Can a spouse purchase a gun for his/her spouse

This is a discussion on Can a spouse purchase a gun for his/her spouse within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can a wife/husband buy a gun in NC, where a pistol purchase permit is need ed to purchase from dealer, and just give the gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can a wife/husband buy a gun in NC, where a pistol purchase permit is need ed to purchase from dealer, and just give the gun to their significant other as a gift? Without the need to give up one of their pistol purchase permits

Administrator
    yes, but is a permit needed to posses is the question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not sure, but here in NY it is absolutely prohibited. ONLY the purchaser can get the permit in his/her name, for the firearm purchased.

If this is a gift, best bet is to have the recipient get their permit, then give them a gift certificate for them to get their own firearm. In NY you can also get reciprocal permits, where all firearms are cross-linked on each spouses permit.

You might want to check with your local sheriff's office on this!

Good Luck!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    Not sure about the specific NC permit issue.

As far as purchase from an FFL is concerned, the answer is a qualified yes.

The purchase would be fine so long as it was intended as a genuine gift and the recipient is under no legal disability that would prevent them from buying the firearm themselves.

If, for instance, the wife were 21 and the husband 20, you hit a murky grey area where it might be legitimate, but it could also arguably be a straw purchase.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

That is a good question. Depending on the specific laws, that could be considered a 'straw purchase'. Have you researched the laws in that area?

correct

im trying to its kinda difficult because of the time difference between Bahrain and the US. I cant find any answers on Google

Senior Moderator
    It would appear that both parties must have a purchase permit in the situation in the opening post:

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell,
    give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the
    purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the
    sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver
    possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain
    a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction,
    typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies
    throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-402(a)

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
    So the wife would have to have a purchase permit to buy the pistol in the first place, and then the husband would have to have one (or an NC CCW) in order to receive it as a gift.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Didn't know that was legal anywhere. Strictly Forbidden in MI.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

In PA its allowed. I can actually give my gun to my dad and he can give it to my brother legally.

My wife did call the sheriff and found out that with my CCW, when I get it, I can use a gun that is "hers" for CCW. Which leaves me to believe if the gun isnt reported stolen then there shouldn't be any issues. We don't have to register our guns anyway...i sent an email to the NC Dept of Justice. We will see what happens.

Yes it is allowed. You will just have to register the gun in your/her name for it to be your ccw. thanks again

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Wow, If I'm understanding this right, You need a permit to buy a gun? How long does that take and if you have one, can you walk in, buy the gun and walk out with it right after the purchase?

I had no idea that the states verried so much until reading post on this forum. In Colorado, they do a back ground check that usually takes about 45 minutes. If it comes back good, then you can walk out with it then and there.

If you have a CC permit you don't need the pistol purchase permit. And yes you can walk out the door with the pistol. As I said in a different post prior to getting my CC permit 11 years ago I would go to the Sheriffs dept and ask for a pistol permit, you fill out some paperwork and in a couple days you come back and buy the permit. They are $5.00 each and good for five years so I would by 5 and just keep them in my safe so when I ran across a good deal I would have what I needed. The idea was is this would keep a person from buying a handgun in the moment of rage. Doesn't really work, does it??
    Back to the OP this would only be needed if you wanted to change the official ownership of the weapon. You're wife can purchase a handgun and you can carry it, shoot it etc.... it is just the legal ownership still belongs to her. This makes total sense and I would think most states have similar laws otherwise it would be real easy for felons to obtain firearms as long as their spouse was felon free.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

It is not a straw purchase if that is what you are worried about as long as the buyer does not know or should have reasonably known their spouse was prohibited by law from owning a gun. Now some states that don't realize we have rights may have draconian laws that say otherwise but in free America this should not be an issue.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

In MN...

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Wow, If I'm understanding this right, You need a permit to buy a gun? How long does that take and if you have one, can you walk in, buy the gun and walk out with it right after the purchase?

I had no idea that the states verried so much until reading post on this forum. In Colorado, they do a back ground check that usually takes about 45 minutes. If it comes back good, then you can walk out with it then and there.
    You need a permit to purchase or a permit to carry to buy a handgun. The permit to purchase takes about 10 days max. and is free from your local police. It is good for a year and either/or must be shown when you buy. When you buy the gun you go through the normal FBI check. I have never had one take longer than 1 minute.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

As others have mentioned it would be legal to buy a gun and gift it to their spouse, or anyone else who is legal to own it. Now, if you gave your spouse the money to go buy it for you, you start walking on shakier ground. this according to the ATF. State rules my restrict it of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links