XD Thumb Safety

XD Thumb Safety

This is a discussion on XD Thumb Safety within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was on the Springfield web site and noticed this tonight. Springfield Armory So what do you guys think? Good or bad? Mike...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XD Thumb Safety

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

XD Thumb Safety

I was on the Springfield web site and noticed this tonight. Springfield Armory
    So what do you guys think? Good or bad?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    I think its just one more unneeded doo hicky that can fail.
    "Just blame Sixto"

xd is fail safe as it is, or was

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I think that it was added to allow officers whose agencies require a manual safety to pursue the XD as a carry option.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I think that it was added to allow officers whose agencies require a manual safety to pursue the XD as a carry option.
    Thats what i was thinking. I don't like the idea of another safety.

Lead Moderator
    The thumb safety seems to work for the 1911, maybe not a bad idea. Now they can eliminate the trigger safety?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I agree rocky, after all, you don't have to use the thumb safety - it's still your choice. I think that 'trigger safety' is really part of the drop safety.

Maybe the same logic applies to the XD as the 1911. Although the 1911 does have a much more 'sensitive' trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

If they had this as an option when I bought mine a year ago I would have paid extra for a thumb safety on my XD. Now I am comfortable with just having the trigger and grip safeties and like to keep it that way.

I am not one that believes additional safeties are automatically a bad thing. Until I bought my XD, I had never had a problem with forgetting to disengage the external safety on any weapon I own. It is just a habit/muscle memory that has been built up. Like the story about the officer that shot multiple BGs, reholstering between shots because that is how he practiced. If you practice with your gear it becomes a habit and when the chips are down you "fall to the level of your training". If that has included drawing and thumbing off the safety then that is what will happen.

I said "until I bought my XD" because I have forgotten on a handgun since then. When I bought my XD I practiced with it a lot before I would carry it. I carried my USP (which has a thumb safety) during this time when I was out, but as soon as I got home I carried the XD (without a round in the chamber at first because that was one of my issues). I would go to the range and practice with the XD but I did not fire my USP during that 2-3 month period of time. Once I got very comfortable with the XD, mostly carrying a round in the chamber but firing as well, I switched. The next time I went to the range I brought both pistols and the first shot I tried with the USP I squeezed the trigger and it felt hard, I thought it was just because I was used to shooting the XD so I pulled a little harder and still nothing now I am sure that I have a malfunction! I unload and take it apart to see if there is something in it. Since I haven't shot it in 3 months, it hasn't been cleaned in 3 months so that's got to be the problem, but it's not! I forgot to take the thing off safe! Who knows at what point I trained myself out of taking it off safe, but the scary thing is I have been carrying it every day! If I got in a bad situation I would have forgotten as well!

The lesson I learned here is carry the same gun in the same place every day. If I don't do that, at least carry the same type of gun. Don't switch between a 1911 and a Glock. If I do, then practice with both all the time. Never practice with just one because that might be the time I unlearn the habit that I need.

I carry my XD 40sc every day. I want to buy a 1911 (because JD and Lima shoot them and I want to be JD when I grow up! hee hee) but if I do it will either become my EDC or it won't, no half-way about it.

I don't want one. I'll admit that I don't I train enough as it is. As sixto said, one more thing to fail. Also one more thing to train on, which I guess is OK if you train a lot. (failure to fire drills would have to include checking the thumb safety)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I like it...you don't have to use it, but it's a nice option. And all the other safety features that people love saying are just one more thing to fail, aren't failing. I have confidence that SA did just as good a job on this pistol as all the ones they have put out in recent years.
    P.S. I probably wouldn't use it, but my wife feels uncomfortable with me carrying my XD9 with 1 in the chamber now...because there isn't a safety...so I could at least tell her my new pistol(hopefully) has a safety...I don't have to tell her if I use it or not...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I like it, If I ever get around to getting another, I wont have an issue with it.

I agree with Sixto... one more thing that can break.

Other than the added potential for failure though, I don't mind thumb safeties. As others pointed out, it may enable more LEO's to carry an XD in the future... although I would think any LE Agencies that allow Glocks would allow XD's.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Hmmm. Did my pre-safety XD just increase a little bit in value? Heh. A most unlikely collectors' item?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    Hmmm. Did my pre-safety XD just increase a little bit in value? Heh. A most unlikely collectors' item?
    No.

FWIW, the lack of a thumb safety has nothing to do with why the XD is not a popular option among LE, take a look at all the top players in the LE market... no thumb safeties for all but one, maybe two models. I could tell ya'll something, but most will just argue with me, so I wont.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    As far as the XD is concerned, I think that adding a thumb safety is an solution for a non-existent problem.

It could be a hold over from the Military looking for a new gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links