AK-47 pistols

This is a discussion on AK-47 pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im new here, Im new to Carrying, Im new to the hobby in general so excuse me please if Im asking this in the wrong ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 pistols

AK-47 pistols

Im new here, Im new to Carrying, Im new to the hobby in general so excuse me please if Im asking this in the wrong place.
    Is carrying one of these ak pistols legal? I live in Michigan if thats relevant. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have never seen an AK pistol. Any pics or links? thanks. Carrying anything registered as a pistol should be legal , however very impractical and probably not going to look go should you go to court.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Technically - yes it's a pistol so - could be carried.

But as Rocky mentions ....... it will almost for sure if used defensively land you in some hurt. It would almost for sure get an immediate ''assault'' label which in itself is not helpful!

As a fun gun for range etc ... huge grin factor IMO - but not actually necessarily a very practical beast - people love the muzzle flash tho I hear!!

To imagine one - just take as much barrel length of a regular AK as your imagination permits - and no stock - that'll be close!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Why would you want to?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm with P95 and rocky.

The main thing you would REALLY need to be concerned about is overpentration. A 7.62x39 at self-defense ranges on the street will probably cut right through your target and very possibly whatever is beyond him. You would need to be DAMNED sure you have a concrete bunker or earthen berm for a background if you need to shoot. I would HIGHLY suggest you pursue another route. AK's of any size are going to be very hard to conceal - and for the size you could probably conceal four handguns that total more ammo. But concealment, yeah.. That'd be a pain. Those banana mags are going to complicate it terribly. And I'll tell you man, if I saw someone printing a Blondie at the grocery store I'd be staying real close to them and eyeing them very carefully.

What if you ever get stopped by a cop? I'm not sure there is a LEO in the United States that is going to buy that you are carrying a Blondie for SD.

The complications involved are far too high, honestly.

Rocky: This is what he's referring to (I believe):
    Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale prices.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I ran across this on a Google Images search, pretty darn cool!

Could it be the perfect "truck gun"? I wouldn't want to try to carry it concealed, though.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Its not legal for concealed carry here in SC... we have a length limit and these are far above it..... but they are so fun. They are pistols in technicality only. And can be a nice compact alternative to an SBR. Fairly handy house yard home defense apparatus.

Here is one I built. I keep this hanging on the wall next to my Lazy Boy...

Administrator
    Lots of cool factor but, I could list 100 other handgun/firearms that I would rather carry on a daily basis.
    Maybe when the polar ice caps get finished melting and the Earth turns into Water World - might be ideal for carry then.
    In the real world - forget it times 10.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Lots of cool factor but, I could list 100 other handguns/firearms that I would rather carry on a daily basis.
    Maybe when the polar ice caps get finished melting and the Earth turns into Water World - might be ideal for carry then.
    In the real world - forget it times 10.
    I agree, these are pretty cool and would be a fun gun to own, probably a great truck gun kind of thing too, but carrying one screams "I'm compensating for something". I do like the one with the nice wooden grips and holo site I posted above, though... :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    .....Pete those things are AWESOME. Whoa!! I'd love to have one of those but yeah.. again.. not for carry. Unless It was using it as a CCW in Iraq or something.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    cphillip...
    is that a .223 ? That magazine doesnt look like it has enough curve in it...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    cphillip - You did a beautious job on that build. Nice crisp & neat.
    I could see myself having some great outdoor fun with that.

In MI if the barrel is 16", but the OAL is under 30", it has to be registered as a pistol. Some errant gun-phobe dreamed that law up. Here's the thing...in MI "truck guns", per se, are illegal. You can't just tote a rifle or shotgun around unless you're going somewhere, specifically, where you can use it (hunting, range, 'smitty, etc...). You can't just keep a rifle or shotgun tucked in the trunk.

BUT...with the goofy "anything under 30" must be registered as a pistol" law, if you have a rifle (INSERT TYPE OF RIFLE HERE) with a folding stock and a 16" or longer barrel....or for that matter a pump shotgun with a folding stock...you have to register it as a pistol. SO...that means that in MI that gun, a rifle or shotgun by any other standard, can be a CCW gun.

SO...to have a "truck rifle" in MI, it actually has to be registered as a pistol. Go figure. Just don't go putting a stock on anything with less than a 16" barrel lest you own a Short Barrel Rifle and end up on BATFE's short list.

In my line of work, I'm by myself in rural areas frequently. The two legged critters not withstanding, a rifle, er...excuse me...a folding stock pistol with a 16"+ barrel, may prove prudent. Last fall I found myself on some back roads in an area that was being heavily hunted by bear hunters. The guys were running the area with dogs...setting up on the mile roads and letting the dogs run. All I could do was change out my mags stoked with .45 acp 165 gr Pow'R Ball with 230 gr FMJ. I would have felt better with with something that launched 7.62x39.

That's my take on an AK type system as CCW.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why would you want to?
    Ditto... get a better hair cut if you want ot look cool.... lol!

Quote Originally Posted by jayoh View Post
    Im new here, Im new to Carrying, Im new to the hobby in general so excuse me please if Im asking this in the wrong place.
    Is carrying one of these ak pistols legal? I live in Michigan if thats relevant. Thank you in advance.
    Carrying that gun would be foolish it would not hide well. play with it at the range carry it in your car if you wish. You would just be asking for trouble if you carried it. As for being a hobby ( Carying Chl is a way of life not a hobby)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links