stock on anything with a barrel shorter than either of those).

In my earlier example, say you have a Mini-14 with a standard wood stock. Fine, MI says it's a rifle, and you cannot keep in in your vehicle with you unless you are enroute to a place where you can use it. But, if you put a standard issue "Mr. T. A-Team" folding stock on the rifle, POOF MI now calls that a pistol because the overall length of the gun IN OPERABLE CONDITION is less than 30" (You can fire with the stock folded), and it must be registered as such. In the case of the AK, put a folding stock on a standard AK, and POOF in MI you have an "AK Pistol", as it were.

Whether or not there is a stock attached, or if it's a folding stock, makes no difference. So long as the barrel length keeps you out of the Short Barrel Rifle trickbag (keeping in mind that a stock on a anything less than 16" will indeed land you in that trick bag), it's the overall length that makes a pistol a pistol in MI. Put a pistol grip on your 28" barreled 870, and it's still a shotgun. Throw an 18" barrel on, with the pistol grip...and now you've got a MI pistol that must be registered as such.

Since the original poster was inquiring about MI law, I'm not sure if he was talking about an AK with a 6" barrel and no stock, or a standard barrel length AK with a folding...or no...stock, which would make it a "pistol" in MI.

Damn...that's clear as mud, eh?
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayoh View Post
    Im new here, Im new to Carrying, Im new to the hobby in general so excuse me please if Im asking this in the wrong place.
    Is carrying one of these ak pistols legal? I live in Michigan if thats relevant. Thank you in advance.
    As I read this post (again), I think many of the replies are going WAY too deep and some people are reading a lot more into this post than was intended. As I read the original post, there were three initial comments made. (A), the poster is new here, (B) he - I'll assume it's a man - is new to carrying a gun, and (C), is new to shooting sports, period. That is all pretty straight forward and shouldn't need much, if any, discussion. The only actual question that was asked was whether an AK style pistol is legal to carry. OTOH, The use of the word's "hobby" and "carry" by the OP seems to have sparked a lot of the discussion in the replies as well as a lot of stuff the really has nothing to do with the original question.

While I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time of the last ), I don't believe the OP meant that CC is a hobby and/or the AK was meant as a serious carry pistol. Let's try not to get too serious with the new guy... or ourselves. If we can't talk among other guns owners and users without every utterance or phrase being dissected and analyzed, we will never have a hope of converting non shooters and anti's to our side.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

If you can register it as a handgun in Michigan, you can carry it. But, why would you want to? If it's that bad in the neighborhood, I'd move; but, I also support your right to carry it if it's legal.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Ok...our hang up here is in MI law. In MI a rifle, by any other name, must be registered as a pistol if the overall length of the rifle (or shotgun, for that matter) is less than 30", regardless of barrel length (presuming that the barrel is at least 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns and you don't have a stock on anything with a barrel shorter than either of those).

In my earlier example, say you have a Mini-14 with a standard wood stock. Fine, MI says it's a rifle, and you cannot keep in in your vehicle with you unless you are enroute to a place where you can use it. But, if you put a standard issue "Mr. T. A-Team" folding stock on the rifle, POOF MI now calls that a pistol because the overall length of the gun IN OPERABLE CONDITION is less than 30" (You can fire with the stock folded), and it must be registered as such. In the case of the AK, put a folding stock on a standard AK, and POOF in MI you have an "AK Pistol", as it were.

Whether or not there is a stock attached, or if it's a folding stock, makes no difference. So long as the barrel length keeps you out of the Short Barrel Rifle trickbag (keeping in mind that a stock on a anything less than 16" will indeed land you in that trick bag), it's the overall length that makes a pistol a pistol in MI. Put a pistol grip on your 28" barreled 870, and it's still a shotgun. Throw an 18" barrel on, with the pistol grip...and now you've got a MI pistol that must be registered as such.

