Guns in school, teach shooting.

This is a discussion on Guns in school, teach shooting. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Perhaps now we are thinking correctly. W.Va. considers gun training in schools - Yahoo! News...

Thread: Guns in school, teach shooting.

Guns in school, teach shooting.

Perhaps now we are thinking correctly.

W.Va. considers gun training in schools - Yahoo! News

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    ...I'm still baffled as to why gun safety isn't part of the grade-school cirriculum. Bully to WV for going this route, though! Anything is better than nothing.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I remember in 1990 I was in middle school and we had to do a speech on a process of some kind. I chose to do it on how to clean a gun. I brought in my Mossberg 500 to school and stopped at the principals office and he said that it was fine and that he would just keep it there until time for my class and to come and get it right before. I did and gave my presentation, got a good grade and no one was harmed. ha! Funny, how things have changed. Imagine even bringing up that idea now.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

BAC
    Allenruger, a friend and I discussed doing something very similar for our sophomore year public speaking class, which was at a local community college. The assignment was to demonstrate something, as long as it was legal, to the class, and he planned to show the class how to field strip an AR while I would show how to clean it.

Didn't fly with the professor. We made sandwiches instead.

-B

BAC, I like sandwiches as much as I like guns. Then in college, I had a speech class with the same project. I live in a tobacco farming community so I thought that these "city folk" wouldn't have a clue about raising and cutting tobacco. I brought in a tobacco tomahawk (cut tobacco stalk with this) and a spear (put on the end of stick so that you can slide the stalk onto it) as props. Boy, my professor had a fit. After my presentation she asked my why I brought in WEAPONS. I told her we called them tools. She didn't like that but let it go. ha!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

The great motivator - nothing like a hole in the budget to get them to come around - works every time. Maybe it'll catch on like CCW has.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Money makes the world go round.

Thats great though. I hope they get it through and then other states start following suit. I was surprized that even the Brady bunch had some positive things to say. Of course, they will probably be lobbying for their part to be inserted entitled, "Now that you have seen how fun, simple, and safe this is we want to take a few minute to tell you that GUNS ARE EVIL! and we want to take them away."
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Lead Moderator
    Guys, you have to remember, we're living in a free country where most school districts have banned tag and dodgeball as being too violent!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I did a paper on the Clinton gun ban for one of my college English classes. I even had an interview with my local sheriff as one of my resources. I don't think the prof was pro 2A at all and made me change some resources as she thought they were too biased. it al turned out good though as it made me dig for the actual laws in the federal code of regulations instead of just some summaries i was going to use. Once I had that she couldn't argue with me any more. i also got a great grade on the resources i used. She even asked to keep the CD of the interview as an example to the next class. I don't know if i altered her views at all but at least I got a fair shake.

To keep this on topic, I agree that basic firearm safety should be taught to everyone. Even if they will never own or pick up a gun the rest of their lives.

Well Back in the day, We had a shooting team in Highschool and Jr Highschool.
    4H taught gun Safety, Cub scouts taught gun safety and all scouts carried a pocket knife. I used to carry my Hunting rifle to school in my truck so I could hunt on my way home. The day of course was pre 1966. way back before the laws passed in 1968. Back when one could still mailorrder a rifle and it would be sent to your home, without a middleman.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    I remember in 1990 I was in middle school and we had to do a speech on a process of some kind. I chose to do it on how to clean a gun. I brought in my Mossberg 500 to school and stopped at the principals office and he said that it was fine and that he would just keep it there until time for my class and to come and get it right before. I did and gave my presentation, got a good grade and no one was harmed. ha! Funny, how things have changed. Imagine even bringing up that idea now.

I hear ya! In 8th and 9th grade I used to carry on the bus garbage bags of 12 and 20 guage shot, shot gun shells I sold to a teacher for 5 cents a piece. He reloaded them. Couldn't do that either these days.

I agree, they should teach gun saftey in school. I guess it is too taboo for some to talk about.

When I was in High School (60's) our school had a rifle team (state-ranked) and an in-door rifle range. Times have sure changed.

In my outdoor education class [1979], one of the things we did was shoot clay pigeons. Bring your own shot gun to school . Left it in the car. The shooting was done at a nearby farm. If you didn't like guns you didn't have to shoot and your grade was not effected.

Links