Since the original poster was inquiring about MI law, I'm not sure if he was talking about an AK with a 6" barrel and no stock, or a standard barrel length AK with a folding...or no...stock, which would make it a "pistol" in MI.

Damn...that's clear as mud, eh?

Hehehe... I am lost... yea.. we got off on a side track there didn't we but... it ain't OUR fault. Its these dam crazy laws!

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    If you can register it as a handgun in Michigan, you can carry it. But, why would you want to? If it's that bad in the neighborhood, I'd move; but, I also support your right to carry it if it's legal.
    I still don't know if the OP was talking about a 6" AK pistol or a MI (standard barrel length) AK "pistol" with a folding stock.

But livin' up dhere above da mitten, you can't tell me dat dhere aren't times dat you'd like to have what da rest of da free world calls a 7.62x39mm carbine, but what MI calls a pistol...what wit all of dem wild hogs gettin' into yer potatoes 'n cabbage dat youin's grow up dhere in God's country. I sure wish I lived up there.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Ah heck, pack it and have fun...like many say here, concealed means concealed..Now, where are you from again so I can assure I am not around...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I have this and it's fun to shoot and is classified as a pistol, but I wouldn't even dream of carrying it as my concealed carry. I would hate to go to court and have to justify defending myself with something that resembles a machine gun seen in every movie in the hands of usually the bg.
    Attached Images
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Let me clear some things up here.
    Im new to shooting handguns. Thats what I was refering to as a hobby.
    I got my cpl (Michigans term for a ccw) in April. So Im new to carrying as well.
    Ive taken courses beyond that which the law demands, as well as taking my time at the range and the farm to hone my skills as best as possible. I take my commitment, right, and ability to carry very seriously. I also take the responsibilities that come along with it seriously.
    That being said...
    I questioning the legality of the stockless, 6 inch barrel, 7.62x39 ak-47 pistol.

Sorry if I was unclear, used improper terminology, or came off like a cowboy. Im new to alot of this.
    Im in law school and am studying the laws as concern firarms as much as posible, but they frequently make so little sense Im not sure that I understand them correctly.
    As I said in my second post, I would never dream of carrying one of these. Its just a novelty, and would be a nice gun to have as it could share ammo and mags with my 'oh-crap-here-it-comes gun', a romanian ak-47.
    And although I might go ahead and blow any credibilty I may have established... they are pretty sweet friggin guns.

It appears you have some weird definitions up there in MI.

All of the stuff I related about them was straight BATFE federal stuff. The Feds seem to see it differently than Michigan in some regards. Unfortunately.

CCW is the very reason I purchased my Keltec PLR 16, a .223 pistol.
    I CAN have it on my person, I CAN have it on the seat next to me in my truck and NO the city officer cannot have this weapon because it is not in the 'approved carry weapons list' that the city has.
    The LEO is insanely jealous and that pleases me to no end.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    CCW is the very reason I purchased my Keltec PLR 16, a .223 pistol.
    I CAN have it on my person, I CAN have it on the seat next to me in my truck and NO the city officer cannot have this weapon because it is not in the 'approved carry weapons list' that the city has.
    The LEO is insanely jealous and that pleases me to no end.

Gee, I always would be insanely jealous at anybody who has a 3rd rate gun. After all, almost every PD in the county now has some form of AR/M16 patrol rifle issued, I really wish I had a KelTec.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Gee, I always would be insanely jealous at anybody who has a 3rd rate gun. After all, almost every PD in the county now has some form of AR/M16 patrol rifle issued, I really wish I had a KelTec.
    Now, now...play nice. LOL

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoh View Post
    And although I might go ahead and blow any credibilty I may have established... they are pretty sweet friggin guns.
    You've got my vote!!!!!
    Sorry I misunderstood the OP. But I'm right with you. They're very cool pistols!!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

this is my vector arms pistol. i use it as one of my HD guns.

War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

that is modified lots. seems it would jam a lot as the ejector gas piston is so shortened. any one ever fired one of those? Cant see cc at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links